Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Gaming Am I Doing it Wrong?!

Options
  • 31-08-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

So I recently made my PC (with some awesome help on this forum). I have a 3D Monitor (GD245HQ) which came with NVidia 3D glasses. Now I have tried Battlefield 3 and Skyrim in 3D.

My first surprise was that you seem to have to play in 30fps at full HD, or 60fps at a 1280x720 resolution because it needs an image for each eye. I just figured with my card (Evga GTX-680 SC), I would be able to play at 60fps at full res, but can't seem to at all.

Next I wasn't expecting the glasses to be so damn dark, to a point where I literally have no idea what was happening in the last BF3 mission I played (I think it's the second level, it's dark and sneaky).

So is there some options (gamma tweaking? monitor settings? Game mods?) I should be using to get the most out of the 3D? My friends told me it was a total gimmick and I was like ah I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but at the moment I would really rather play without the glasses so I can actually see everything and play at full res with 60 fps, because 30 fps for me seems painfully slow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I don't have 3D myself but it's going to be darker since each eye is only getting half the light. Turn up the brightness when you have the glasses on.

Also, the 680 seems to manage ~80 frames per second with x4 AA and 110 without. 30 FPS seems a bit low. Is that 30 for each eye?

Probably best to consult the official nvidia forum. They had a load of topics on 3D last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yeah will do, I didn't think I'd have to go dragging up forums to get it working properly!

Basically if you have the res higher and at 60 fps, the monitor itself tells you the mode is not compatible with 3D, and to switch to 30fps or lower the res to 1280x720.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you using HDMI or DVI? I play a few 3D games on mine and no problem running @ 60fps...I thought I read something before about HDMI being an issue in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah hdmi can't handle 1080@120fps. Neither can normal DVI. Needs displayport or DVI-D.

Note there are loads of versions of hdmi, but I have yet to actually see the newer version that can handle higher resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Interesting thanks, I thought HDMI was just always king because it's newer. I think the monitor came with a DVI-D cable so will try that and everything should be good, yay. (Apart from the darkness, but I can live with that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

srsly78 wrote: »
    Yeah hdmi can't handle 1080@120fps. Neither can normal DVI. Needs displayport or DVI-D.

Correction/Typo: Dual Link, not DVI-D. DVI-D implies the digital connection which most people use anyway, although DVI can also carry an analogue signal. :)

Advertisement