Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i see the Boys and Girls in Dail Eireann are to get free Ipads

• 31-08-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

link waste of more funds when they are cutting health services, why not make them buy one each out of their well paid salleries, i'd say 75% of them already have ipads, let them bring them in and use them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

iPad enough of these politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What else can you see God?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

In fairness, it doesn't say iPads.

There are many cheaper tablets available. Maybe they'll buy up the discounted Playbooks from Curry's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

The link says the tender is for tablet computers not iPads. Your thread title is misleading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

paconnors wrote: »
    i'd say 75% of them already have ipads, let them bring them in and use them.

I think the following is the reason why not:
    It also requires certain security features, including encryption software and software that will wipe the device if an incorrect password is entered a number of times.

Do you really want Gov docs on someone's personal iPad?

Is there a precedence for this already, does the Gov provide PCs or Laptops for the same reason outlined above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

'Tender documents say the tablets will reduce paper usage'

That's because they'll be used as paperweights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Our politicians have a lot in common with Apples, rotten to the core, and they get on your pip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

hardCopy wrote: »
    In fairness, it doesn't say iPads.

There are many cheaper tablets available. Maybe they'll buy up the discounted Playbooks from Curry's.

Not many tablets out there that take a sim card, so my moneys on ipad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

iPads are shíte.
    And I'd say most of them won't know how to use them.
    €150'000 paper weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I doubt that everyone in the Dail would even be able to use an Ipad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Eathrin wrote: »
    IPads are shíte.

No they're not.

Lets not let the thread spiral into a childish apple vs andoid debate and keep it as a childish government hating debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Jaysus the govt cant spend a penny with you lot! Every room in the government buildings has a desktop computer, so what!? Its the information age and if tablets are productive well then they should have business ones! I think there is an overreaction here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Jaysus the govt cant spend a penny with you lot! Every room in the government buildings has a desktop computer, so what!? Its the information age and if tablets are productive well then they should have business ones! I think there is an overreaction here!

I don't think tablets are at that stage yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Isn't this a good thing?
    Less paper = easier to organize and all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I don't know, if some of them are even able to switch them on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Isn't this a good thing?
    the cheapest ipad with 3g is 600 so 166 td x600 = €99,600 thats before you add on all the other staff in the dail as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

i'd say 75% of them already have ipads

and the other 25% wouldnt even know how to turn one on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Isn't this a good thing?

Just wait until were reading about the "misplaced", "broken" or would someone train me how to use this new device becoming news after they get them. Sticking with the paper is going to cost less in the long run I would think. Also I think in the UK the parliament members got a iPad 2 a while back at tax payers expense. It was then neccesary when the iPad 3 launched, that they had to upgrade :rolleyes::rolleyes: . Whichever company who gets the support and maintenance contract for these will make a fortune at tax payers expense.

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

I want to see how good they are at Farmville and Cityville.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    the cheapest ipad with 3g is 600 so 166 td x600 = €99,600 thats before you add on all the other staff in the dail as well.

It said tablets with 3G and did say they could be as low as 400.
    So 66 grand.
    Over three years and it's 22 grand a year.
    That's not that bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Isn't this a good thing?

what will all the pen pushers do??? :eek:

theteal wrote: »
    what will all the pen pushers do??? :eek:

Be there to turn on/turn off the tablets? :cool:

I can actually see that as a job "tablet operator; get your nine months experience learning how a tablet PC works".
    *Okay, this is the button you press to turn it on and then you press it again to turn it off. In nine months time, you get a job IF you mastered that skill*
    *nine months later: no sorry, he was no good, we need another intern*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Most of them will end up being used by their kids.

Leinster House, bless them, have been running a lot of free courses on 'communicating with your constituents' lately. So if anyone is wondering why they've been hearing a lot from their local TDs lately, it's because they've just learnt to do mail merges. What a system - we pay them to learn how to spam us and then we pay for the cost of delivering and printing the spam. Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I doubt that everyone in the Dail would even be able to use an Ipad.

They'll probably sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would agree with this on principle except that I know for a fact that 90% of these philistines will continue to have their secretary print out their emails for them while the iPad languishes at the bottom of a drawer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

So...

I just forked out 100s for my children school books and in years to come will probably be required to buy them Ipads.

And they get one for free, as well as a fat salary.
    Real hero's of the republic they are.

Maybe there is an app to fix our screwed up country.

Dirty rotting Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

seamus wrote: »
    I would agree with this on principle except that I know for a fact that 90% of these philistines will continue to have their secretary print out their emails for them while the iPad languishes at the bottom of a drawer.

The secretaries will probably be sent out for Christmas wrapping paper so's little <insert name of the heir or heiress to the political dynasty here> will have a smile on his or her face on Christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Not many tablets out there that take a sim card, so my moneys on ipad

So they'll also get extra expense allowances for the data plan too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Surely they could buy these devices themselves, you know out of their basic salary, I reckon there will be a lot of bewildered and wrinkled faces by the time they get their head around this technology.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh ffs. More moaning about spending. Hundreds of large corporations are giving their workforces iPads etc - for very good reason. They significantly increase productivity - something our government needs badly. They should easily prove valuable. Anything to modernise and increase productivity & effectiveness is a plus in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I want to see how good they are at Farmville and Cityville.

Christ! They'll probably get an allowance or EU grants to buy vegetables and seeds and sh1te!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Ha - increase productivity? "Minister, whats your top score on Angry Birds HD?....oh yeah, Merkel is on the phone again"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Isn't this a good thing?
    Plus the extra staff they still have to hire to show them how to use the new fangled technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Talk about priorities here. Our ambulances drive around without GPS for fook sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The actual cost in parliamentary terms is peanuts (sadly).

The real issue here is it's a luxury item for the legislature, meanwhile as stated, there are more worthwhile things not being expensed.

The idea is of course to get them all to read all the bills and **** they have to sign into law as PDFs but how many of those oldies even know what a PDF is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The link says the tender is for tablet computers not iPads. Your thread title is misleading.
    considering the tablet computer I own is $1125 msrp, I don't find your correction in terms the least bit comforting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Nothing worse than a bunch of old people playing with their new tech toys in an attempt to go "paperless". A few of them will get their money's worth, the rest will spend twice as long as they would normally spend looking for something, then give up and use the device as something to rest under their sheet of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

ok I'll give you 10 points on the no shows, 5 on the union jobs and ipods for everyone.

put this bank thing to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Overheal wrote: »
    considering the tablet computer I own is $1125 msrp, I don't find your correction in terms the least bit comforting.

Well I really don't care what you spend your money on. The fact of the matter is the OP's thread title is incorrect and therefore misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    Surely they could buy these devices themselves, you know out of their basic salary, I reckon there will be a lot of bewildered and wrinkled faces by the time they get their head around this technology.

Sure there's no need. We're buying the devices for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Zascar wrote: »
    Oh ffs. More moaning about spending. Hundreds of large corporations are giving their workforces iPads etc - for very good reason. They significantly increase productivity - something our government needs badly. They should easily prove valuable. Anything to modernise and increase productivity & effectiveness is a plus in my book

This.

Ministers, TDs getting portable devices that allow them to work remotely or when travelling is a good idea. Most big companies do this. The company I work for dishes them out. They are not perks they are to allow you to work when on the move.

They give out company supported tablets or in this case state tablets so that they are equipped with the requisite security measures which you would not have on your own personal device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Don't forget that Microsoft will have a tablet with Windows 8 available around the time the contract is due to be signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Oh Jesus I can picture it already. Somebody has some sort of important list on a server, does an RDP from there tablet, their finger slips and it goes bye bye forever

Advertisement