Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Harry interviews the Invisible Obama

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Romney is the biggest flip-flopper there is, how can anyone seriously even consider voting for him?

Agreed and he went on his European tour he offended the British the Germans and the Palestinians,

The problem is Obama term has been abysmal, although not his fault, more our fault as in Europe's fault.

So Americans feel he is the reason for the bad economy.

The polls are split even both are on 46%.

I can see Romney winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Baggio1 wrote: »
    he was fine, if he made the same statement about barry soetero obama or whatever his real name is -- all the libs and trendies and mainstream media would hail it as a great fun performance... but once he says it about the clown obama? - welll you cant do that... thats not approved of by the brain deads who slurp down every bit of crap from obumma or whatever his name is

but wait breaking news - gues what the gooood ol dems are having to open their convention ---its yur friends and mine the goood ol freedom luuuuving liberal.. MUSLIM BROTHERHOOOD,, yessss giving 2 hours of speech about everything they really do luuuuv about America ( and yes children they really really relally do luuuv America )hahahhahahaha

but hey dont worry,, all the libs,dems and media will still clap and cheer for barry odummer and pat those brotherhood guys on the back and say "great job brothers"! ..

I hope you're aware of the irony of you implying someone is brain dead after that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Baggio1

DB21 oh such amazing humour,, you just sit there suckin yur thumb and watch yur mainstream media and everything will be fine really :)....

oh breaking news,, obummer or whatever his real name is is headin to texas today probably for golf round 156 and romney is headin to new orleans to see the disaster, now i seem to remember back in hurricane katrina's day that a certain prez bush was screamed at and lambasted by the mainstream leberal media and all their trendy so called dem followers for NOT going to the disaster region and well his name was mud etc.... but oddly enough there hasnt been a word of condemnation of barry obumma or whatever his name is from any libs/dems.trendies or whatever...

funny that... but hey dont worry "its not his fault" funny it never is! hahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

DB21 oh such amazing humour

Thanks for the compliment. Been having a bad time lately, so I needed one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Colmustard wrote: »
    Agreed and he went on his European tour he offended the British the Germans and the Palestinians,

The problem is Obama term has been abysmal, although not his fault, more our fault as in Europe's fault.

So Americans feel he is the reason for the bad economy.

The polls are split even both are on 46%.

I can see Romney winning.

Exactly, the economy will really drag Obama down. Regardless of whether anyone else could do better (I've no idea) he's the president and thus it was his 'watch'.

That said, the Republicans really do seem to be giving the Democrats every chance. Ryan is unlikely to win across many moderates/undecided. Romney's tax returns became an issue, regardless of whether there was anything to hide or not. The abortion/rape comments were just.... bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Baggio1

i can go with that :p:D

who_me wrote: »
    Exactly, the economy will really drag Obama down. Regardless of whether anyone else could do better (I've no idea) he's the president and thus it was his 'watch'.

That said, the Republicans really do seem to be giving the Democrats every chance. Ryan is unlikely to win across many moderates/undecided. Romney's tax returns became an issue, regardless of whether there was anything to hide or not. The abortion/rape comments were just.... bizarre.

If Obama had the choice he would have picked this guy to run against, I have a feeling there is a big revelation lurking about Romney.

But that doesn't matter, Americans just want a better economy, so they will be steered away from Obama as they blame him whether it was his fault or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I would have enjoyed this more if it hadn't come on the back of a couple of other rumours about Clint's declining mental faculties.
    No offence, but is this not a tiny bit condescending?

The premise behind the scene - talking to an empty chair which perhaps symbolizes an aloof president, one of Obama's more surprising traits - was perfectly legitimate. Obama is the absent General when it comes to dealing with US unemployment. And also legitimate is Clint Eastwood's position in supporting the Romney campaign over what I would guess he sees as the lesser of two evils, especially in terms of the American economy.
    Europe is not the cause of America's woes, though we are aggravating it.

The most pertinent cause of America's economic woes are the fact that human beings do not trade with Jupiter; the balance of trade is a zero sum game. In other words, America is having a hard time reconciling its position as a consumer with its desire to be a manufacturer. American Governments are the root cause of their own problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

DB21 oh such amazing humour,, you just sit there suckin yur thumb and watch yur mainstream media and everything will be fine really :)....

oh breaking news,, obummer or whatever his real name is is headin to texas today probably for golf round 156 and romney is headin to new orleans to see the disaster, now i seem to remember back in hurricane katrina's day that a certain prez bush was screamed at and lambasted by the mainstream leberal media and all their trendy so called dem followers for NOT going to the disaster region and well his name was mud etc.... but oddly enough there hasnt been a word of condemnation of barry obumma or whatever his name is from any libs/dems.trendies or whatever...

funny that... but hey dont worry "its not his fault" funny it never is! hahahahahaha

Here is my two pence on bush he help south sudan win independence from sudan cause their first president wears a cowboy hat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

Definitely a Bush.

History is good to Reagan he is now known as one of America's great presidents. I know it didn't seem it at the time, but he was instrumental in dismantling the iron curtain and opening up China.

But he did deregulate the banks and here we are.

History is kind to Reagan?

He's affectionately known by man as the Devil. His policies completely destroyed many urban communities, was directly reasonable for the spread of crack cocaine throughout America (as a means of funding the contras) and destroyed a generation of urban youth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He really has no business talking about politics. He's an actor!

Whereas everyone on boards is a full time politician? Should we all only be able to discuss things we do for jobs? The various sports forums would be very quiet for a start.

floggg wrote: »

He's affectionately known by man as the Devil. His policies completely destroyed many urban communities, was directly reasonable for the spread of crack cocaine throughout America (as a means of funding the contras) and destroyed a generation of urban youth.

He also effectively ended welfare and made the minimum pay generation. But America did grow during his terms. But so did the division of wealth.

History is a funny thing, it keeps changing. Just imagine if history decided the Arab spring was a result of Bush's disastrous war in Iraq (it wasn't) Bush would be remembered as a great president.

later12 wrote: »

Europe is not the cause of America's woes, though we are aggravating it.

The most pertinent cause of America's economic woes are the fact that human beings do not trade with Jupiter; the balance of trade is a zero sum game. In other words, America is having a hard time reconciling its position as a consumer with its desire to be a manufacturer. American Governments are the root cause of their own problems.

We are America,s number one export market so we suffer so do they and we are suffering and we are doing little to solve the uncertainty of the debt and Euro crisis. So we do have a lot of blame for America's woes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Romney is the biggest flip-flopper there is, how can anyone seriously even consider voting for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

We are America,s number one export market so we suffer so do they and we are suffering and we are doing little to solve the uncertainty of the debt and Euro crisis. So we do have a lot of blame for America's woes.
    Well, economic blocs being what they are, we can only primarily look out for our own interests. We're the blame for our own economic problems, that ought to be the foremost concern for us as an economy.

America's problem is that it doesn't manufacture enough anymore; it's problems are fundamentally its own economy's problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Whereas everyone on boards is a full time politician? Should we all only be able to discuss things we do for jobs? The various sports forums would be very quiet for a start.

There's a difference between a discussion and addressing a crowd though in fairness.

There's a difference between a discussion and addressing a crown though in fairness.

Himmmm... too easy - just too easy... must... walk... away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

From 'A Fistful of Dollars' to 'Blazing Saddles'

Mongo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The strange was that he actually did think that Obama was sitting in the chair. :eek:

he made a complete dick of himself.he should stick to what he knows best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

floggg wrote: »

Ronald Regan forced people to start smoking crack? GOD DAMNNNNNN!

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    I used to respect Charlton Heston till he became a complete gun nut also.

Heston really got badly screwed over by that piece of propoganda that Moore made. The number of lies and staged moments is unreal and the film as it stands is closer to fiction than it is to fact. Heston, at the time was seriously ill and in no fit state of mind to agree to the interview. If Moore had any dignity or empathy he would not have attacked Moore in such a manner and worse still is the manner in which he manipulated the footage to serve his agenda. He blatantly edited it to make it appear that Heston was giving answers that did not match the question.

Heston was a gun advocate, no one will ever deny that but he was not the crazy gun nut Moore paints him as. Heston was a civil rights activist and when El Cid was showing in theaters he routinely attened pickets of theatres which insisted on segregated seating. He also marched with Martin Luther King and was invovled with the civil rights movement long before it became fashionable.

He had his faults and his political changes in alter life were a little out of tune with those of his early but at the same time he has always had a reputation of being a decent guy who would bend overbackwards to help anyone he could. That Moore sullied his name through creative editing and lies really is a shame.

Heston really got badly screwed over by that piece of propoganda that Moore made. The number of lies and staged moments is unreal and the film as it stands is closer to fiction than it is to fact. Heston, at the time was seriously ill and in no fit state of mind to agree to the interview. If Moore had any dignity or empathy he would not have attacked Moore in such a manner and worse still is the manner in which he manipulated the footage to serve his agenda. He blatantly edited it to make it appear that Heston was giving answers that did not match the question.

Heston was a gun advocate, no one will ever deny that but he was not the crazy gun nut Moore paints him as. Heston was a civil rights activist and when El Cid was showing in theaters he routinely attened pickets of theatres which insisted on segregated seating. He also marched with Martin Luther King and was invovled with the civil rights movement long before it became fashionable.

He had his faults and his political changes in alter life were a little out of tune with those of his early but at the same time he has always had a reputation of being a decent guy who would bend overbackwards to help anyone he could. That Moore sullied his name through creative editing and lies really is a shame.

The fact that Charton Heston still held a run rally in Columbine just 10 days after the Columbine tragedy, says a lot.

Moore I'm sure made his views/opinion plain to see - but some historic facts speak for themselves also.

Let me be clear - Moore is known for twisting facts but Heston was/is no saint - like Moore.
    "The film depicts NRA president Charlton Heston giving a speech near Columbine; he actually gave it a year later and 900 miles away. The speech he did give is edited to make conciliatory statements sound like rudeness."

Um, yeah, that's right! I made it up! Heston never went there! He never said those things! Or....
    The Truth: Heston took his NRA show to Denver and did and said exactly what we recounted. From the end of my narration setting up Heston's speech in Denver, with my words, "a big pro-gun rally," every word out of Charlton Heston's mouth was uttered right there in Denver, just 10 days after the Columbine tragedy.

But don't take my word – read the transcript of his whole speech. Heston devotes the entire speech to challenging the Denver mayor and mocking the mayor's pleas that the NRA "don't come here." Far from deliberately editing the film to make Heston look worse, I chose to leave most of this out and not make Heston look as evil as he actually was.

Why are these gun nuts upset that their brave NRA leader's words are in my film? You'd think they would be proud of the things he said. Except, when intercut with the words of a grieving father (whose son died at Columbine and happened to be speaking in a protest that same weekend Heston was at the convention center), suddenly Charlton Heston doesn't look so good does he? Especially to the people of Denver (and, the following year, to the people of Flint) who were still in shock over the tragedies when Heston showed up.

As for the clip preceding the Denver speech, when Heston proclaims "from my cold dead hands," this appears as Heston is being introduced in narration. It is Heston's most well-recognized NRA image – hoisting the rifle overhead as he makes his proclamation, as he has done at virtually every political appearance on behalf of the NRA (before and since Columbine). I have merely re-broadcast an image supplied to us by a Denver TV station, an image which the NRA has itself crafted for the media, or, as one article put it, "the mantra of dedicated gun owners" which they "wear on T-shirts, stamp it on the outside of envelopes, e-mail it on the Internet and sometimes shout it over the phone.".

Are they now embarrassed by this sick, repulsive image and the words that accompany it?

I've also been accused of making up the gun homicide counts in the United States and various countries around the world. That is, like all the rest of this stuff, a bald-face lie. Every statistic in the film is true. They all come directly from the government.

Here are the facts, right from the sources: The U.S. figure of 11,127 gun deaths comes from a report from the Center for Disease Control. Japan's gun deaths of 39 was provided by the National Police Agency of Japan; Germany: 381 gun deaths from Bundeskriminalamt (German FBI); Canada: 165 gun deaths from Statistics Canada, the governmental statistics agency; United Kingdom: 68 gun deaths, from the Centre for Crime and Justice studies in Britain; Australia: 65 gun deaths from the Australian Institute of Criminology; France: 255 gun deaths, from the International Journal of Epidemiology.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/books-films/facts/bowling-columbine

Heston was a gun advocate, no one will ever deny that but he was not the crazy gun nut Moore paints him as.

"So, as we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: 'From my cold, dead hands!'"

Charlton Heston -May, 2000

How do reconcile your assertion with the the statement I have quoted (without claiming it was an acting gig)?

Biggins wrote: »
    The fact that Charton Heston still held a run rally in Columbine just 10 days after the Columbine tragedy, says a lot.

Moore I'm sure made his views/opinion plain to see - but some historic facts speak for themselves also.

Let me be clear - Moore is known for twisting facts but Heston was/is no saint - like Moore.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/books-films/facts/bowling-columbine

A few of the facts that Moore misrepresents are:

• The Denver event was the annual NRA meeting, whose place and date had been fixed years in advance.

• The NRA canceled all events (normally several days of committee meetings, sporting events, dinners, and rallies) save the annual members’ meeting, which corporate law required to be held.

• The “from my cold dead hands” remark was from a speech given a year later in North Carolina. Moore juxtaposes it with footage from the Denver speech to make them seem like the same speech.

• Moore splices together sentences from different parts of the Denver speech, cutting out conciliatory remarks by Heston and changing the meaning of the remarks shown.
    MarkHitide wrote: »
    "So, as we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: 'From my cold, dead hands!'"

Charlton Heston -May, 2000

How do reconcile your assertion with the the statement I have quoted (without claiming it was an acting gig)?

He was heavily involved with the NRA and as such was going to stand up for what it beleived. I don't see any problem with his statement, he was standing up for what his constitution promised him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

he was fine, if he made the same statement about barry soetero obama or whatever his real name is -- all the libs and trendies and mainstream media would hail it as a great fun performance... but once he says it about the clown obama? - welll you cant do that... thats not approved of by the brain deads who slurp down every bit of crap from obumma or whatever his name is

but wait breaking news - gues what the gooood ol dems are having to open their convention ---its yur friends and mine the goood ol freedom luuuuving liberal.. MUSLIM BROTHERHOOOD,, yessss giving 2 hours of speech about everything they really do luuuuv about America ( and yes children they really really relally do luuuv America )hahahhahahaha

but hey dont worry,, all the libs,dems and media will still clap and cheer for barry odummer and pat those brotherhood guys on the back and say "great job brothers"! ..

Are you really telling me that your post is something that can be referred to as well informed rather than brain dead? In fact, it's as badly structured as Clint's absurd speech and lacking in any real point.

A few of the facts that Moore misrepresents are:

• The Denver event was the annual NRA meeting, whose place and date had been fixed years in advance.

• The NRA canceled all events (normally several days of committee meetings, sporting events, dinners, and rallies) save the annual members’ meeting, which corporate law required to be held.

• The “from my cold dead hands” remark was from a speech given a year later in North Carolina. Moore juxtaposes it with footage from the Denver speech to make them seem like the same speech.

• Moore splices together sentences from different parts of the Denver speech, cutting out conciliatory remarks by Heston and changing the meaning of the remarks shown.

There are indeed 'edits' which Moore did for effect probably - but some facts are irrefutable.

1. The gun meeting could have been postponed - but wasn't.
    2. The mayor of the town repeatedly requested the gun meeting at least be put off - he was refused and not only that, he was constantly mocked by Heston through out his speech. Nice eh?
    3. The "from my cold dead hands" phrase was one used constantly by Heston - and not only him by with his permission (we might assume), the NRA which he was a top head of, used the phrase constantly in their material and media offerings to the public.
    (It was even used in the film "Red Dawn" where its said it originated)
    4. Moore did cut out some conciliatory remarks - but he also cut out the constant, mocking that Heston did in Columbine, just 11 days after the town suffered (and was still suffering!) its now infamous incident!

For the forth reason alone - I have NO sympathy for Mr Heston!
    He on stage, spoke like an intimidating thug and after telling the audience to watch what they say, he himself, carried on insulting!
    It was and still stands to some as very despicable and irrefutable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dunno why the NRA should have caught so much flack for holding what was basically an AGM in a city ten days after a shooting. It's not like they promote school shootings.

He was heavily involved with the NRA and as such was going to stand up for what it beleived. I don't see any problem with his statement, he was standing up for what his constitution promised him.
    So it was an acting gig!

Do you really believe the original authors of the US Constitution envisaged it as unalterable and eternal in It's wisdom?

Dunno why the NRA should have caught so much flack for holding what was basically an AGM in a city ten days after a shooting. It's not like they promote school shootings.

Quiet simply - some saw it as offensive given what had happened a while before.

The NRA with its MASSIVE huge money behind it, could have easily postponed it or moved it to a different venue.
    They couldn't be bothered. They deliberately further used the town to further defend the use/ownership of guns - in effect they used the previous incident for gain in the wake of previous publicity, to re-enhance their gun ownership cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

later12 wrote: »

The premise behind the scene - talking to an empty chair which perhaps symbolizes an aloof president, one of Obama's more surprising traits - was perfectly legitimate. Obama is the absent General when it comes to dealing with US unemployment. And also legitimate is Clint Eastwood's position in supporting the Romney campaign over what I would guess he sees as the lesser of two evils, especially in terms of the American economy.

I just think having an elderly gentleman now widely rumoured to be suffering the onset of dementia rambling interminably at an empty chair was a little... misjudged.

Advertisement