Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC fooked

Options
  • 31-08-2012 1:29pm

Hay,
    My pc I build a good while back is acting the ham,

Basically I got a virus and tried getting rid of it.

Rebooted and she wouldnt boot.Gets to welcome to Windows then black screen with mouse pointer.

Fine i said and booted in safe mode no probs.
    Decided to roll back the system a few weeks to a restore point,
    that went fine,rebooted
    Same prob but now I cant even get into safe mode :(

No if I get a win 7 cd (the one Ive been looking at for the last year and cant find now)

do a repair will the licence be fine to use again?
    never had to do it before

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, a repair should solve your problems. If you can't find the disc, you can always download and burn another one. It's the license that's of value. I have links to some Windows 7 images in my signature.

Make sure that you don't write over your old install when booting from the DVD for repair.

Absolute gent!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

What makes you think its a virus....?

The boot dir. could be corrupt....or the HDD could be on the way out (worst case scenario)

I had a browser based virus right before this happened so its my only guess.
    All my browsers were being directed to this poxy babylon search engine thing.Was driving me nuts trying to get rid of it.
    This this **** started straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 IamSatai

As far as I know, Babylon toolbar isn't a virus. It is installed with various ad-supported software packages on an opt-out basis. You most likely were installing something, and never unticked the box asking if you wanted Babylon toolbar to be installed. I suppose you could consider it to be malware, simply for how irritating it is. Not really a virus though.

What did you do to try get rid of it? If you started messing around in the registry, you may have changed or deleted something important. If that's the case, or it is a virus, a fresh install of win7 should do the trick. If not, it could be a hardware issue.

• Advertisement

cheers for the feedback,
    Did a fresh install last night and all is good.
    never knew about the windows.old folder.Very handy as I thought I lost all my pics.

That babylon thing is a nightmare,couldnt shift it at all.
    Still not 100% sure what happened but I'll be back playing skyrim later
    Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Bingo481

Nice one mate, glad you got sorted.

Advertisement