Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Engineering

Options
  • 31-08-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, anybody doing computer engineering in september or anyone know anything about the course? :) Any info appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I did the one year add-on. You'll like it, that's if you have a passion for Computers and Electronics. There is alot of theory involved, but as the course progresses, there will be even balance of self learning and course work.

If you're serious about the course, pick up some books on development and possibly and Ardurino board for your own development and tinkering with. No need to go to any great expense though as most can be pick up on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Scan111

Thanks for your reply! :) Yeah very interested in the course, is their a lot of theory or what else is involved? :) Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I'm going into second year Electronics & computer eng, its the same course as computer eng. I really enjoyed it last year. Its evenly balanced between theory & practical stuff. some of it can be difficult but if you go to every class/study at home you will be fine.
    There is a lot of maths evolved in nearly every subject so get to know your scientific calculator.
    The subjects are
    Analogue electronics & Telecommunications-some lectures, 4 hour labs per week
    Maths
    Software development- learning Java
    Digital Electronics- 2 hours labs per week, as well as lectures
    Electronic workshop- designing and building a power supply from scratch. 3-4 hours per week. all in the lab
    Communications- half of this is Microsoft word/powerpoint/excel- the other half is learning about technical writing.work relationships, giving presentations all that sort of stuff.

If you go to every class the lecturers will do there best to help if you are struggling with anything, there is a guy who puts on extra classes during the day if a few of you are finding the maths/software difficult. karl is his name and he is very good.

The new Engineering building it top class. The year will fly by so a little study every night and you will breeze through it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I would stand by Karl Fitzgearld as a maths tutor. He knows his stuff and usually keeps up to date on what notes lecturers provide, so he'll certainly be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Scan111

Kool, thanks so much for your replys! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement