Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age for high chair?

Options
  • 31-08-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Baby is 13 weeks and very, very nosy. She will cry when we're eating at the table and stops instantly once she's held on our knees. She just loves being up at the table! But she's not sitting up by herself, although she is very strong and her head control is very good (PHN said this). What age can she be put in a high chair, we're thinking of getting one in Ikea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

She should be in the high chair within a month, once she's good at sitting up by herself. I think they're recommended from about 4 months onwards but of course, it's up to your opinion and her ability. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It depends on the high chair and the child. The one we had was from birth, as it reclined flat. The bumbo I think is from 3 or 4 months, as soon as they can support their own head. The more upright highchairs then are for as soon as they can sit unaided. So 5 or 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pwurple wrote: »
    It depends on the high chair and the child. The one we had was from birth, as it reclined flat. The bumbo I think is from 3 or 4 months, as soon as they can support their own head. The more upright highchairs then are for as soon as they can sit unaided. So 5 or 6 months.

Bumbos were recalled last week after the company admitting a child could fall out. several kids have had head injuries.
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/story/2012-08-15/Bumbo-infant-floor-seat-recalled/57068158/1

A child should not be in a high chair unit it can support its own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My little girl has been in a highchair since 16 weeks, but was well able to hold her head up since about 8 weeks. I have a Fisher Price highchair with a really high back and 3 reclining seat positions so she had plenty of support and I reclined the seat until she was a little older and could sit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Bumbos were recalled last week after the company admitting a child could fall out. several kids have had head injuries.
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/story/2012-08-15/Bumbo-infant-floor-seat-recalled/57068158/1

A child should not be in a high chair unit it can support its own head.

Bumbo's are now provided with a strap.

Here is a newborn highchair.
    http://www.babygadget.net/2009/08/bloom_fresco_the_ultimate_high.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Once they can support there neck, our little ones could do this from very early. We used to pop in a tea towel to fill the void so they wouldn't have loads of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

The Chicco Polly Magic (not the ordinary Polly) and Fisher Price Rainforest Healthcare are both suitable from birth to toddler but are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Weyhey wrote: »
    The Chicco Polly Magic (not the ordinary Polly) and Fisher Price Rainforest Healthcare are both suitable from birth to toddler but are expensive.

I have the Fisher Price Healthy Care - not the rainforest one though. Bit too garish for me. I got it on sale from Amazon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I think 12-13 weeks was around the age our lil one was when we started putting her in her high chair in the reclining position. She could hold her own head at that age.

Advertisement