Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Work and Travel Visa Refusal

Options
  • 31-08-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi myself and my girlfriend applied for our j1 work and travel visa there yesterday morning at the US Embassy (all the hard ground work had been done with IIIC etc, this was the final interview and clearance) I have finished college and am just coming up to a year out. She is just finished 1st year in NCAD and has managed to get a deferral of her place in fashion. I was given my visa but she was denied. Now the woman at the desk was not very nice at all and barely asked anything. She had her deferral letter and the IIIC had foreseen no problems. Has anyone else been refused? Have you reapplied? If so with any success?

Refusal code is Section 214(b) Not demonstrated sufficiently strong family, social and/or economic ties to our place of residence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You need to be a graduate to get the 1 year J visa. You are a graduate and got your visa. She isn't a graduate so did not qualify for a 1 year J visa. I think all she would qualify for at the moment is the summer J1 visa if she goes back to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

**** Moving from US Travel to USA forum, where US Living/ Visa questions go ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

You need to be a graduate to get the 1 year J visa. You are a graduate and got your visa. She isn't a graduate so did not qualify for a 1 year J visa.
    No, you don't. It is open to current students and recent graduates. The reason she was refused was stated in the opening post:
    Refusal code is Section 214(b) Not demonstrated sufficiently strong family, social and/or economic ties to our place of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DualtaJones

Thanks for the move, yeah its open to graduates of under 1 year and current students.

Does anyone know someone who has reapplied and been successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You need to be a graduate to get the 1 year J visa. You are a graduate and got your visa. She isn't a graduate so did not qualify for a 1 year J visa.
    No, you don't. It is open to current students and recent graduates. The reason she was refused was stated in the opening post:

Fair enough, when I looked into going on the year long J1 in 2009 you had to be a graduate to get the visa, not 1 or 2 years through a course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

To be honest, I know very few people who have been refused, unless they had lengthy overstays or drug charges in their background.

I wonder if the girlfriend has ties to the USA that may invalidate her ties to Ireland? Ie family over there that makes the embassy think she will stay? How many years is the defered fashion course? Has she ever had a J1 before?

She has family in Chicago, but we were travelling to NYC. She can only defer for one year, and was told that the only reason she could defer was because of the prospect of getting a job in fashion in NYC, she handed in a letter stating as much. She has no over stays, or criminal charges. She went around the world with me, but in that respect our collection of stamps in passport are identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jessymoore86

I don't think you are allowed to work in fashion either on that visa?

IIC didnt mention anything about a restriction on fashion as a course. The US visa people basically said they didnt believe she would return.

did she have a job offer form with her to show she would return and how many times had she been to the states before?

• Advertisement

yup. Sure she had 3 years left in college in Dublin to do.

that is nuts! did she have proof from the college that she was returning ? .. Poor girl, and she has never been to the states before?

We'd been twice. Yeah a letter from college stating how it wasnt a normal thing to be allowed a year off from NCAD. But because of the experience she could get in fashion in NYC theyd let her go.

oh, seems the college shot her in the foot - sorry for you guys! Really depends who you get at the window

Yep, almost everything lands on those 30seconds you get to speak to someone.

Advertisement