Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three mobile broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Ive been using three broadband in conjunction with a no-ip.com account to provide internet access to an ip camera.

This has stopped working the past three weeks, my public ip from three now shows as 178.x.x.x when i check my ip on the internet but it shows as 10.x.x.x when i run ipconfig locally.

A
    Has anything changed on three?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

sarah_ie wrote: »
    Hi, I can reate to all the comments here. I've had a not to bad, bearable service from three for 8 months but for the last month im getting speed test results as low as 0.07mbps!! :mad::mad: I've called them today asking them to cancel my contract with immediate effect so I don't have to pay for a service I'm not recieving. 0.07mbps is a far cry from what the sales team promoted when selling me my 60mb heavy usage contract.

This has really angered me and I would like to pursue this further with a consumer agency or small claims court, I'm just wondering has anyone else had any success in his matter?

I had the same problem last year with speeds as low as 0.02 mbps and after getting no satisfaction from Three I contacted Comreg who informed me they were looking into the matter.
    Three told me on the phone(Comreg confirmed) that speeds of 0.4 mbps was acceptable and
    Eventually Comreg got back to me and asked me to do more speed tests and to send them the results and although the speeds were still very low they found that the service being provided was adequate, when I mentioned the service I was sold promised download speeds of up to 21 mbps they said that is the maximum speed the wifi thingy can receive and not the actual download speed being received by the customer.
    Comreg from what I could tell couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I signed up to three last Thursday and I am having speed problems. At the time of writing this I cannot load a youtube video. My speed in 0.30mbps. I also have a problem connecting devices to the WiFi dongle, the signal from it is not strong enough. Will three be able to do anything to solve these problems? I was with O2 and had no problems, only left them to get a larger download limit.

I signed up to three last Thursday and I am having speed problems. At the time of writing this I cannot load a youtube video. My speed in 0.30mbps. I also have a problem connecting devices to the WiFi dongle, the signal from it is not strong enough. Will three be able to do anything to solve these problems? I was with O2 and had no problems, only left them to get a larger download limit.
    Sorry to hear of your issues, it is a real pain to say the least.
    Are you sure your speed isn't 0.03?
    My experience with Three customer service was that they say they will have someone look into it and then say they find the download speed acceptable and do nothing.
    If you're not locked into the contract yet now is the time to make noise with them.

Broadband still slow tonight, so I am going to go into the three shop tomorrow to complain about it. I hope it will be a good result, but not expecting one. Can they do anything to increase signal?

Broadband still slow tonight, so I am going to go into the three shop tomorrow to complain about it. I hope it will be a good result, but not expecting one. Can they do anything to increase signal?

I think they can increase speed when they want, when I complained to comreg and had to send them speed test results the speeds greatly increased before dropping again after.
    The weather definitely isn't helping though..

Going to talk to three tomorrow,the internet is unusable tonight cant load a youtube video? Hope tomorrow goes well and the problem is fixed. Did they to anything to help other people who had the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sarah_ie

Going to talk to three tomorrow,the internet is unusable tonight cant load a youtube video? Hope tomorrow goes well and the problem is fixed. Did they to anything to help other people who had the same problem?

Just be careful not to pass the last date you can get out of contract. They might tell you they will try to increase your speed and have you doing silly things like turning on and off he dongle every hour and then say the technical tem are trying to sort it out but I tried it all over a long period time and nothing works, it seems they just have too many people signed up in my area. Now I'm left paying them €35 for nothing on top of the €40 I'm paying UPC to actually gt broadband (very fast from UPC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

sarah_ie wrote: »
    Just be careful not to pass the last date you can get out of contract. They might tell you they will try to increase your speed and have you doing silly things like turning on and off he dongle every hour and then say the technical tem are trying to sort it out but I tried it all over a long period time and nothing works, it seems they just have too many people signed up in my area. Now I'm left paying them €35 for nothing on top of the €40 I'm paying UPC to actually gt broadband (very fast from UPC).

Fight em if you have the time and energy it has been done.

Basics are

1) Send three an email with the subject line Formal Complaint to customer.services.ie@3mail.com and cc it to consumerline@comreg.ie.

In the email provide your account information and request that your account be terminated immediately without further cost to you because three haven't provided you with broadband.

Give as many low speed examples as you can and state that you have already been through three's troubleshooting process and that there was no improvement. Point out that after wasting X amount of time on pointless troubleshooting you will not be going down that route again.

Say that you have emailed the complaint to comreg because you will be following up with them if you don't get a satisfactory response from them within the 10 working days allowed by threes own dispute procedure.

Finally point out that as the service has been so bad that if there is no satisfactory outcome even with comregs involvement you will be forced to lodge a claim with the Small Claims Court for the cessation of your contract and the return of all money paid to three.

2) Follow up with comreg

3) Lodge a claim (costs €28) with the Small Claims Court.

Hopefully you won't have to go as far as 3.

Even if you lose at the SCC it can't cost you more than the €28 court fee because neither you nor three can claim costs. You may not be entitled to all your money back but three have to turn up to defend the case so it would be easier just to allow you to terminate the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 oshea01

i have three broadband and have 60gb pro, used 60gb in 14 days, in that they say i used 14 gb in 1 day, has anybody got the same problem, i dont know of anybody who has used this amount, and i know people who use there computer for work, on it 24/7,,,

14Gb is a lot in a day but still possible. I have a very poor three connection but still manage to torrent 3-4GB files overnight, during the day that wouldn't happen its so slow.

Only option I can think of is to get Pay as you go SIM top it up with a set amount and then use your internet as you have been and see how long it lasts. That way you can see how much you use by when you get cut off.

oshea01 wrote: »
    i have three broadband and have 60gb pro, used 60gb in 14 days, in that they say i used 14 gb in 1 day, has anybody got the same problem, i dont know of anybody who has used this amount, and i know people who use there computer for work, on it 24/7,,,

As mentioned by The Glass Key it is possible to download that amount in 24hrs, the download speed would have to be quite high, I've noticed if downloading after midnight when the traffic Is low I have gotten upto 300kbps and would use give or take about 1GB per hour.
    If you were not downloading I can't see how it would be possible unless someone is piggy backing on your connection.

Three broadband so slow it unusable most of the time. Went into the shop and was given a new sim card, still the same. Has anyone had any luck with getting better speed.

Three broadband so slow it unusable most of the time. Went into the shop and was given a new sim card, still the same. Has anyone had any luck with getting better speed.

They have probably over subscribed in your area so I doubt your speed will improve by much, Three will pretty much deny there is a problem with the speeds and have customer service feed you scripted rhetoric.
    I threatened to cancel the DD and within an hour a CS manager was on the phone. Mine is ok most of the time but still nowhere near good enough for what it costs

They shouldn't be allowed sell their service as broadband because it's only midband at best and they also shouldn't tell people they can receive speeds of up to 21MB when the reality is you'll get 1% of that if you're lucky.

If you're not getting the service you're paying for the onus is on them to fix it or release you from your contract.
    Also there are Three employees you could contact here, when I had problems they didn't come near me so you'll probably have to contact them.
    Good luck

I just called three and was told to turn of the wifi device when not using it, and that it was slow in the evening because a lot of people are using it. I was also told to reset the device. I was with O2 and never had these problems, only left because of the download limit. I know that before doing the reset I will be ringing them again.

• Advertisement

I just called three and was told to turn of the wifi device when not using it, and that it was slow in the evening because a lot of people are using it. I was also told to reset the device. I was with O2 and never had these problems, only left because of the download limit. I know that before doing the reset I will be ringing them again.

That's exactly what they told me, I was also told not to have the modem on for more than a couple of hours a day. Resetting is ok if you lose connection but it won't improve speed.

fr3d12 wrote: »
    That's exactly what they told me, I was also told not to have the modem on for more than a couple of hours a day. Resetting is ok if you lose connection but it won't improve speed.

They tell you to switch off because they are running out of IP addresses :rolleyes:

My three broadband connection is so slow,I have the 5220 wifi device. Is there any way to make the speed faster for as little cost as possible. Will putting it in the attic
    make any difference. Any antenna I could use?

My three broadband connection is so slow,I have the 5220 wifi device. Is there any way to make the speed faster for as little cost as possible. Will putting it in the attic
    make any difference. Any antenna I could use?

You might get a better signal higher up, I've tried mine on top of wardrobes etc and didn't notice much of a difference but maybe it will be better for you.
    Would be a pain in the ass if you had to reset often.

You can buy wifi boosters to enhance your signal, I've never used them so can't comment on how effective they are.
    This is practically the first one I came across.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Repeater-Extender-Complies-Coverage/dp/B00A6STNVI/ref=sr_1_3/278-4952698-9917149?ie=UTF8&qid=1391975810&sr=8-3&keywords=booster+wifi

Tried it in the attic and no difference. Contacted three and was told to tell them the times it was slow and that one of the technical team will contact me to troubleshoot. If I get told to reset the router I will tell them that I did it about ten times and no difference.

• Advertisement

Tried it in the attic and no difference. Contacted three and was told to tell them the times it was slow and that one of the technical team will contact me to troubleshoot. If I get told to reset the router I will tell them that I did it about ten times and no difference.

They will check all that with you again to be sure.
    The signal should have been a little better in the attic.
    It is more than likely reception but It could also be your network settings or something simple that's causing the issue.

I have looked at the settings on the device and cannot see where the settings could be wrong. I had O2 and the settings are nearly the same.

I have looked at the settings on the device and cannot see where the settings could be wrong. I had O2 and the settings are nearly the same.

It's probably a combination of bad reception and over subscription by Three in your area.
    Can you mention what county you're in?

I live in Laois 3.5 miles from Carlow town. When I signed up I taught it would be good because the mast is just up the hill from me about 5 or 6 miles. But I am under a hill so that could be a problem. It was no problem when I was with O2, so I think it too many user in the one area.

You would expect a good network connection being that close to the mast.
    If you're locked into a contract you should record speed test results a couple of times a day, even if they can't do anything for you they won't admit it and won't want to let you cancel.
    You could bring the wifi device out around your backyard and see where the signal is strongest, even with mine here if the device only moves a half inch I lose connection.
    I used to be with Imagine before I moved and for the same money I had unlimited super fast broadband, big difference in attitudes between the two companies.

I live in Laois 3.5 miles from Carlow town. When I signed up I taught it would be good because the mast is just up the hill from me about 5 or 6 miles. But I am under a hill so that could be a problem. It was no problem when I was with O2, so I think it too many user in the one area.

If congestion is the problem than 5-6 miles is a long long way from the mast. With no other users it will work fine at that range but if you don't have line of site and are 5-6 miles away from the mast three telling you anything other than you'll have an intermittent service would be a lie.

The problem with 3G is cell shrinkage due to cell breathing (google the terms) so as the numbers of other users build up those near the edge loose their connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Isn't the network usually congested to f*ck!?

You could keep a simple constant ping going to keep the connection alive... it might help

I used to use it when i was using a dongle to keep the connection always on so it woudn't lag if I was doing anything or using it on xbox live

In the cmd type in "ping google.com -t" and it might help

I just contacted technical support and was told that the speed of .45mbs was a good speed,how is this a good speed when I cannot watch a video on youtube. I was told for the next 2 to 3 days to not have any idle time on the router and to turn it off when not in use. Why is this the case, I taught that broadband was an always on connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

welcome to mobile "broadband" this is a standard story and a speed of 0.00000001kbs is ok...yep

I was with O2 and had no problem only small download limit, so it is not mobile broadband it is just three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I was with O2 and had no problem only small download limit, so it is not mobile broadband it is just three.

wrong mobile "broadband" is hit and miss at the best of times that's why it's crap for anything but some light browsing, it cannot be a replacement for real broadband.

WRT to O2 all that means is it wasn't a busy network...

Is there anyway to extend the range of the WiFi device e5220.

Is there anyway to extend the range of the WiFi device e5220.

The three speeds are so poor you could use a WiFi repeater. I wouldn't normally recommend a WiFi repeater because they can reduce the computer to computer speed of your LAN but you shouldn't notice any difference with the speeds you are likely to get from 3.

Ideally I'd use a 3G dongle in a router and then cable the connection to WiFi access point.

Will one of these wifi repeaters work with the e5220 and will it use up one of the 5 devices allowed to connect to the router. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-WS320-Wi-Fi-Repeater/dp/B007SU0BJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392696292&sr=8-1&keywords=mobile+broadband+range+extender#productDetails

Will one of these wifi repeaters work with the e5220 and will it use up one of the 5 devices allowed to connect to the router. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-WS320-Wi-Fi-Repeater/dp/B007SU0BJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392696292&sr=8-1&keywords=mobile+broadband+range+extender#productDetails

Thats the sort of thing, another would be http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA750RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00CEB53JQ/ search Amazon.co.uk for Wifi Repeater for many more options.

Personally I'd go for a Wireless Access Point that can also be used as a Wireless bridge, that gives you more flexability if you need to change things around but can be a lot more technical to set up. So probably best to stick with the plain repeater/range extender.

Thats the sort of thing, another would be http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA750RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00CEB53JQ/ search Amazon.co.uk for Wifi Repeater for many more options.

Personally I'd go for a Wireless Access Point that can also be used as a Wireless bridge, that gives you more flexability if you need to change things around but can be a lot more technical to set up. So probably best to stick with the plain repeater/range extender.

Will it use up one of the space of one of the five devices that are allowed to connect to it. I want to know because I have 5 devices connect a lot of the time. I would expect that it might but am not sure .

Will it use up one of the space of one of the five devices that are allowed to connect to it. I want to know because I have 5 devices connect a lot of the time. I would expect that it might but am not sure .

Good question, tbh I can't say for sure.

A repeater so just repeats everything on the originating WiFi but it needs an IP address so will use up one of the 5 available it won't do that if you assign it a static IP address.

Is there an antenna you can get to connect to the Huawei E5220 and will it improve the speed of My connection if I get one?

• Advertisement

I there anyway to increase the signal coming into the house? Would an Ariel attached to Huawei E5220 make any difference?

I'm not sure what if anything would be effective in your circumstances but I came across these the other day.

Mobile Broadband Outdoor Panel Antenna.
    Clip antenna.
    High Gain 3G Directional Antenna.

The clip antenna is probably the weakest of the three options.
    I honestly can't tell you if they will work for you but if you google them you'll find loads of info on them all.

You also might be as well off to just ask Three to release you from your contract.

I have put the modem in the attic and the speed has increased, it over 1mb most of the time and over 2 or 3 as well. So big difference in speed. Only problem is since putting it up a few days ago I have lost connection about once a day. this morning I could not get the signal light to stay green. I turned it on and off a few times and it stayed green. Does anyone else have this problem and can it be fixed? Other than that I am happy with the broadband and the speed.

I have put the modem in the attic and the speed has increased, it over 1mb most of the time and over 2 or 3 as well. So big difference in speed. Only problem is since putting it up a few days ago I have lost connection about once a day. this morning I could not get the signal light to stay green. I turned it on and off a few times and it stayed green. Does anyone else have this problem and can it be fixed? Other than that I am happy with the broadband and the speed.

I'm not sure to be honest what you can do, my huawei wifi modem will disconnect at least once a day and has to be reset to get it going again but mine is beside me so it's not really an issue.
    I'm glad at you are getting some service at least.

I'm not sure to be honest what you can do, my huawei wifi modem will disconnect at least once a day and has to be reset to get it going again but mine is beside me so it's not really an issue.
    I'm glad at you are getting some service at least.

LOL My current set up has my router about 300m away and on the other side of a river. When there's not much water in the river the quickest way to do a hard reset if one through the web interface fails is to put my waders on and cross the river. When the rivers up a bit its a longer walk around the road way and over the bridge. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I have to do a daily hard reset but can also go 5 days (seems about the limit) without a reboot.

LOL My current set up has my router about 300m away and on the other side of a river. When there's not much water in the river the quickest way to do a hard reset if one through the web interface fails is to put my waders on and cross the river. When the rivers up a bit its a longer walk around the road way and over the bridge. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I have to do a daily hard reset but can also go 5 days (seems about the limit) without a reboot.

Haha that is funny sorry for giggling.:D
    I couldn't imagine pulling the waders on at say 11pm though.

• Advertisement

It has been done :eek: The router is on a neighbors property and its less bother to them if I nip across the river than if I walk down their drive around the house and through the garden and back, particularly at night. They are good enough to allow me to have the router on their property so I don't want to fire off all their security lights if I don't have to.

I have other locations I can use but the current one while not the best is the easiest to maintain along with being the safest location for my gear.

Needless to say three tell me (I still have the emails) that my location has "great out and about coverage" but no mention of needing waders :rolleyes::D

It has been done :eek: The router is on a neighbors property and its less bother to them if I nip across the river than if I walk down their drive around the house and through the garden and back, particularly at night. They are good enough to allow me to have the router on their property so I don't want to fire off all their security lights if I don't have to.

I have other locations I can use but the current one while not the best is the easiest to maintain along with being the safest location for my gear.

Needless to say three tell me (I still have the emails) that my location has "great out and about coverage" but no mention of needing waders :rolleyes::D

Good neighours are as hard to find as good friends.
    I can imagine how you wouldn't want to set off sensors and have the dogs barking etc so it does make sense to get the waders on.
    Has it happened where you have just taken the waders off and gone indoors after a reset and had to head straight back over again?

Seems many of us are in the same situation with regard to broadband services, the only reason I'm still with Three is because there are very few ISP's who can service my area, Three never once admitted to me that my area has bad reception and just spouted about no one else in the area had a problem etc but that said it has been adequate for a while now, speeds during the day can be really bad though, this time of night it improves greatly for obvious reasons.

Does Rain effect the signal? It is very slow tonight does anyone else have the same problem.

Does Rain effect the signal? It is very slow tonight does anyone else have the same problem.
    Rain affects my signal. I have no signal bars on the modem and it takes a while to load a site etc.
    When we had the scorching heat for the few weeks last summer I had a terrible connection so weather does play a part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I signed up to three two months ago on their 60gb pro package,in the first week everything was fine but it's been downhill since with download speeds ranging from 0.19 to 0.30mbps,the service i was sold promised upto 21.
    I constantly have to switch the modem off and on after losing the connection,i've made countless calls to customer care who assure me someone from their tech team will get to me within 24hrs but they never do.
    One CC agent told me i was leaving the modem on too long and that 1-2 hours per day was enough!
    So the way i see it is that i've been missold a service and would like to ask has anyone been able to get out of the contract?

I'd appreciate any relevant input.

where are you based?

• Advertisement
Advertisement