Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Found a dog

• 31-08-2012 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,

We nearly hit a dog with our car today when he wandered out in front of it. He'd been wandering like that all day and he looked lost, so we took him home with us to put him on lostdogs.ie and see about finding his owner.

So far no one's been in touch and the clock is ticking because my mam wants him gone before tonight, and everywhere is closing at 4pm. We've called all the shelters and they're full.

I am so reluctant to take him to the pound because he's a friendly and trusting boy, but he's also so old and blind. He walks into things. I feel like I'd be abandoning him there without helping to find his family.

Is there any pound alternative I'm not finding?

Here he is, if anyone recognises him

FoundDog032.jpg

FoundDog031.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Bring him to a vet to check for a microchip.Where abouts is he?Please do not bring him to a pound :( could anyone you know foster him for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For God's sake don't take him to the pound. He's old and blind but looks healthy and cared for so he has a family that is no doubt missing him. It would be a crime if he were to be put to sleep just because your mother couldn't be bothered helping him.

Vet is your first port of call. As above, they can scan for a chip or you may even get lucky and the vet recognises him.

No harm putting a picture out on facebook or similar. At his age he can't have wandered very far from home, so one your friends might recognise him from the locality. Even on FB you could ask if anyone else was willing to take him for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Get him to the vet and see if he's chipped (as said above). They won't charge you. Also try go to a vet near to where you found him- they might know the dog. A blind dog will have been to a vet a good few times before

Call the DSPCA and the local gardai and give his discription and your details in case anyone calls him in.

Great about lostdogs. Try get his info and photos up on lost.ie, lostandfound.ie, lostandfoundpets.ie as well, the more exposure the better. Also post his photo on the dspca, dogs trust and any other animal facebook pages you can find, the more the better (if you pm me with a facebook link I'll share it on to a few sites I know).

Do you have any family or friends who could take him for a few nights? Or even just 1 night? I'd hate to see him go to the pound, old and especially blind animals don't seem to do well in those places.

PM me if you need any advice, I'm well used to stray dogs (live in an area were dogs seem to get out a lot). Unfortunatly I've a kitten in the house at the moment or else I'd offer to help you with a place for him for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

FYI OP, the dog looks to be a Beagle, would be good to mention it to anyone you talk to about him, as they may not recognise a physical description but might remember Neighbour X has a Beagle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Do dogs trust or any other volunteer organisations in Dublin have Facebook page - a volunteer would surely take him in short term if thought alternative was the pound . Send out an appeal there and hopefully will get help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

It's not that my mother "can't be bothered", it's that we've got two other dogs who are really not okay with the new one being here, and it's kind of stressful trying to keep them apart. She just wants to make sure he's off the street, she didn't want him to be hit by a car but the shelters are, through no fault of their own, of very little use because they're filled to the brim.

We had him checked and there's no microchip, he's got that red collar but no tags. He's not dramatically underweight so he's certainly not been missing more than a couple of days by the looks of it. I think he's just a lost pet, but his owners haven't gotten in contact and we've got nowhere for him to go. We rang my aunt, who has a large garden, but her husband doesn't want the dog in it so that's a no.

Dog's Trust told us the pound, as did Dog's Aid. They both said that legally that's what you should do, but we can ask them to call us in 5 days if no one claims him. The trouble is, what do we do then? :confused:

Thank you, Bubblefett, that's really helpful info. We've only had a stray dog once before and it's really hard when their owners don't seem to be on any of the lost dogs websites looking.

I already had on his lostdogs.ie profile that he looks like a beagle, he's a bit too tall I think to be a full one though. Thanks for all your help!

He's safe for the night guys! My neighbour/uncle said he can keep him in his garden for the night, so that's something at least. In the meantime I'm posting to the DSPCA, Blue Cross, and even Pet Mania facebook pages to try and get noticed with him. I hope his owners are around and looking for him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Poor thing. Maybe best have him put to sleep if you can't find the owner. Bound to be depressed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Pa Dee wrote: »
    Poor thing. Maybe best have him put to sleep if you can't find the owner. Bound to be depressed

No need for a comment like that.And looking at your profile on boards I see you have lets say "history"

This forum is not the place for it and I will ban you permanently if you start trolling here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Did you try posting this in the Dublin forum on the site also ?

• Advertisement

Success! We've found his family :D It was through facebook, after everything, that one of my friend's noticed that my found dog matched the description of his other friend's lost dog. Turns out the dog's name is Cooper, and he's been missing from Glasnevin since early yesterday sometime. Because he's blind, he sometimes gets lost apparently.

We're arranging to have him collected by his parents, and all is once again right with the world! :) Thanks for everyone's help, you've been great with showing me places to advertise and the likes for if this ever happens again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Delighted you have found his owner, well done OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Brilliant news!!! You did a great thing today OP, be proud! You got that doggy back to his family :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

That's so brilliant! Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

RossPaws wrote: »
    Success! We've found his family :D It was through facebook, after everything, that one of my friend's noticed that my found dog matched the description of his other friend's lost dog. Turns out the dog's name is Cooper, and he's been missing from Glasnevin since early yesterday sometime. Because he's blind, he sometimes gets lost apparently.

We're arranging to have him collected by his parents, and all is once again right with the world! :) Thanks for everyone's help, you've been great with showing me places to advertise and the likes for if this ever happens again!

well done to you, I am glad you got it sorted.

have to say I feel very sorry for this poor dog who sometimes gets lost because he is blind......lets hope his owners pull their finger out and give him the care he deserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Well done that's great news. Cooper was lucky to have "found" you.

Ask the owners to put their phone number on his collar though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's great that his owners have found him cuz of you but you said that he sometimes gets lost?
    How is a blind dog gettin lost all the time? Why isn't that dog which is blind being kept in and secure as you said you nearly knocked him down
    You were lucky you didn't hit him
    Someone else might hit him
    The owners should have him more secured
    After all he's blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Success! We've found his family :D Turns out the dog's name is Cooper, and he's been missing from Glasnevin since early yesterday sometime.

Great work OP. :) Out of curiosity, how far was he from his home when you found him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Duiske wrote: »
    Success! We've found his family :D Turns out the dog's name is Cooper, and he's been missing from Glasnevin since early yesterday sometime.

Great work OP. :) Out of curiosity, how far was he from his home when you found him ?

Well done OP. Great work out of you.

+1 on the dog tag with phone no suggestion if you can mention it casually to the owners.

I'm not sure, I only spoke to his owner over the phone and he seemed like a really nice guy. It was my friend (the middle man in all this who knows both of us) that told me the dog gets lost sometimes, but the guy I spoke to on the phone seemed genuinely distraught about the dog being missing so I think maybe I was fed a bit of exaggeration there. But either way I will mention it to them about maybe microchipping or at least getting him tags, just in case it ever happens again. ;)

It turns out that his owner lives about maybe ten minutes from us, but he wants to drop around tomorrow to thank us in person. When I told him how we found the dog (nearly walking under cars on the main road) he was so grateful to us for taking him in. It's nice when people appreciate things, I was glad then that we did take the dog because someone really was looking and missing him.

Thanks everyone, but I do think I did what anyone would have. :) Just a bit of mutual effort and luck in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Well done OP!

Hopefully the owner gets the dog microchipped.

Advertisement