Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COI secondary schools

Options
  • 31-08-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering about COI secondary schools.
    There are a number of free COI primary schools in the south Dublin area, but as far as I can tell there isn't a single secondary school that isn't fee-paying.

What do people do who send their child to a free COI primary school, but who don't want to or can't afford a fee-paying secondary school?
    Looks like the only choice is one of the very few multi-denominational schools, or else apply to a Catholic school and (presumably) go to the bottom of the list.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

OP, I can move this to Dublin County South forum where it would probably get better answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Would you mind if it stayed here? My question would be just as relevant in Cork or Limerick.
    Debated what forum to put it in, but thought here might be the best as there have to be other parents out here who are baptising their kids and putting their names down for schools at the moment, so I was hoping someone else here was in the same situation!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

fjon wrote: »
    Would you mind if it stayed here? My question would be just as relevant in Cork or Limerick.
    Debated what forum to put it in, but thought here might be the best as there have to be other parents out here who are baptising their kids and putting their names down for schools at the moment, so I was hoping someone else here was in the same situation!
    Sorry I didnt read your first post properly.
    No problem at all, only this forum is mainly geared towards actual students sitting their JC and not their parents so I dont know how well your question will be answered..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Oh, whoops! Looks like someone already moved it. I posted this "Newborn and Toddlers", and looks like someone there moved it in here :(
    I don't really see what this has to do with the JC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most non-feepaying COI students I know go to Comprehensives or VEC schools, but also to 'Catholic' schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

There are some non fee paying CoI secondary schools - in Dublin these are Newpark and Mount Temple. Also East Glendalough in Wicklow town - and there will be a new school opening in Greystones in 2014, apparently. There are a couple of others around the country.

In my experience, most parents of CofI kids send them to non fee paying primary, and if their nearest or chosen CofI secondary is fee paying there is the possibility of means-tested financial assistance. HTH

Advertisement