Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About time owners are held accountable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

We have poor dog owners, we have poor parents, we have poor drivers...and we have little accountability. But at the end of the day it's down to the human. When you see the way dogs are kept in small back gardens, never walked, allowed to wander the roads unsupervised and not on leads is it really surprising?

This has got nothing to do with dogs being held in higher regard by some people. That is just a cop out and a lazy argument. Why do parents give their young children puppies for Christmas and then when the child discovers the dog had to be fed, trained and walked it ends up a the dog pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

The Indo is a pathetic rag of a paper and I'd like to read a less melodramatic report of the incident and the circumstances preceding it.

Nevertheless it does come across that the 'owner' was not (or possibly not even capable of) doing his duty to his community or his pets. He deserved to be locked up for the danger that HE caused the dogs to become, he probably should be held responsible for animal cruelty for turning social animals into "feral dogs running amok".

The defence put forward that he 'recently became a father' as if that should soften the judges view, I'm inclined to think that is even more reason to ban him from ever having dogs and if not to bar him access to his children for their safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Well someone used a Thesauraus in that article :rolleyes:

Going by that lads police mugshot, he needs as much help as the dogs do TBH.

I take articles like that with a pinch of salt. "Marauding" Staffies working in tandem together, i dont think so LOL!:D Its the "8 previous convictions" that they were trying to sting that lad for and Tom the "journalist" did an A1 job of hyping it up with fancy descriptions of so called vicious,rampaging dogs...that were nothing more than a few insurance claimers getting a scratch on their little fingers and making the most of it.

Sorry OP....but read between the ridiculously sensationalised lines here.I'm not a "stick up for the dogs" here cause, but what a waffly bunch of diatribed awfulness that article is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Assassins Creed

Anxious.

Yes i agree people should be made responsible for the actions of their dogs. It was a shocking and horrendous attack that these dogs carried out and yes the responsibility lies with the owner. An owner that has a past so colourfull and from his comments, resembles that which is not what should exist in society today, never mind one who should own dogs.

But i must point out that there are millions of dogs in ownership, huge numbers of what are labeled as restricted breeds. Dangerous dogs as many label them, but a huge and i mean nearly all live within easy access to attacking people on a daily basis :eek:. How many incidents can you point out to support your pont.

Any attack by any dog is horrendous,and you wont get many arguements here!

What i am pointing out to you is that millions of owners do take responsibility for their dogs on a daily basis and this is the reason why we dont see attacks on a large scale.

Have you any idea how many dogs there are in this world, cause i dont. But i know its more than i wish to count.

It is sensationalism by the press and the op has swallowed exactly what the motive of the story was and that is to create hysteria on dog attacks no matter how infrequent because its shock, horror and sells papers. This story will gather momentum and the lynch mob, those that are easily swayed will call for all kinds of extreme controls on dog ownership and there will be many an idiot that will jump in with their tuppence worth.

And thats my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

It's England! Doesn't exactly change anything in Ireland but hopefully we'll start going down similar paths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Abused drug user gets I year in UK for out of control restricted breed multiple attacks.
    :UK.

Convicted rapist Anthony Lyons from Griffith Avenue Dublin gets 6 months for horrific assault & rape of neighbour. Ire.

Do you really think we'll ever get ANYTHING to do with courts & sentencing together .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

anniehoo wrote: »

I take articles like that with a pinch of salt. "Marauding" Staffies working in tandem together, i dont think so LOL!:D Its the "8 previous convictions" that they were trying to sting that lad for and Tom the "journalist" did an A1 job of hyping it up with fancy descriptions of so called vicious,rampaging dogs...that were nothing more than a few insurance claimers getting a scratch on their little fingers and making the most of it.

Sorry OP....but read between the ridiculously sensationalised lines here.I'm not a "stick up for the dogs" here cause, but what a waffly bunch of diatribed awfulness that article is.
    realy? thats not what the story said. or are you a witness??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

anniehoo wrote: »

I dont really care, how the article is written. The facts are the facts and they can't be changed. The reason I posted this was to highlight the steps the uk have taken, and I am trying to get people opinions on if these laws were taken up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Personally I think it would be good if we followed. I also think it would be a step in the right direction if people looking for dogs had to pass some sort of test so they could get the dog. Different tests for different breeds.I think that would stop lots of bad ownership and possibly stop BYB. Restricted breed list should also be removed so the whole blame just lies with the owner.

Enforcing it all is another matter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Agreed Billy, the restricted breed list is utterly arbitrary and meaningless and should be dropped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement