Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Harry interviews the Invisible Obama

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

davet82 wrote: »
    Anybody catch Clint Eastwoods interview with 'Obama' at the Republican Convention last night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=933hKyKNPFQ

I thought it was very good :pac:

A lot of reviews said it was everything from weird to downright depressing!

Its started an internet trend which Obama has even got into - "Eastwooding": http://www.thejournal.ie/president-obama-burns-clint-eastwood-via-twitter-579306-Aug2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

He's very jittery and seems nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I was hoping he was joking. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Everyone laughed at Clint.
    Unsure if Clint was trying to be funny though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Biggins wrote: »
    A lot of reviews said it was everything from weird to downright depressing!

cringing and embarrassing would be a better description, he really looks like an old fart rattling around a nursing home now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sky is the limit

Cringeworthy, he called the imaginary Obama an "attorney" seemingly unaware that he actually has a full degree in law:confused: Sad when your heroes sell out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I was actually pretty sad. That man was a hero to me until 5 mins ago! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Clint is a legend,

But he has gone down in my estimations since I seen that. I don't particularly feel Obama is great, but I think Romney is a potential lunatic if he is not one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

What a system?

You cant get elected unless you have millions of dollars and 10 celebrities to entertain the dopes that believe change is coming

Stick with movies Clint. Dont be an old patsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sky is the limit

Colmustard wrote: »
    Clint is a legend,

But he has gone down in my estimations since I seen that. I don't particularly feel Obama is great, but I think Romney is a potential lunatic if he is not one already.

Yes I agree he has that "vacant" look that Bush and especially Reagan had,its unnerving!

Colmustard wrote: »
    Clint is a legend,

I used to respect Charlton Heston till he became a complete gun nut also.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Its started an internet trend which Obama has even got into - "Eastwooding": http://www.thejournal.ie/president-obama-burns-clint-eastwood-via-twitter-579306-Aug2012/

Zing!!

Oh that Obama... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I respect Clint Eastwood even more for this.

I wouldn't vote for Romney, but lets face it, the easy and the popular thing for any mainstream celebrity to do is go along with the popular youth/ media driven opinion and back the winning horse.

The fact that Eastwood doesn't do that, and knowingly backs the wrong horse because he feels Romney is the best man for the job (or the lesser evil, indeed) demonstrates why Clint Eastwood is a hero, not just a celebrity.

Clint Eastwood is not a typical conservative. He's not a typical liberal either. He does what he thinks is the honourable thing based on the situation that confront him and taking into account his own moral outlook, not the ideology that talks down to him. Therefore, he is a man.

Zing!!

Oh that Obama... :pac:

Instant 'burn' !!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't have anything to say for Heston but that interview was edited to make him look far worse. Moore is a pandering hack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

smash wrote: »
    I was actually pretty sad. That man was a hero to me until 5 mins ago! :(

its true what they say about meeting your heroes... well in this case watching them on youtube making a fool of themselves with some ill adviced skit involving an invisible president at a republican convention...

jesus you couldnt make this shít up :pac:

Cringeworthy, he called the imaginary Obama an "attorney" seemingly unaware that he actually has a full degree in law:confused:
    Oh my Days.
    Well that is just a step too far Clint.

I said
    A Step Too Far.

I used to respect Charlton Heston till he became a complete gun nut also.

Yeah snap

I use to love his films but now when watching them I just think "out of my cold dead hands".

"Those damn dirty apes" who want my guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I watched the convention live here in Michigan and thought Clint's contribution was frankly odd - a rambling and uneven performance, delivered in a doddery style. It was hard to watch. Even the Fox contributors had their misgivings.

On a wider note, in the last few days the Romney campaign have done a pretty good job of humanising the man - allowing those close to him to give accounts of his warmth, humour and generosity, something the stiff himself is incapable of projecting in person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Actors, please stay acting.
    Singers, please stay singing.

Just shut your mouths when it comes to politics............ even if you were once the mayor of Carmel or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Clint is a pretty moderate conservative, he is pro choice and pro gay marriage so i wouldnt go labelling him a right wing nutter just yet.

Clint was only there to appeal to the moderates.

But Eastwoods stance and endorsement of Romney might actually do more harm to his support from the hardline element of the republican camp.

later12 wrote: »
    ...Clint Eastwood is not a typical conservative. He's not a typical liberal either. He does what he thinks is the honourable thing based on the situation that confront him and taking into account his own moral outlook, not the ideology that talks down to him. Therefore, he is a man.

...A 'man' would do any honourable thing - on any side of the fence - he would also hopefully see a complete bunch of liars and war-profiteering party when it exists too!

..And the Republican ideology don't talk down to most people - it wants to walk all over them!

Example: The current Paul Ryan (Romneys partner in crime):

Paul Ryan on Entitlement Programs
    -Voted YES on limited prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients. (Nov 2003)

…Forcing the poor more so to pay up or they get no help whatsoever!

Paul Ryan on Education
    Rep. Ryan went along with the Bush Administration in supporting more federal involvement in education. This is contrary to the traditional Republican position, which included support for abolition of the Department of Education and decreasing federal involvement in education.

…Taking the government right into the classrooms of children!

Paul Ryan on Civil Liberties
    -Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
    -Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
    -Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)

…ALL meaning that individual rights would further be seriously curtailed or even cancelled!

Paul Ryan on War and Intervention Abroad
    -Voted YES on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)
    -Voted YES on emergency B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Apr 2003)
    -Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)
    -Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)

Paul Ryan on Womans Rights?
    Thats a whole big mess that has been in the news lately and he's NOT winning the female vote!

[/B]

Yes I agree he has that "vacant" look that Bush and especially Reagan had,its unnerving!

Definitely a Bush.

History is good to Reagan he is now known as one of America's great presidents. I know it didn't seem it at the time, but he was instrumental in dismantling the iron curtain and opening up China.

But he did deregulate the banks and here we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

This is the most boring and least interesting thing I've ever seen on YouTube and I've watched annoying orange!

It was just a bad and stuttery speech. He really has no business talking about politics. He's an actor!

...A 'man' would do any honourable thing - on any side of the fence - he would also hopefully see a complete bunch of liars and war-profiteering party when it exists too!

..And the Republican ideology don't talk down to most people - it wants to walk all over them!

Example: The current Paul Ryan (Romneys partner in crime):
    I don't believe for a minute that Eastwood doesn't see the faults of Romney & Ryan. His priority in terms of this campaign seems to be concerns over unemployment, which is a valid and a worrying problem for ordinary decent Americans. Eastwood is the everyman's hero ; while I don't agree with his politics, we cannot put him into the mad, bad republican category at all. He's just doing what he believes is right, and I respect him for that difficult position enormously. It was the completely honourable and manly thing to do.

MAN CRUSH INTACT.

later12 wrote: »
    I don't believe for a minute that Eastwood doesn't see the faults of Romney & Ryan. His priority in terms of this campaign seems to be concerns over unemployment, which is a valid and a worrying problem for ordinary decent Americans. Eastwood is the everyman's hero ; while I don't agree with his politics, we cannot put him into the mad, bad republican category at all. He's just doing what he believes is right, and I respect him for that difficult position enormously. It was the completely honourable and manly thing to do.

MAN CRUSH INTACT.

Its an honourable thing to do what you think is right indeed - but sadly in this case, he unfortunately is not able to apparently see some possible home-truths.

Maybe that can be put down to his age but the general consensus is that besides his speech last night being from bad to absolute dire and strange, it has done his record a dis-service.

...And thats a pity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/clint-eastwood-speech_n_1844908.html?utm_hp_ref=politics
    Mitt Romney probably hoped that surprise guest Clint Eastwood would make his day at the convention. Instead, the 82-year-old actor gave a rambling speech that was as disastrous as the botched bank robbery that he stopped in "Dirty Harry" while playing a jaded San Francisco cop.
    Eastwood talked to an empty chair representing President Barack Obama. Eastwood, who praised Romney as a "stellar businessman," later said that he thought it was never a good idea for attorneys to be president, despite the fact that Romney, like Obama, has a J.D. from Harvard Law School.

BIG opps!
    UPDATE: 11:20 p.m. -- The Romney campaign seemed to grasp how Eastwood's bizarre, rambling, unscripted speech fell flat. "Judging an American icon like Clint Eastwood through a typical political lens doesn't work," was the campaign's response. Aides winced backstage, according to the Associated Press.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The strange was that he actually did think that Obama was sitting in the chair. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The strange was that he actually did think that Obama was sitting in the chair. :eek:

Do really think he thought that?

Advertisement