Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in's and out's about whv canada

Options
  • 31-08-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

ok im not too sure if im in the right area of the site here, but would like to start up a thread about people thinking about travelling to canada on a working holiday visa.

questions like

when to apply
    what will they need to apply
    when should they apply
    is there work there

anything really related to travelling to canada, i do know its coming up again where the visa program will be opened for potential travellers to make a career for themselves or just go to work and holiday.
    so any help for me and others all in the one thread would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from US/ Canada Travel to Living Abroad, where Canada visa questions go untila Canada forum is finally created ****

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d

This is the best place to start reading, they will announce the 2013 program on here.
    Start saving now you can't have too much money coming over.
    You could also have your garda cert sorted - valid for a year afaik
    Plan where you want to stay in Canada and research the city and availability of jobs and the cost of rent and the general cost of living.
    Be aware that most apartments are unfurnished so budget for buying furniture

Look for jobs using:

www.workopolis,com,www.monster.ca and http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/intro-eng.aspx
    kijiji.ca is also good for part time jobs and general labour kind of stuff.
    Some professional jobs on it as well. Just like any free ads site exercise caution and look out for scam jobs.

Be prepared to be not working for the first few weeks as it takes time to get a job - took me six weeks to get my IT job but instantly got a concreting job when I posted my skills on Kijiji.

Think about what you want to beyond one year don't depend on a second IEC there are other options.

Talk to everyone when you get here you need to network - create a linkedin profile and join professional groups for your field of work in the city you are moving to.
    Bring lots of money
    be prepared to pay through the nose for car insurance

Oh and do yourself a favour and don't book flights til you get the LOI

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Hi,
    So whats the ins and outs of 2nd year visa , moving to Canada soon . But wanna be prepared for 2nd year visa .
    I was granted police clearance cert Feb 2012 sent off with 2012 IEC , granted june 2012 . so i intend on appyling in Jan fo my 2nd visa IEC 2013 . I dont have a copy of original Police cert I got . I was told by a guard I cant get another police clearance cert until the one I got in Feb expires 12 months from then . Is this the correct ??

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

keep them coming people as much advice on the one thread as possible,
    there is a work abroad expo coming up the 6th and 7th of october at the rds in dublin, im gonna head up to it and see if i can land a job there straight away it would be great to arrive over with a job waiting for you. has anyone been to these expos and what are they like. i hear the cues are cat but is it worth the wait?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

keep them coming people as much advice on the one thread as possible,
    there is a work abroad expo coming up the 6th and 7th of october at the rds in dublin, im gonna head up to it and see if i can land a job there straight away it would be great to arrive over with a job waiting for you. has anyone been to these expos and what are they like. i hear the cues are cat but is it worth the wait?

Would it be worth my while going to the working abroad expo this year even though the applications for the IEC don't open til around Christmas? Just I plan on going around September next year, so wouldn't be here for next Octobers.

The queues last year were mental like, it was on the news. Best advice pre-book entry online, don't just turn up to pay in on the day - cos the queues got SO mental they were refusing people who hadn't already paid to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

rusheen wrote: »
    Hi,
    So whats the ins and outs of 2nd year visa , moving to Canada soon . But wanna be prepared for 2nd year visa .
    I was granted police clearance cert Feb 2012 sent off with 2012 IEC , granted june 2012 . so i intend on appyling in Jan fo my 2nd visa IEC 2013 . I dont have a copy of original Police cert I got . I was told by a guard I cant get another police clearance cert until the one I got in Feb expires 12 months from then . Is this the correct ??

You can't submit a copy of the garda clearance form anyway, it has to be an original.

Shouldn't be any issue with getting another one if you explain the situation to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

this might be a stupid question but can i visit say new york if i only have a Canadian visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

media101 wrote: »
    this might be a stupid question but can i visit say new york if i only have a Canadian visa?

If you have an up to date ESTA then yes you should be able to cross the border for a holiday to NY

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

hdowney wrote: »
    Would it be worth my while going to the working abroad expo this year even though the applications for the IEC don't open til around Christmas? Just I plan on going around September next year, so wouldn't be here for next Octobers.

The queues last year were mental like, it was on the news. Best advice pre-book entry online, don't just turn up to pay in on the day - cos the queues got SO mental they were refusing people who hadn't already paid to get in

Here was my impression of the Working Abroad Expo. I went to the Cork Expo. I had no ticket so had to queue. First off pre book a ticket if you can. Saves a lot of standing :)

I was in the queue with lads ranging in ages fro 25 to 60. They were under the false impression that it was only a matter of getting inside and there was a job waiting for you in Canada which was very unfair on them. A LOT of people were in the same boat..

In the end of the day they were looking for people with select skills/trades.. The most urgent seemed to be Heavy Duty Mechanics. They actually came out went through the queue and went looking for these people. If you were that they plucked you out of the queue and brought in.. What I`m trying to say is these EXPO`s are designed to find people for certain highly sought after jobs.

I was particulary looking for possible contacts for the Oil Sands and got a few contact emails alright but the lads I got these off were recruiting for lads to sell Farm Machinery. I havnt used them yet as I`m waiting for GAA to finish before I head off.
    I knew a lad who was an electrican and another a carpenter and they didnt have much luck there..

All in all it was an interesting enough day out. However I didnt really learn anything new, again depends on your career and what companies are coming this time.. The one main thing I will take from it tho was the despair in lots and lots of people trying to escape this country. It really was a very sad place queuing.

• Advertisement

i got my ticket this week form
    www.workingabroad.net/expo/dublin.html
    cost a tenner and have a phone app that i will bring to show ive paid on the day. gonna be very interesting to see what its all about, hopefully ill get some answers there and if not, it will be a case of waiting for the program to open in the new year and head off and into the unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

I went to the expo last march & I am now working in Canada because of it. My advice is to buy your ticket beforehand (I went early Sunday morning & breezed in the door). Do your research, i knew what company I wanted to see & the job they were offering as I had looked at the list online a few days before. Have a few copies of your c.v. with you and dress as if you are going to an interview.
    Good luck

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/home-eng.do?lang=eng

Use this website to check out average wages and job prospects for your job in different regions - might be useful for looking at sponsorship after the iec

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    I went to the expo last march & I am now working in Canada because of it. My advice is to buy your ticket beforehand (I went early Sunday morning & breezed in the door). Do your research, i knew what company I wanted to see & the job they were offering as I had looked at the list online a few days before. Have a few copies of your c.v. with you and dress as if you are going to an interview.
    Good luck

how long did it take to get everything sorted and you made your way out to canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Johanna3

Hi all, I am hoping to get a visa for 2013 also and travel as early as possible in the new year. I was in USIT last week and basically was told that March would prob be the earliest I could go. This make sense, if you had the application in at the beginning of January then 8 weeks processing time and booking flight etc. I contact the High Commisson in London to see how early they take application, basically asking if they will take post date 1st Jan. I want to apply as soon as possible as I am sure there will be plenty of demand. I would like to go to Toronto, originally my buddy was supposed to be coming but she has backed out:(, so if anyone else is in the same boat i.e travelling alone and would like some one to go with, let me know. I am a 35 year old female and am nice and a sane person. Just very nervous about the prospect of relocating on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

I got my visa under the SINP programme so it took about 3 months I think to get it. Most of the time is spent getting things for the visa rather than the waiting time once it is submitted. I applied online (you can post it but that takes longer) and they were great if I had questions they would reply by the following day. I got the work visa at the point of entry into Canada.

if i got a police cert now, would it still be in date and useable come next year when the program opens again?

Nope it won't
    You can only submit an original and you will have already sent it off for this year's application

sorry i should have been clearer, if i went down to the garda station today and asked the commisioner for a police cert and told him it was for a work visa for canada for 2013. when i recive it in 3 weeks time (not a photo copy origional) could i keep this and send it off with my 2013 application, or would it have expired come jan 2013?

I see what you mean, as far as I am aware they are valid for 6 months but open to correction on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I see what you mean, as far as I am aware they are valid for 6 months but open to correction on that

They're valid for 12 months

kool no harm in getting one now,
    i was in oz just over five years ago will i need a police cert from there, spent over 6 months in oz

• Registered Users Posts: 15 animal2012

where exactly is the list of employers/companies that are to attend the work abroad exbo next month. I searched the site but cant seem to find any employer lists...

animal2012 wrote: »
    where exactly is the list of employers/companies that are to attend the work abroad exbo next month. I searched the site but cant seem to find any employer lists...

does anyone know if there will be an expo later next year? cause im not going to canada till august 2013

animal2012 wrote: »

www.workingabroad.net/expo/dublin.html

head onto this website, and register and go to job search, and you will see them under the title featured employers.
    its good you can upload your cv and cover letter and apply to jobs online, and maybe get an interview with them when they come over next month

i plan on upgrading my L plates to R plates before i move to Canada but will i be seen as a fully qualified driver in Canada or will i still be a 'learner'?

it seems everyone is heading to calgary, why is this ?

media101 wrote: »
    it seems everyone is heading to calgary, why is this ?

Because there is lots of work to be had there and easy access to the Rockies

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

visa's got,gonna book flights this week for first couple of weeks in october,my question is this......what do i need now? print off the LOI,get travel insurance and a statement to say i have enough money in my account! Is that it?or is there something im missing? thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement

snoopmadra wrote: »
    visa's got,gonna book flights this week for first couple of weeks in october,my question is this......what do i need now? print off the LOI,get travel insurance and a statement to say i have enough money in my account! Is that it?or is there something im missing? thanks in advance :)

is it a work visa? how did you get it this early?

Advertisement