Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Hate Weddings - LOATH THEM.

• 31-08-2012 7:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Following on the gift thread:

I have never been to a wedding where I did not hate every second of it. The fake happiness of the other guests. A general sense of unease. Most people get wasted just to help them forget they are at a wedding.

I COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY HATE WEDDINGS.

Am I the only person who feels this way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes. If I don't want to be there, I won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Nope, I hate them too.

But I'm still getting married:p

But there will be water pistols and nerf guns and a private pool and a free bar so HOPEFULLY it won't be boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

What weddings to you go to? Generally I enjoy myself, dance a bit and when I was single occasionally (very) get laid. All the other guests seem to enjoy themselves usually too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Yeah they're shit. There's always a drunk aunty pressuring you to dance with them. I much prefer funerals myself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The weddings rang. They hate you too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I hate and loathe them I resent the expense of them all for a day I will hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

With regard to weddings where I don't know many/any people, yeah. With regard to the weddings of my friends - no, they were a blast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yep weddings are like the nine circles of Dante's hell. At some point in the long day you will visit each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Look just post them an envelope full of money and be done with it, it's probably the only reason you're invited anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Not so gone on the Wedding parts, but I love the receptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

phasers wrote: »
    Look just post them an envelope full of money and be done with it, it's probably the only reason you're invited anyway

Or the old blank card without your name on it just saying congrats!

---> to the stingy thread i go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

phasers wrote: »

probably the only reason many guests are invited - ie, to claw back some of the ridiculous amount of dosh spent being ripped off by hotels, flower providers, cake-makers, dress-makers etc. - just because the event is classified as a 'wedding'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I like the bit when the bride gets drunk and insists on showing me her ring ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Friends weddings are brilliant, other halves where I dont know many people are usually a great laugh too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You do know there is usually booze right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't get why people waste so much money on weddings though. Like many people need to take out a freaking loan because they need to have a big fancy wedding in a castle and buy a super fancy wedding dress...

Like yeah, it may be an important day in your life and you can throw a party or something for it to celebrate with your family and friends but spending thousands to have a big wedding in a castle and all is just showing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Generally are good craic at the end of the day....but the new craze of having two day weddings are a pain in the hole...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I don't get why people waste so much money on weddings though. Like many people need to take out a freaking loan because they need to have a big fancy wedding in a castle and buy a super fancy wedding dress...

Like yeah, it may be an important day in your life and you can throw a party or something for it to celebrate with your family and friends but spending thousands to have a big wedding in a castle and all is just showing off.

Im going to guess you're single...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Agricola wrote: »

Nope not single.

Just forever alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I like them, I don't intend on having one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Because they require the adulation of others?

Usually, i'd agree with OP, but went to a relative's wedding last weekend..and it was really not that bad, they were pretty good at putting people with other people they knew, but didn't know super well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I find them boring mostly BUT of course both my wedding were fantastic and everyone had a marvelous time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I have never been to a wedding where I did not hate every second of it. The fake happiness of the other guests. A general sense of unease. Most people get wasted just to help them forget they are at a wedding.

I COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY HATE WEDDINGS.

How do you personally act at a wedding OurLadyofKnock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

What weddings to you go to? Generally I enjoy myself, dance a bit and when I was single occasionally (very) get laid. All the other guests seem to enjoy themselves usually too

Yeah - and now that your married you never get your Nat King Cole.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭MusicalMelody

I love them!! i want to go to looooaaadddsss! Dressing up, Having the craic, Dancing, Watching old people make fools of themselves because they get too drunk and end up puking/falling over :D!!! WHATS NOT TO LOVE!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I'm attending my ex's wedding in a few weeks. And also my friend's wedding.
    Actually, it's the same one, a small one. And I'm currently the only one without a date :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you go to anything intending to hate every minute of it, you will. Some of them can be dull & boring, particularly ones where I haven't been invited to bring a plus one and am going solo with a bunch of couples but overall they can be a fun outing. I'm usually happy for the couple :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It depends...
    Siblings weddings are great crack as everyone is on a buzz to the extent you don't notice or care there is anyone else there, (plate lickers).....
    Then going to a wedding where you know feck all people is great as you'll never see them again anyway, friends on her side and the like.. go mad!

Cousins and the like.... My blood runs cold and I feel sick ! Feckin relations at every corner, all ages and sizes and most I don't have any time for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

I can understand a small and meaningful reception with close family and friends at a modest cost. But these tacky big weddings - most of the women want now are just ego-based attention-desordered neuroisis coupled with damage control by inviting as many strangers as possible to try and make a profit.

Yeah, that's a really healthy mindset to start out in life as a couple...

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

Entirely depends on whether the bridesmaids put out or not imo.

Couples who send pics of bridesmaids with their wedding invitations get
    a) more reliable rsvp figures
    b) higher value presents the more ride-able the bridesmaids are.*

* The TRUTH about Weddings, p.4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

trying to pretend I am not bored off my ass looking at badly dressed ugly people getting wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Only been to one enjoyable wedding (afters actually), the rest have been crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Do not like, do not want. Smiley voided faces of people I don't know and have to mingle with. Relations I don't want to see or talk to. The most nefarious social dance you could perform, God knows who is related to who or what's going on with any of these people. And I don't dance. I don't dance.
    There's too much awkwardness for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Lots of wedding bashing threads on here lately and with good reason. I think there is a large section of Irish people in their late twenties or older, sick to death of them, yet there isin't really anybody/group you can blame.

We all have to go to too many weddings because weddings here tend to be very large, 200+ is a massive wedding yet it's kinda the norm for ireland.

The reason we have such so many big weddings is that couples are aware that you'll get reimbursed the money you spent when all the cards have been collected. I don't think people set out to make a killing but when it comes to making the list the err on the side of caution with friends/people they know, this way everybody ends up inviting everybody.

It's quiet simple the more people that have large weddings the more people you'll have at weddings that don't really wanna be there, it just can't happen. It doesn't matter how much effort you make or how much you spend on that special day, it's been done, people here are all weddinged out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i absolutely love weddings, have the 5th of 5 this year to come in a few weeks time.

they are a great day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

i absolutely love weddings, have the 5th of 5 this year to come in a few weeks time.

they are a great day out.
    How many have you gone to altogether over say the last 10 years ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Not a fan of the church bit, but I do like going to the receptions. Always enjoy the day out, the happy atmosphere, the food and the company. Don't know whats not to like tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Have my third wedding this year, next weekend. I'm really not a fan ofweddings,mainly because I'm quite shy and don't really like talking to strangers. I guess they are okay when you know a few people at them. On the whole, I just find them very long and very expensive, factor in accommodation, petrol,hair,dress,present,drinks etc, and you're easily spending €500 for one day.

The only part of the day I would genuinly like is the speeches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

if its a friends weding and all your mates are there its great,

a relatives wedding where you know no one and sit with the aunts and uncles is torture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I avoid weddings like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

In the last 5 yrs:
    My own wedding
    3 immediate family
    3 other halves immediate family
    7 friends
    6 other halves friends
    2 work
    1 cousin

23 and probably more in 5 years and in my lifetime before that another 3. Majority require staying in a hotel somewhere so yes their expensive but on the whole I love them. Not mad about one on a friday then travelling a few hours to get to the next one on the sat or I had 3 weekends in a row with a wedding but in general their a great day out.

It can be hard as you get older to keep in contact with all the people you would like to and weddings are the best way to get to meet up and have an excuse to spend money on a weekend away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I bloody LOVE them!

Been to probably about 25 in the past 3-4 years. Always have a great time at them.

I think the secret to enjoying weddings is to turn down invites to the weddings you don't want to go to. No one minds (including the bride and groom), and then you don't get 'wedding fatigue' or become bitter and twisted from being 'forced' to go to these events you're not interested in.

For some (like me) that means turning down one or two out of ten. For others (who hate weddings), it might mean turning down seven or eight out of ten. But either way, it means you only go to weddings you really want to be at. That's better for all involved. I'm sure you're not the jolliest person to be around on the day if you hate everything about it and then assume everyone else is 'faking' their enjoyment and really hating it too. (secret - they're not!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

bbam wrote: »
    Cousins and the like.... My blood runs cold and I feel sick ! Feckin relations at every corner, all ages and sizes and most I don't have any time for

people you haven't seen for years and for good reason.

Honestly I think if I ever got married I'd leg it to Vegas if I could.

trying to pretend I am not bored off my ass looking at badly dressed ugly people getting wasted.

So basically.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I only go to weddings when I want to be there - i.e. when I actually have a relationship of some sort in the real world with at least one of the people getting wed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Agricola wrote: »

Pathetic. Don't like weddings and the monotony and bullish!t that goes with them?? SINGLE!!*

I'm guessing you can't survive unless you do what society tells you to.

*Not single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I love weddings. What's not to like? Good food, surrounded by friends and/or family, decent music, and of course loads of booze! I've never yet had a bad time at a wedding. Then again, I only go to those ones where I know the bride or groom pretty well. Never understand people who insist on going to every single wedding they're invited to, and then complaining about weddings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Id rather a summons through the post than a wedding invite :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Hate them - avoid them like the plague

Also they are totally cliche. Its gotten to the point where a drunken elvis chapel wedding in Vegas is actually more romantic than a big church wedding with hotel/castle reception and all the wankery involved there.
    At least it makes for an interesting story!

• Advertisement
Advertisement