Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berezovsky loses against Abramovich

• 31-08-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

Wondered about the judge reading out a summary of her judgement, but the full judgement not being released until later in Sept, after it was given to both parties.

Why the delay in making the judgement public? If ignorance of the law is no excuse, surely delaying the public finding out the full judgement increases the ignorance of the law intentionally for a time.

(or maybe this happens all the time in civil cases?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Wondered about the judge reading out a summary of her judgement, but the full judgement not being released until later in Sept, after it was given to both parties.

Why the delay in making the judgement public? If ignorance of the law is no excuse, surely delaying the public finding out the full judgement increases the ignorance of the law intentionally for a time.

(or maybe this happens all the time in civil cases?)

Very normal for Judges to give an Ex Tempore judgement, and then write up a full judgement later.

Some times an Ex Tempore is given and not to give any written Jugement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

If ignorance of the law is no excuse, surely delaying the public finding out the full judgement increases the ignorance of the law intentionally for a time.

This doesnt make sense. Judges dont make law, they just enforce it and interperet it. So a judge withholding judgment is not withholding what the law is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

NoQuarter wrote: »
    This doesnt make sense. Judges dont make law, they just enforce it and interperet it. So a judge withholding judgment is not withholding what the law is.

Well thats assuming a similar Constitutional protection applies in the UK - my (admittedly likely wrong) interpretation was that Judges in the UK were free to continue to develop the common law unlike Judges in Ireland?

Judges are free to develop the common law here too. My point was that there is already a law in place that judges work off, so merely withholding a judgment for a month or two is hardly leaving people in ignorance.

Judges are free to develop the common law here too. My point was that there is already a law in place that judges work off, so merely withholding a judgment for a month or two is hardly leaving people in ignorance.

Sorry I wasn't doubting that I agree it's not ignorance if there is a current law which there more that likely is. But I was under the impression that due to Article 15 Judges in Ireland are constrained - unlike their English counterparts?

• Advertisement

Constrained in that they cant legislate or disregard legislative provisions but they can and constantly do develop on legislation and interpret it.

Constrained in that they cant legislate or disregard legislative provisions but they can and constantly do develop on legislation and interpret it.

Agreed but in relation to the Common Law they are constrained to do the same. My understanding (which may be faulty) is that English Judges are free to 'make up' new areas of the Common Law (Denning springs to mind) so theoretically some one may have a legitimate ignorance of a common law rule in England if it were not published.

OK I accept your point if that's the way it is in england.

OK I accept your point if that's the way it is in england.

As usual I don't know - I'm just supposing :D

Advertisement