Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in's and out's about whv canada

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

is it a work visa? how did you get it this early?

ya tis a work visa,got it earlier in the year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

snoopmadra wrote: »
    ya tis a work visa,got it earlier in the year:)

wouldnt mind been in your shoes, enjoy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eim

Going to Canada in three weeks. Can't wait. Anyone else going? I'm hoping to get a job in fashion. Magazine related.

just came off the radio about the expo on in dublin, calgary seems to be the place to go, fifth best city in the world sitting beside the rockys, looking for every kind of skill going.
    any ideas what time to head down at, i should be there for 9am and it starts at 10am hopefully the cue will be small at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

flights booked,flying into calgary on the 14th of october with the wife.whats the best and more importantly cheapest insurance to get?it is a condition of the IEC isnt it?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Strongly thinking of applying for IEC next year but i'm slightly confused and need some info-

Can you only apply through agencies like Usit etc? Or can you apply directly through the canadian website when it opens?

I am planning on travelling for a few months before hand, what way would this affect the requirement for the garda cert?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Nope apply directly for 105 euros is the way to go

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just wondering how far does $2500 go? It's the min amount you have to have to get into the country ( http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx?view=d#ProofFunds ). I just looked at a completely random hostel in Calgary and it's approx $35 in a dorm per night so that works out out just under a grand for 4 weeks. (granted you should be able to get a discount for staying more than 1 night).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Smac!

Question for ye....im in oz at the moment and when im done here im thinking of heading to canada....ive been told that i hadto be living at home in Ireland for the last 3 years in order to be granted a canadian visa??
    is this true....sounds like nonsense??
    thanks!

any one know what buses to get from heuston station in dublin, to the rds. really dont want to get a taxi cause ive no idea how far it is

• Advertisement

any one know what buses to get from heuston station in dublin, to the rds. really dont want to get a taxi cause ive no idea how far it is

Get the the 4 or the 7 from either O Connell st or Nassau st (trinity college)
    The 90 bus serves the city centre from Heuston, or get the Luas down the ways

Get the the 4 or the 7 from either O Connell st or Nassau st (trinity college)
    The 90 bus serves the city centre from Heuston, or get the Luas down the ways

cheers for that:)

best of luck to everyone attending the rds tomorrow and sunday. hopefully we will all get the jobs we are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LisaIE

Hello just a quick question for people who have applied for working holiday visa for Canada before, I am thinking of applying for the 2013 one when it opens but i have never gotten a visa before so dont know what to expect, i was just wondering what i should be doing in the meantime to prepare for it, what documents and things do i need for the application? want to be prepared so would like to know what they ask for.Any information anyone could give would be great! Thanks

LisaIE wrote: »
    Hello just a quick question for people who have applied for working holiday visa for Canada before, I am thinking of applying for the 2013 one when it opens but i have never gotten a visa before so dont know what to expect, i was just wondering what i should be doing in the meantime to prepare for it, what documents and things do i need for the application? want to be prepared so would like to know what they ask for.Any information anyone could give would be great! Thanks

if you have been out of the country for more then six months you will need a police cert from that country, and a police cert from your local garda station. but i think they need to be no more then 3 months old when you are applying for the whv for canada.
    also you might need a medical report depends on your job, like if u are looking for work in the hospital area, child care, teacher etc.
    dont go with usit they will take all your money, visa first is 75euro and you get your application checked. there should be a few more then the usual 5200 visas for the 2013 program. as it is to double by 2014. hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LisaIE

if you have been out of the country for more then six months you will need a police cert from that country, and a police cert from your local garda station. but i think they need to be no more then 3 months old when you are applying for the whv for canada.
    also you might need a medical report depends on your job, like if u are looking for work in the hospital area, child care, teacher etc.
    dont go with usit they will take all your money, visa first is 75euro and you get your application checked. there should be a few more then the usual 5200 visas for the 2013 program. as it is to double by 2014. hope this helps

Thanks for the reply, it has helped. I wont need a medical then, just planning on going over and picking up some work as i go along and i wont be going anywhere near USIT, going to do it directly through IEC. Fingers crossed! Still alot of research to do! Thank you for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hungryharry

Anyone know if you can drive a truck in Alberta on a international driving permit while your waiting to take your test over there(i have a truck licence in Ireland)or if any companies would take you on without a canadian licence

Smac! wrote: »
    Question for ye....im in oz at the moment and when im done here im thinking of heading to canada....ive been told that i hadto be living at home in Ireland for the last 3 years in order to be granted a canadian visa??
    is this true....sounds like nonsense??
    thanks!

im not 100% sure but i think you have to be living in ireland 18 months out of a total of 36 months which is 3 years, to qualify for a iec/whv
    why im not sure is that it could be 16 months instead of 18 months living in ireland. be worth checking it up, to be sure.
    if your living in sydney there is a usit center there, be worth popping into them and asking them there. they will tell you all you need. just dont go with them!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Anyone know if you can drive a truck in Alberta on a international driving permit while your waiting to take your test over there(i have a truck licence in Ireland)or if any companies would take you on without a canadian licence

Nope.

The international driving licence doesn't really do anything. Your Irish licence alone will allow you to drive for 3 months but you'll still struggle to get insured and you need a Canadian licence to buy/register a car. Before you leave ask your county council for a letter stating your driving history, your experience will be applied to your Canadian licence

In Alberta you'll need to sit your class 7 theory and then skip to a class 5 driving test, then you'll be fully qualified for car up to 2 axle truck. This'll take about 2/3 weeks. You can book online or at any registry, they also hand out the study book for free. You need your class 3 for any more wheels and a class 1 for tractor trailer with air brakes, it'll also let you drive anything but a bike.

The difference in class 3 and 2 is your able to drive public service. You can skip the class 3/2 and go straight for the class 1.

Class 7 is about $40, class 5 bout $140. The class 3/1 varies from $1400 to $2000, depends what school you go to.

If your willing to drive a school bus for a company called Southland in Calgary will pay for your class 2. You'll have to work for them for 3 months and the pay is only about $80 a day. Not many hours tho so you'll get time to adventure

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kallstrom86

I went to Toronto in 2010 and got the visa through USIT. I was there for a year and now I'm thinking about applying for the 2013 visa. Not going to go through USIT this time as I think they're a rip-off.

Is there anything particularly different about applying directly?? Apart from saving myself a lot of money.
    And I should be okay to apply for the second time AFAIK, can anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement

I went to Toronto in 2010 and got the visa through USIT. I was there for a year and now I'm thinking about applying for the 2013 visa. Not going to go through USIT this time as I think they're a rip-off.

Is there anything particularly different about applying directly?? Apart from saving myself a lot of money.
    And I should be okay to apply for the second time AFAIK, can anyone confirm this?

The steps are all on the IEC website there is nothing you shouldnt be able to do yourself.

Don't think there is anything to stop you applying again once you meet the eligibilty criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 pablo don

hi i have quick Question,havin really researched it much my self but am just wondering if anybody else knows if it is true or not. I am currently in Australia an am considering relocating to Canada to work.Is it true to get a whv for Canada you need to be resident in your own country(Ireland) for a year before you can get Canada visa?

goforless have just announced that they are taking bookings for the iec working holiday visa for canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

What are the benefits of applying this way?Does it matter.. if the form hasnt been sent off yet, am i just paying these guys to send it off for me when i can do it myself or can they guarantee me a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    What are the benefits of applying this way?Does it matter.. if the form hasnt been sent off yet, am i just paying these guys to send it off for me when i can do it myself or can they guarantee me a place?

i think they just check over all the paper work and make sure its all ok.

media101 wrote: »
    i think they just check over all the paper work and make sure its all ok.

Thanks for that - I think ill avoid the 75 quid so and keep it. I will fill out the forms once they are available online myself and send it.
    I dont see what else they can do differently bar a glance at the form and sending it. If i send it by registered post at least i can track it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Thanks for that - I think ill avoid the 75 quid so and keep it. I will fill out the forms once they are available online myself and send it.
    I dont see what else they can do differently bar a glance at the form and sending it. If i send it by registered post at least i can track it that way

Well I would expect them to recognise errors that may cause my applicaton to get rejected, that I wouldnt necessarily realise.

If I pay go4less for this service, must I book my flights and travel insurance with them also?

Well I would expect them to recognise errors that may cause my applicaton to get rejected, that I wouldnt necessarily realise.

If I pay go4less for this service, must I book my flights and travel insurance with them also?

I'll read your documents for 50 :-)

Doubt you need to book flights through them - Terms and conditions should be on their page so have a quick look. Can't see how you would have to though

Advertisement