Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux/Apache/Oracle DB - dev setup?

Options
  • 31-08-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I know there are a few Oracle DB gurus in here, so I hope someone can give me some advice.

Got a college project to do, creating a web app, incorporating an Oracle DB. I've only covered MySQL so far, and a quick look at the Oracle web site is a bit off-putting!

I was hoping to develop the app from home, host it, and allow it to be tested by users in another country, but I don't think I can use the Oracle Express version to do this? It's only for local dev??

Any suggestions on how best to setup a dev environment, or how to host this for remote testing, would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: also, any suggestions for "easy to understand" learning material (books, video) would be very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

mrmac wrote: »
    I know there are a few Oracle DB gurus in here, so I hope someone can give me some advice.

Got a college project to do, creating a web app, incorporating an Oracle DB. I've only covered MySQL so far, and a quick look at the Oracle web site is a bit off-putting!

I was hoping to develop the app from home, host it, and allow it to be tested by users in another country, but I don't think I can use the Oracle Express version to do this? It's only for local dev??

Any suggestions on how best to setup a dev environment, or how to host this for remote testing, would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: also, any suggestions for "easy to understand" learning material (books, video) would be very welcome!

You might have to read the license terms, but I don't see why would couldn't do this.

As they say on http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/express-edition/overview/index.html

"[..] is free to develop, deploy, and distribute; fast to download; and simple to administer."

"Oracle Database XE can be installed on any size host machine with any number of CPUs (one database per machine), but XE will store up to 11GB of user data, use up to 1GB of memory, and use one CPU on the host machine."

In other words, if you hit 11 GB of data, start hitting the limits of 1 CPU or wish for Oracle to use more than 1GB of memory then you'll need to upgrade. Doesn't seem like these are limitations a typical college project will hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, Oracle can be quite intimidating.

However, Oracle Express is disturbingly easy to install and setup. It will run on a local machine with minimal resources.

Also look at Application Express. It's a full web-based dev environment for Oracle and runs on Oracle Express (as well as the full versions). It is possible to make some very Web 2.0 web apps with it. The learning curve isn't too steep.

I don't know how it will work with hosting - any hosting providers I have worked with don't typically offer Oracle as an option. However, Oracle do have an agreement with Amazon for their hosting options - I believe there is a free trial version available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

Don't know which version of Linux you're intending to use but I had an absolute nightmare trying to get Oracle XE 11g working on Ubuntu.

Eventually abandoned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

ermahgerd wrote: »
    Don't know which version of Linux you're intending to use but I had an absolute nightmare trying to get Oracle XE 11g working on Ubuntu.

Eventually abandoned it.

What set up did you end up using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

mrmac wrote: »
    What set up did you end up using?
    LAMP
    It was for a personal project so MYSQL sufficed.

However, I'd love to get Linux/Apache/Oracle up and running because Oracle DB is very very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I've been thinking of trying to get it setup using either CentOs or Fedora. Going to try to do this on an old PC to figure it out, and then I was thinking about getting a Cloud VPS for the hosting. Not cheap though!

/might see if the college can provide any VPS space????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Free-tier on EC2 might have enough resources for your needs.

Advertisement