Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make this man a Mod. Like NOW!!!!!

• 31-08-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

As those who police our toing and froing on this board develop an aversion to those who prefer good grammar to abominations such as "I should have went" and "I seen.." and threaten to hand out infractions for sneering at other poster's poor means of expression, allow me to introduce a politician who is proud to be a "Grammar Fascist!"

Alan Duncan, British minister of state at the Department for International Development, has issued a memo demanding that his staff refrain in their internal communications from using jargon terms like "Going forward" and verbs like "To Mainstream" and "To Leverage" and that all written material should be grammatically correct with some attention being paid to a plain style of expression.

Sounds like the sort of person we need here. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Good idea, let's run it up a flagpole and see who salutes it.

That's some blue sky thinking, right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

"going forward" is not jargon. Just bullsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Im actually an undercover mod would you believe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

He sounds like a dickhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Is '****ehawkery' a valid expression?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i would not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Is '****ehawkery' a valid expression?

Yes. Fourstarehawkery is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Revert back to me on this would you?"

GAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Alan Duncan's the short gay one, right?

Always came across as a pompous little prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

'Reach out' - ugh. Why not say 'contact'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Seems entirely reasonable.

Though, given the choice, I'd prefer it if he paid a hit squad to mercilessly hunt down anyone who uses those phrases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I bet he has some great blue sky ideas about how to promote synergies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

humbert wrote: »
    Seems entirely reasonable.

Though, given the choice, I'd prefer it if he paid a hit squad to mercilessly hunt down anyone who uses those phrases.

I seen that earlier.

Their must be something more to this.

FatherLen wrote: »

i would not.
    Just, just....just feck off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Make this man a Mod. Like NOW!!!!!

This is Boards not Facebook. We 'Thank' posts here not 'Like' them. And don't tell me what to do (although I did read it as 'Lick' and may have jumped the gun).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Come on now Teddy, we all know you're the Irish version of brummytom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I avoid clichés like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Well done that man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'd like to add that anyone, anywhere that ever uses the word 'revert' as 'reply' should be shot from a cannon into the sun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

give him a break; he's just trying to encourage some joined up thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

At the end of the day, when all is said and done,
    this man has an ax to grind about getting all his ducks in a row,
    we go through the motions and always look on the bright side and in due time all's well that ends well going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Irregardless of what you all think - I think its a perfectly cromulent idea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Confab wrote: »

Making verbs out of nouns is banned, you see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

My boss isn't too bad for business phrases. One he is fond of however is 'suck it and see'. I'm sure it's referring to some candy with a mysterious centre filling, but still..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

he might if you said it in bold type

Come on now Teddy, we all know you're the Irish version of brummytom.
    elaborate or withdraw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

He should create an action plan to put some focus on his idea and to see what the dollar value of it would be. I'd recommend a DMAIC cycle to ensure continued improvement in the target areas. He should also implement a RAG (Red, Amber, Green) status check for any actions assigned to this project so that the end goal can be achieved within the agreed timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I have a colleague at work who is a smarmy little brown-nosing piece of shit. He constantly uses this type of jargon / corporate speak because he believes that it makes whatever waffle he ejaculates from his word hole more important.

He'll say stuff like 'we can leverage that material going forward.' I lost patience with him one day and said 'can you not just say 'use?' That's what you mean, right? 'Use?'"

Dickhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

British minister of state at the Department for International Development

Glad to see the Brits are keeping up the old international development strategies.

"Make everyone speak the Queen's English!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Out of curiosity dose he correct English Essays as well. If so I'm game to have him as a mod, if everyone else is.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"CONTACT AND TOUCH FAITH"

No, it doesn't really fit the rhythm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

As those who police our toing and froing on this board develop an aversion to those who prefer good grammar to abominations such as "I should have went" and "I seen.." and threaten to hand out infractions for sneering at other poster's poor means of expression, allow me to introduce a politician who is proud to be a "Grammar Fascist!"

Alan Duncan, British minister of state at the Department for International Development, has issued a memo demanding that his staff refrain in their internal communications from using jargon terms like "Going forward" and verbs like "To Mainstream" and "To Leverage" and that all written material should be grammatically correct with some attention being paid to a plain style of expression.

Sounds like the sort of person we need here. :)

What about punctuation, smart ass?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

While I despise most business speak, I at least understand what most of it means.

But I've never understood why people say "going forward."
    It always seems unnecessary. Superfluous even. I guess what I mean to say is, the sentence would still make sense without.
    It simply seems to mean "going forward in time," unless I'm missing something.
    I've always taken our forward motion through time for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

While I despise most business speak, I at least understand what most of it means.

It always seems unnecessary. Superfluous even. I guess what I mean to say is, the sentence would still make sense without.

Maybe we could move forward from this and allow the guy be a mod, then we can see where it takes us from there, thinking about it I can only see positive things happening from this. (chat like that like :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

What about punctuation, smart ass?

Thanks for reaching out with feedback. I'll action that and revert to you ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Some of us have evolved to a higher plane of existence. Linear time, How quaint ;).

Advertisement