Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT6e Fake?

Options
  • 31-08-2012 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Bought this cat6e of Ebay, looks completely different from standard.

Sending it back just wondered what you guys thought.

The colours are different and the twisted pairs aint so twisted.

Questioned the seller for a diagram on wiring but couldnt answer me nor explain the difference on the colour.

The sent me a replacement and I got the same thing, sending that back too (at thier cost)

0A5D32995FA049D1BF097AC8391B9BF6-0000340684-0002991839-00800L-6A6B390C53A446AA9D737BE073EF42F7.jpg

Comments

My cousin got some of this on Amazon too. The fact it's not twisted would make me iffy, would be quite lossy over longer distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Karsini wrote: »
    My cousin got some of this on Amazon too. The fact it's not twisted would make me iffy, would be quite lossy over longer distances.

One of the first things I noticed to be honest, then I copped on to the colours and was like WTF?:confused:

Even though I am only running about 10-15 foot lengths I still wouldnt chance it.

If you dont mind me asking what did your cousin do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The colours aren't that mad tbh. You have a light and a dark of each colour per pair which to me seems to equate: Orange = Orange ; Light Orange = Orange/white etc.

The lack of twists however is wrong. Plus CAT6E should have foil shielding shouldn't it ?

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    The colours aren't that mad tbh. You have a light and a dark of each colour per pair which to me seems to equate: Orange = Orange ; Light Orange = Orange/white etc.

The lack of twists however is wrong. Plus CAT6E should have foil shielding shouldn't it ?

Ken

There is no light orange, orange/white to begin with!

There is no colour to match the orange core but a white core was placed in the same section, However I see your point but as these are non standard colours, how do I know they represent the colours on all other ethernet cables is what I asked the supplier.

I dont think they have a clue what they are selling TBH and they have no idea that they are fake.

The second batch I got there is a tiny twist in the cable but barely noticable, again not like standard cable/requirements

There are different types of CAT6e, STP would be shielded but this is UTP (unshielded)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Apologies. I read somewhere recently that in order to utilise the full 10Gb capacity of CAT 6 Enhanced (500MHz) over the maximum 100M run it needed to be foil shielded to reduce ANEXT.

Either way what you were sold is bogus.

Ken

Apologies. I read somewhere recently that in order to utilise the full 10Gb capacity of CAT 6 Enhanced (500MHz) over the maximum 100M run it needed to be foil shielded to reduce ANEXT.

Either way what you were sold is bogus.

Ken

Your 100% right ken that would be needed to get 10gb but all I want is 1gb so the shielding isnt needed

If you dont mind me asking what did your cousin do with it?
    He didn't seem to care and used it anyway. If it were me I wouldn't have.

Karsini wrote: »
    He didn't seem to care and used it anyway. If it were me I wouldn't have.

My thoughts exactly, it may not be Fake but its not of good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Might be no harm to post a linky to wherever you purchased so as others can avoid?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Should look like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dantheman2

Hi
    This is certainly a fake cable. CAT6e doesn't even exist. There is CAT6 and CAT6A, no 6e.
    CAT6 only requires more densely twisted pairs than 5/5e, it does not have to be shielded (STP/UTP) and the colours make no difference. The insulation will probably be of poor quality though, and the lack of twisting will make the cable lossy. Also looks like aluminium conductors - again confirming it is a fake cable as all CAT* cables are copper conductors.
    Probably would be alright for short patches, but I wouldn't change anything over 1m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

batman_threadres.jpg

Advertisement