Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving on from a rubber bit?

Options
  • 31-08-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭

I recently became the very happy owner of a beautiful ISH mare. She is used to being ridden in a rubber loose ring snaffle which I find okay for flat work but she gets strong when we canter or jump. I have tried her in a metal French link loose ring snaffle but she really disliked this and fought it so I am back with the rubber now.

I tried a running martingale with the rubber bit but it made very little difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something stronger (?) I could try that is preferably rubber?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

How old is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

She's just turned 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is it stopping or turning you have problems with?

Is it the metal of the bit she doesn't like or just the french link?

sup_dude wrote: »
    Is it stopping or turning you have problems with?

Is it the metal of the bit she doesn't like or just the french link?

Stopping is not too bad, turning is harder. I can get her to stop but it takes a second to register with her. Turning she will toss her head so I really struggle to keep her from falling on to her fore and just taking off.

I think it was the metal she disliked rather than the french link - she chewed it a lot and tossed her head over and over. I left it on the bridle for a couple of days to see did she just need time to get used to it but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Obviously, after going through all the possible pain and displacement possibilities, have you tried a rubber jointed snaffle with cheek pieces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭baldyshane

How about a Happy Mouth version of what you are using. It should be slightly harder than the rubber but more easily accepted than the metal.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Obviously, after going through all the possible pain and displacement possibilities, have you tried a rubber jointed snaffle with cheek pieces?

Yes her teeth were only checked a few weeks ago when she was vetted. She is in perfect health and fully sound. She seems to have settled into my yard well, already has a friend in the mare stabled opposite her! :)
    baldyshane wrote: »
    How about a Happy Mouth version of what you are using. It should be slightly harder than the rubber but more easily accepted than the metal.

Out of the two bits mentioned here which would be considered the gentler option of the two? I don't want to go from something really gentle to something too harsh that she ends up rejecting bits all together...

Neither bit would be too harsh if used correctly. The happy mouth would be a gentler bit but, if used right, the cheek pieces are (in my own experience) very effective at improving turning and (to a certain degree) stopping. A happy mouth would be a good alternative if you're not happy with the other :)

Advertisement