Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best kebab in dublin

Options
  • 31-08-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi just wondering does anyone know or have any suggestions where the best Kebab is sold in dublin, its friday so its take away day and have a kebab in mind and dont mind travelling around dublin to get it.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Zaytoons on Camden street is the best by quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭AverageJoe82

I used to live at top of camden street 10years ago and cant remember the place, as was usually pissed walking up the street after a night out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Iskander's Dame St. for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Passion 4 Food on Clanbrassil St is the best or in the centre Mezza on Parliament St is better than Zaytoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Zaytoon besides Cassidy's on Camden Street is my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Mezza on Parliament St - just up from Zaytoon. Go for chicken shish plate meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Kababish on Clambrasil Street is the best for me. The chicken shish is what I get - looaads of proper chicken. Ask for extra tomato and onion though. This place is good for Pakastani food.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Zaytoon on Parliment Street for the best Lamb Kebab and pitsa bread .Their Coffie is also good .Will be back in Dublin after a few years soon and looking forward to going there again .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Iskander's Dame St. for me.

I had a Donner Kebab there the other night after a few pints. Bejaysus but it was dripping in grease. Didn't stop me though especially after the pints ;)

Haven't been to Zaytoons in a good while. Compared to Iskander's, I remember it being less greasey, way bigger but more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Axolotl

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Mezza on Parliament St - just up from Zaytoon. Go for chicken shish plate meal.

I always go for Mezze myself- at least as nice as (if not nicer than) Zaytoon, and far cheaper. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Zaytoon (Parliament St and Camden St) all the way :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

iskandeers for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

2 fridays ago I had a zaytoons. It was absolute dog crap in a kebab. The meat was like rubber, I could hardly eat it becasue my jaw was literally getting sore from chewing. So I left it. I did go in at silly o clock and have since been told that they take out the cheap stuff for the drunks, which in a business sense, makes sense. But i wasn't drunk.

So last friday, I decided to go for Iskanders and it was much better. Although it wasn't exactly michelin star better, the meat was edible and noway near as chewy as zaytoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Alas, Dublin has no good kebabshops :(

Must be one of the things I miss most from my homecountry, a proper kebab. I don't get it why they don't use proper bread for kebabs here, seeing as it's mostly Middle Easterners anyway who own the kebabshops so they should be able to produce that.
    No, it's always that crappy, spongy shammy look-a-like excuse of bread they use.Halfway through the meal the whole table is covered in bits of meat and lettuce because your "bread" is falling apart.

Or I must have had really bad luck and visited the only places in Dublin and Leixlip where they don't use a proper bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Did you try Zaytoon?

They bake the bread to order there, and it's as authentic and tasy :)

Monday night, I get off the bus from work, and treat myself to a Zaytoon (Sober). The only place in Ireland I'd eat a kebab sober, their Chicken Shish is unbelievable!

Did you try Zaytoon?

They bake the bread to order there, and it's as authentic and tasy :)

Monday night, I get off the bus from work, and treat myself to a Zaytoon (Sober). The only place in Ireland I'd eat a kebab sober, their Chicken Shish is unbelievable!

Granted, I haven't. As I see everybody (or almost everybody) recommending this place, I'll give Dublin kebab one last chance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've got to say that I do like Iskanders. Don't do it very often and I'm on a diet now so will be doing it even less going forward but there's something about their kebabs which I really like.

It never seems too busy in there and you can always grab a seat if you don't want to dive straight into a cab. Both of those are bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Rhand wrote: »
    Granted, I haven't. As I see everybody (or almost everybody) recommending this place, I'll give Dublin kebab one last chance ;)

Good man :), just dont try it in the a.m hours of the night were you will get it full of drunks ;).

I myself think Zatytoons is number 1 by quite a bit, now I do like Ikanders aswell but its is a step down and a bit more greasy but still has its place.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Zaytoon tends to be busy early evening with Middle Eastern family's which seems like a good sign. I notice that generally the take bread and all the fixings to the table and make them up themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 18danielstreet

Well, I have to hand it to Passion4Food on Clanbrassil St.

Breads are cooked per order, and the veg is always fresh and crisp.

Note to mods. I am not a journalist, just someone who lives around the corner and knows how good their kebabs are. Interesting how clannish you guys are.

Might be worth an article!

retroboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Note to mods. I am not a journalist, just someone who lives around the corner and knows how good their kebabs are. Interesting how clannish you guys are.
    Welcome to boards! Not sure why you would have got a message about being a journalist, but we're all happy to have you here :)

Although I cannot believe that any place is better than Iskanders. No no no, chicken shwarma me any time!

I know well!! What have i started with this tread, But for the love of finding the Holy Grail of kebab's I had to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 18danielstreet

If it is the Grail you seek, then you should definitely check out Passion4Food.

Yes, I agree with Gordon, Iskander's is good, very consistent.

Zaytoon's can be a bit hit or miss.

But, P4F is actually worth making a visit. (If you can get a seat!)

retroboy

If it is the Grail you seek, then you should definitely check out Passion4Food.

Yes, I agree with Gordon, Iskander's is good, very consistent.

Zaytoon's can be a bit hit or miss.

But, P4F is actually worth making a visit. (If you can get a seat!)

retroboy

Yes i think that is my first point of call on saturday evening after the beer festival in the RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭noddy78779

Passion 4 food on cranbrassil street are the best kebabs ive had thus far in Dublin. The best mixed and Chicken Kebabs are in P4F imo

Portions are nice and big enough to fill a very hungry belly. Prices are good also..

Would never usually touch zaytoon as they are never consistent. Iskanders used to do lovely kebabs but havent been there in a while since they are overpriced for relatively small portions. Never been to Mezza, although they have a good reputation from what I've heard.

If you were to ever trust me on one thing boardsies (if you can :P), give P4F a try, you wont regret it :)

Went last night to Zaytoons, completely full so I decided to go to the new place in Talbot Street (Istanbul or something?). I still regret it, it's crap.

The sauce was so runny, I could drink it no problem. The meat was okay, but the combination of the runny sauce and the crappy bread (its not even bread, its just a wrap of some sorts) made it a bad experience.
    And the amount of salt on the fries...

And for those who are tired of my whining, this is the sort of kebab Im used to: http://oi46.tinypic.com/f2t47l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Mezza, next door to Zaytoon on Parliament st. do a very tasty kebab. Well worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Ishmail's on Baggot st is savage, but I think he only opens at night

21/25

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

uch wrote: »
    Ishmail's on Baggot st is savage, but I think he only opens at night

under rated big time.

zaytoon man myself, even have a loyalty card.

tried iskanders there again recently, never again, wasnt my cuppa at all, doner was nasty, chicken looked better tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Went last night to Zaytoons, completely full so I decided to go to the new place in Talbot Street (Istanbul or something?). I still regret it, it's crap.

The sauce was so runny, I could drink it no problem. The meat was okay, but the combination of the runny sauce and the crappy bread (its not even bread, its just a wrap of some sorts) made it a bad experience.
    And the amount of salt on the fries...

And for those who are tired of my whining, this is the sort of kebab Im used to: http://oi46.tinypic.com/f2t47l.jpg

No offense mate but that kebab looks rank.

Zaytoon is adequate, thats about it.

The Lamb Shish from Iskanders is the best in town, get the plate, u can make 2 kebabs with nice chillis too. It is lovely.

Quality of kebabs in Ireland are bad in general but then again they are in most countries.

Advertisement