Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Keep My Dog Safe

• 31-08-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

I currently live in a town in a small housing estate. I have an 11 month old Maltese dog.

The set up at the moment is very good for him. He lives and sleeps in the conservatory and I leave the door a little ajar when I'm out or at work so he can go pee or play in the garden. The garden is completely walled in with 8ft walls so he's very safe. There's an external door from the house into the conservatory so I can lock it when I'm out so the house is secure and the dog still has his freedom and access to the garden and the conservatory. I hope that makes sense!

Anyway I'm thinking about moving house, into the countryside. The house is not walled in and in the next house there is a boxer and a jack Russell (both dogs). Will my little Maltese be safe outdoors? Should I buy a dog run for when im at work? Should I fence off an area of the garden for him? There is a small garden shed but id feel terrible leaving him in there all day. Any suggestions please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

How long are you at work for, can you come home at lunch or anyone else com in at lunch.

I would crate train him and let him out in the morning and crate for the day. I really would'nt leave him out unsupervised, especially such a small dog. They are really house dogs.

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You'd need to fence off the area anyway timber post and chainlink works well in large areas, but if the dogs next door don't get on you might need that side panelled off so they can't see each other. I would leave the dog indoors when you are out, small dogs like that are targets..even in the countryside so indoors would be best. At his age now he should be getting to the stage where he won't pee so much indoors (although with little dogs they tend to not be able to hold it as long). Long term with big gardens fencing is best otherwise you'd be driven demented. With winter on the way (sooner than we think usually) it's best to keep him in when you're not there anyway being a smallie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

RubyGirl wrote: »
    I would crate train him and let him out in the morning and crate for the day.

I really don't think it's humane to leave a dog in a crate all day every day.
    It sounds like he is happy enough pottering around the OP's house at the moment, he would probably be bored to death in a crate all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

How long are you at work for, can you come home at lunch or anyone else com in at lunch.

I would crate train him and let him out in the morning and crate for the day. I really would'nt leave him out unsupervised, especially such a small dog. They are really house dogs.

Hope it helps.

You cannot possibly leave a dog in a cage/crate all day. That is extremely cruel.

The best thing would be to fence off an area or all your garden and make sure there is access to shelter - either indoors or a kennel. Or leave him indoors if you can arrange for someone to let him out to toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Completely disagree, if he's walked and fed being in a crate while she's at work seems fine to me (and it's opinions she asked for). She may only work for a couple of hours or may get someone in at lunch to let him out for a pee.

I walk mine in the morning at 10am and there are crated until 3 every day, and they spend the whole time sleeping.

I would prefer a dog that small inside rather than out, what if he's stolen. Small dog's like her's are not for outdoors.

My 2c worth anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I don't like the thoughts of crating him for the day. There's no way anyone can get home during the day to let him out for a pee. Although he is only left alone for 5 hours he could probably hold it.

I've been thinking about it all day and here's what I've come up with. Installing a little doggie door on the shed door (with permission of house owner!) then fencing off a small garden at the side of the house (where the shed is) with some 5ft timber fencing so he can have access to the garden and to the shed with bed, food, water and toys. It won't be as draughty or cold as leaving the shed door open and he can get out for a pee or a run around whenever he wants. Then move indoors when we get home.

I do crate him at the moment at night but feel bad crating him during the day. I dont trust him not to chew something in the house while we're away though so I could never give him free reign inside unsupervised. Hes a good puppy and he hasn't chewed anything that he shouldn't in about 3-4 months...I still wouldn't trust him...he needs to prove himself!

What do you think? Can a boxer clear a 5 ft fence? Do you think the set up will work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Completely disagree, if he's walked and fed being in a crate while she's at work seems fine to me (and it's opinions she asked for).

And it's opinions she got (Opinions you disagree with still count, by the way).
    She may only work for a couple of hours or may get someone in at lunch to let him out for a pee.

I walk mine in the morning at 10am and there are crated until 3 every day, and they spend the whole time sleeping.

I would prefer a dog that small inside rather than out, what if he's stolen. Small dog's like her's are not for outdoors.

My 2c worth anyway.

Leaving a dog in a cage all day every day is treating it like a battery chicken. The dog sounds more than happy with the current arrangement and would be far happier with a similar solution in the new house and you're advising the OP to put it in a cage all day. Calling it a crate doesn't change anything.

OP, a good solution would be a doggy door with access to a portable run. Then the dog can still come in and out like he's used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Rubygirl - By reading the question the OP asked, it comes across to me she wants some sort of outdoor solution, she does not seem to want suggestions for keeping the dog indoors.

I actually agree a dog this size should not be left outside with no one home all day, but then I do not believe any dog should be left outside all day alone - either with or without someone home.

The best thing by far would be to get doggydaycare or similar, next would be to allow the dog stay in the house and have someone come in to allow him out to go to the toilet. But it is not acceptable or humane to leave a dog in a crate all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Our poodles used to clear a 5ft gate no problem when I was a kid. I'd just leave the dog indoors, and then have a run for him to go outdoors when you come home. Until you know the local people and dogs and all.

Sorry for the long post and thank you very much to all that have replied and given advice :) I get what most people are saying about him being an inside dog because of his size. However as I mentioned I can't 100% trust him indoors without supervision as he's still a puppy and I don't want to crate him during the day.

There's no such thing as doggy day care where I'm living so that's out I guess. I don't really see any other option than keeping him outside with somewhere to sleep and take shelter while we're at work. He really seems to enjoy the little bit of freedom he has at the moment between the sun room and the garden. He never whines or barks when we leave. I would often sneak in when I get home and he's normally lying in the garden chewing on a bone - happy out! I could keep have him inside full time when he's a little older and can be fully trusted.

Interesting to know a poodle can jump 5 metres...may have to have a rethink of my plan. I'll hold off doing anything drastic until I see if he can get along with the 2 dogs next door. Buddy's track record with other dogs isn't great tbh! He is just too friendly and tends to annoy older dogs, jumping around them and looking to play, to the point where they growl or snap. So fencing him in somehow is probably for the best.

• Advertisement

Here's a pic of the little mite for anyone interested! I've never uploaded a photo before so I hope this works!

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/86294780@N07/7903721688/in/photostream/

Seems to work, there's 3 photos up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Interesting to know a poodle can jump 5 metres...

Five feet! Not metres!

When I had cats in a rough area I surrounded my small yard by chainlink fence, turning inward at the top. Maybe you could do the same, but turn the chainlink outwards? (Mine was around seven feet tall.)

Oops...I ment to write feet! Be some dog to jump 5 metres!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I don't want to scare you, but I know of someone with a similar sized dog (''mini'' Yorkie) that got killed by a cat, the owners used to leave it out back all day and it had nowhere to run/hide when the cat came around, neighbors saw it and scared off the cat but it was too late. Unless you can make sure that the dog has someplace to hide (flap into garden shed would be good, make sure its magnetized/microchip activated so no one else can follow) I wouldn't recommend leaving him outside at all. Also another thing to consider especially with pure bred dogs is that dog thefts are on the rise, a Maltese is the perfect size for someone to hop the fence, grab the dog and run and either breed unscrupulously from him, or if he is neutered, sell on, or even worse, use as a bait dog. I think a good solution for your problem would be to build a good sturdy run for the dog onto the shed so he has some shelter for when you have to eave him outside. Would he be allowed into the house at all or are you looking to make him outdoors full time? Because Maltese really aren't suited to full time outdoor life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think putting a puppy to stay in a crate/cage for 4/5/6 hours in the daytime, while bring left alone in a house is cruel.
    Very different to crate training for sleep/ illness/transport. I would personally be horrified if I thought this was happening.

Have you considered looking at renting a different house ; you are renting; one that would be more suited to your actual needs. Ie a walled or secured garden for your pet.

1; danger of pet theft
    2: danger of being injured in play or attacked by 3 neighbouring dogs
    3:danger of wandering off & being injured/lost/hit by car/unable to return home

Etc.

You say there is no doggy day care where you are. Would you consider putting up a sign & getting someone in for an hour to feed/play with/walk your pet.

The costs of a cat-flap/Bichon-flap & fencing could run into hundreds but if you're planning to stay there LT could be worth the investment but I would still be concerned particularly about the JR dogs loose from next door who could equally use a CF to get into your " new" place too & cause damage or attack your dog. A lot of them dont have good reputations & many IME can be quite aggressive & snappy . ( thou not all)

There's my tuppence worth

Big no to all day or even half day crating regardless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I had to laugh at the OP asking if her "little maltese" will be safe around the Boxer. From my experience the owner of the Boxer should be the one worrying about that

Advertisement