Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small holes in T-Shirts

• 31-08-2012 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i am just wondering what might be the problem with my t-shirts getting small 2mm * 2mm holes in them all around the same place in the bottom middle and on there sides. I have lost over 3 tees because of this

There not cheap tees it has happened to me on all saints tees and blood is the new black tees

So what might be the problem in making them ?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Mites maybe? Were they all in the one pile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

It's a bit of world wide mystery. It seems to be caused by rubbing against granite counter tops. Others say seat belts.

Definitely not mite related.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Security tags being taken out???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

There not from tags anyway

Dont have granite counter tops

No there where all not in one pile if that helps

Seat belts maybe but not sure about it

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

I always assumed it was from closing the belt buckle on them accidentally. Have been very careful since I noticed the holes and no new ones have appeared since that I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I used to get small holes in my tops on the bottom at both sides from pulling them down too often. I have quite a long body and used to be quite paranoid about my top riding up. Maybe this is the cause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Hot rocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Are they soft material? This has happened to a few of my 'nicer' Tshirts, and I think it happens in the washing machine when they get beaten by buttons, bra clasps etc....
    edit: just read about the placement of the holes - I think that is down to stretching the fabric

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Hi guys i am just wondering what might be the problem with my t-shirts getting small 2mm * 2mm holes in them all around the same place in the bottom middle and on there sides. I have lost over 3 tees because of this

There not cheap tees it has happened to me on all saints tees and blood is the new black tees

So what might be the problem in making them ?
    Sounds like moths. Do you clean your abode sufficiently ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I blame hard water - it happens to quite a few of my soft t-shirts and tops after they've been washed a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

This happens a lot and i heard them talking about it on Ray Darcy...missed the end of it :mad: but i dont think there is an exact reason.

It has happened to me and always in the same spot, its not from a belt, seat belt counter top or moths but always soft cotton tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Pa Dee wrote: »
    Sounds like moths. Do you clean your abode sufficiently ?

Moth larvae are little f**kers - if you think you have them, take all your clothes out of your press and shake them out (checking for moth larvae), hoover the press and use moth balls. Put your clothes back in and hope you got all of the little buggers!

Our old old washing machine used to put holes in some of our clothes, and once there was a hole it would just make them bigger until the clothes could not be worn anymore. I have also heard that hard water and harsh washing detergents can cause problems with holes in clothes - maybe try washing your clothes on a delicate wash to see if it makes a difference, using a water softener or a new washing detergent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Probably the zips of whatever you wash with them. I always zip up any zips before I throw anything in the washer - No premature holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Hi, this caught my eye because i have had this problem with some of my sons t shirts. he's 2 so doesn't wear a belt. lol. The material is a very soft to touch almost velvety but not velvet. it happened to a top belonging to my daughter too. same material and brand new. i washed it once and ended up bringing it back. All the t shirts in question were bought in Next. I think its a flaw with the fabric however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Oink wrote: »
    Mites maybe? Were they all in the one pile?

I think you might mean moths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Hi, this caught my eye because i have had this problem with some of my sons t shirts. he's 2 so doesn't wear a belt. lol. The material is a very soft to touch almost velvety but not velvet. it happened to a top belonging to my daughter too. same material and brand new. i washed it once and ended up bringing it back. All the t shirts in question were bought in Next. I think its a flaw with the fabric however.

is it like a brushed cotton? I had this with a tee from Tesco and I think it was a bra strap, when I went to sew the hole back together, i saw that the fabric is knitted looser than normal jersey, it had a tiny thread broken and had unraveled back to the size of the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

.[/QUOTE]

is it like a brushed cotton? I had this with a tee from Tesco and I think it was a bra strap, when I went to sew the hole back together, i saw that the fabric is knitted looser than normal jersey, it had a tiny thread broken and had unraveled back to the size of the hole.[/Quote]

That's exactly it. and just as you described. i thought it was my machine but it seems like weaker material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I raised a query with the technical team, I'll report back with what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Its usually a belt buckle that causes mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Hot rocks?

Flashback to embarrassing tracksuit pants!

I never got them really but they started to appear in my clothes around the same time we started getting moths in our house that gets my vote.

• Advertisement
Advertisement