Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I seem to have gone deaf in my left ear.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Chew some chewing gum...sometimes loosens things up if it's a bit of pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Heat up an iron and hold it to the side of your head for 5 to 10 minutes. Should melt any excess ear wax.

Alternatively if you want to be boring I believe a small drop of warm olive oil will do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

There has been some great advice given above, I am convinced most the AHers are really doctors.

Your ears are like your eyes, when something goes wrong suddenly it is an indication of something serious happening, perhaps to your brain, see a doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Biggins wrote: »

O.O I'm sleeping with ear plugs from now on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Orim wrote: »
    Heat up an iron and hold it to the side of your head for 5 to 10 minutes. Should melt any excess ear wax.

Alternatively if you want to be boring I believe a small drop of warm olive oil will do the same.

Trust me on this, warm olive oil in your ear will be what your doctor will advise you to do. They won't wash out your ear until you've loosened up the wax with some warm olive oil overnight because if you don't do that, the wax won't come out and it'll just be a waste of time.

Probably a spider gone in while you were asleep and laid some eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

DEVEREUX wrote: »
    OMFG that is vile...fair enough you get your cute lil flies and cuddly moths trapped in there, but having that eight eyed yoke staring back out would make me wanna claw that side of my face off. Bllllleeeeeeuuuuuuurrrrggh!!

It does happen. While cycling, I once had a fly fly into my ear. All I heard was buzzing inside my head for about 5 minutes and it freaked me out. Went immediately to doc but the the fly had flew back out then. He did syringe my ear to be on the safe side though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

buy some Waxsol from the chemist and use that, I find it usually takes a good few days for it to soften up

I often end up using a syringe filled with warm water to wash it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Biggins wrote: »
    I would have thought you could get the boyfriend to do that! :D

I dont have a boyfriend, I'm a heterosexual manchild. Now if only I could get the girlfriend to do that !!

Step one would be get a girl friend though I suppose so ammm lets put that down on the to do list......

• Advertisement

Notorioux wrote: »
    Eat your ear wax.

I tasted it before and its quite possibly the worst thing I have ever tasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Scioch wrote: »

Great for homemade candle though, yuckkk, I feel sick now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I dont have a boyfriend, I'm a heterosexual manchild. Now if only I could get the girlfriend to do that !!

Step one would be get a girl friend though I suppose so ammm lets put that down on the to do list......

You will need to start washing yourself a bit more often. Once every 4 days is not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Lidl are currently doing a good synthetic cleaner for only €1.79. Buy a can, spray its contents into your bad ear. It will then work its efficent but cheap German magic within your ear-head-hole and you will be all better. Make sure you are standing on some lino while doing this-and have a microfiber cloth handy. Worst case scenario, if you collapse, you can buff the floor while writhing about waiting for an ambulance. Win-win really.

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    You will need to start washing yourself a bit more often. Once every 4 days is not enough.

I wash more often than every four days.....usually. I just have been busy this past week or so. Anyway, little bit of dirt does ya the world of good. Keeps your old immune system vigilant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I wash more often than every four days.....usually. I just have been busy this past week or so. Anyway, little bit of dirt does ya the world of good. Keeps your old immune system vigilant.

I have had my ear syringed twice before. Does your ear get blocked for a bit then unblock and block again. If that is whats happening it does that for a while then eventually if blocks and stays blocked. Your hearing will be crap in that ear.

If you do have wax and go to the doctor. You will be told to use a wax softener for a few days then the doctor will pump warm water into your ear to unblock it.

woodoo wrote: »
    I have had my ear syringed twice before. Does your ear get blocked for a bit then unblock and block again. If that is whats happening it does that for a while then eventually if blocks and stays blocked. Your hearing will be crap in that ear.

If you do have wax and go to the doctor. You will be told to use a wax softener for a few days then the doctor will pump warm water into your ear to unblock it.

Doesnt happen that often so I dont there is any urgent problem. I'll look into having them cleaned out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Ear started buzzing and now its all weird like I'm partially deaf or something. I tried the old hold you nose and blow trick but I nearly passed out, my nose started to bleed and I'm still deaf. So that was a no go.

Anyone any other ideas ?
    My wife had the same 4 years ago. Went to doctor next day, tablets etc.didnt work. Doc on call later same thing knew nothing. Got appointment at eye and ear a week later only to be told should have got app asap! Her hearing is completly gone. My advise go to your gp and demand an appointment at eye and ear. If he dosnt go direct yourself and demand to be seen. They told herself that if she was seen in the first 24 hrs then they might have saved 30% of her hearing. Trust your gut if in doubt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

breffni666 wrote: »
    My wife had the same 4 years ago. Went to doctor next day, tablets etc.didnt work. Doc on call later same thing knew nothing. Got appointment at eye and ear a week later only to be told should have got app asap! Her hearing is completly gone. My advise go to your gp and demand an appointment at eye and ear. If he dosnt go direct yourself and demand to be seen. They told herself that if she was seen in the first 24 hrs then they might have saved 30% of her hearing. Trust your gut if in doubt!

Hence why I never understand people messing around in AH

Go to your GP/Doctor

I'm sorry I needed to shout that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

do girls really fancy deaf guys?

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Hence why I never understand people messing around in AH

Go to your GP/Doctor

I'm sorry I needed to shout that.
    Ahh stop being a cissie. Try the Lidl spray, then post back OP, do your best to include the effect on the lino, I've a bit out the back I need to buff up, oh, and err, your ear, what way that went and stuff.

BBDBB wrote: »
    do girls really fancy deaf guys?

I never heard any complaints.

I never heard any complaints.

Groan
    But
    Ha Ha,:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think this is your problem:

Seems like a lot of people are at it these days :O

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gone+deaf+in+one+ear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Pa Dee wrote: »
    BA!!!!!! As the nun said...

Sister Lidia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

AIDS. Definitely AIDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

stoneill wrote: »
    Sister Lidia

Eh, Sister Lydia in Cabra?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Celtic Tiger cub? I was raised on rabbit, nettle soup and earwax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Deffo:D a case of "once you go Black you go deaf".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

My deaf girlfriend was talking in her sleep last night.

She nearly took my ****ing eye out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Ear started buzzing and now its all weird like I'm partially deaf or something. I tried the old hold you nose and blow trick but I nearly passed out, my nose started to bleed and I'm still deaf. So that was a no go.

Anyone any other ideas ?

How old are you?
    If you are under 40, then it could be a wisdom tooth on the march.
    Failing that it could be that your left ear is clogged. Blowing your fcuking nose or having your mate hit you in the side of the head with a wet towel 10 times will NOT help.
    There's no quick cure to lug congestion....just put some olive oil in your ear, lie down, relax, and take the muthafukkin headphones off for an hour.

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    AIDS. Definitely AIDs.

the bad kind of AIDS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

OP, are u wearing a towel?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Start cooking meth OP! It cured one man of cancer, it should surely fix your ear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My mother suddenly went deaf in one ear years ago. When she went to the doctor to get it checked out, he syringed her ear, and a huge dead moth shot out:eek:

AIDS. Definitely AIDs.

the bad kind of AIDS?

I'm afraid so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's probably just wax shifted. Try massage your ear canal gently.

I'm afraid so.

thats terrible

my thoughts are with his family

• Advertisement

thats terrible

my thoughts are with his family

Thoughts are with the family ? What about me ? I'm the one with aids in my ear. :(

Thoughts are with the family ? What about me ? I'm the one with aids in my ear. :(

no point telling you my thoughts are with you, you're deaf ya eejit ;):D

no point telling you my thoughts are with you, you're deaf ya eejit ;):D

Fair point :pac:

whats sign language for "sorry to hear about the AIDS in your ear, hope it clears up soon"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

whats sign language for "sorry to hear about the AIDS in your ear, hope it clears up soon"?

Stick yer fingers in yer ears and go ding a ling a loo!!:D

Nice knowing ya OP. (You're welcome for the diagnosis, remember me in your will).

• Advertisement

the bad kind of AIDS?
    Yis, Auditory Inflammation and Discharge Symptoms. It's usually fatal and you get it from having man-love-time unprotected. The only cure is to sleep with ten virgins, which, given where he lives, is like saying "learn to fly using feathers stuck up your hole". My condolences OP, sorry, MY CONDOLENCES OP. Poor Deaf sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

Problems with your left ear? Sounds Sinister!

Has the OP went to a doctor yet???

Or is he holding out to save a few bob by getting free advice of all us doctors here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Were you sticking your penis in your ear and doing petrol pump impressions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

It sounds like your ear may be possessed. Quickest solution is to preempt the demon's demands and just kill your family, exorcisms tend to be long, drawn out affairs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement