Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The MOY. Hows it been for you

Options
  • 31-08-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Im a keen fisherman on the moy and have been for many a year and last year was my best year in awhile and im wondering hows it been for yourself these last few years.

Ive been fishing it for over 20years now and ive had alot of ups and downs over the years and this year has been one of the worst for me to say the least.

Im wondering why this is because last year was one of teh best and seeing as the drift nets were banned, i thought all the years would be good now but i guess not.

Ive seen the salmon jumping and again, they havent been like previous years and has anyone else noticed a decline in fish. I was chatting to a few other fishermen and only 1 has said he got a good run of catches at the start of the year but when the grilse ran, he didnt get as many as he thougth he would.

Most my fish were all caught up in foxford,cloongee and east mayo. Anytime i was up near ballina or attymass, i didnt even catch one.

Im hoping this is just abit of bad luck on my behalf and nothing todo with the river itself because id hate for it to decline in anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

fishy8881 wrote: »
    Im a keen fisherman on the moy and have been for many a year and last year was my best year in awhile and im wondering hows it been for yourself these last few years.

Ive been fishing it for over 20years now and ive had alot of ups and downs over the years and this year has been one of the worst for me to say the least.

Im wondering why this is because last year was one of teh best and seeing as the drift nets were banned, i thought all the years would be good now but i guess not.

Ive seen the salmon jumping and again, they havent been like previous years and has anyone else noticed a decline in fish. I was chatting to a few other fishermen and only 1 has said he got a good run of catches at the start of the year but when the grilse ran, he didnt get as many as he thougth he would.

Most my fish were all caught up in foxford,cloongee and east mayo. Anytime i was up near ballina or attymass, i didnt even catch one.

Im hoping this is just abit of bad luck on my behalf and nothing todo with the river itself because id hate for it to decline in anyway.

In my opinion its all to do with the weather, its being raining constantly since march, the fish don't stick around there basic instinct is to go up stream to the spawning beds, in either the lakes or streams in the mountains. Try changing tactics go away up the moy and i betcha you will catch fish. I know that the moy has loads of clubs so it might be difficult to just go up stream and fish. I have tryed ere in kerry recently with to good outcomes. it makes sense that there is not many fish being caught in ballina sure thats close to the sea the fish are gone in one tide. Its the same in the laune at the moment the fish are traveling up rive in a couple hours.

Another thing i have noticed from talking to anglers is that there will be another late run, watch the moy the last week of the season and see if there is a bigger number of fish showing!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I fish the Canal (Ballina Anglers) waters of the Moy, it has been a poor year for this stretch, every angler I have spoken with confirmed this, although upriver has been much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BP1980

Yea I agree the weather has had an impact, I normally do most my fishing Ballina end but have only managed one fish from there this year, fish seem to be all heading straight up river..hoping for an amazing finish to the season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I don't believe the weather has to do with any fishing
    I've caught fish in all types of weather
    The worst is when People say if it's too sunny you won't catch much as the fish will be deep and I've caught plenty it's bout the way I present my lure or bait
    I believe it's totally down to the angler
    A good angler knows what to use in all weather conditions and knows how to read the water by just looking at it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BP1980

I don't believe the weather has to do with any fishing
    I've caught fish in all types of weather
    The worst is when People say if it's too sunny you won't catch much as the fish will be deep and I've caught plenty it's bout the way I present my lure or bait
    I believe it's totally down to the angler
    A good angler knows what to use in all weather conditions and knows how to read the water by just looking at it

Good man..weather has no affect on any fishing :rolleyes:
    water levels...temperature..wind...light.. no impact on any fishing,...you'll have to PM me your tactics for ice fishing tench or for pulling pike out of the suck from 4 fields away in them lovely floods....op was talking about ballina, as with all salmon fisheries and many other forms of fishing, high/low water levels, poor water visibility, consistent above average rain or low water levels for extended periods, all have a huge affect on the fishes behavior! As will wind, temp, light in others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

BP1980 wrote: »
    Good man..weather has no affect on any fishing :rolleyes:
    water levels...temperature..wind...light.. no impact on any fishing,...you'll have to PM me your tactics for ice fishing tench or for pulling pike out of the suck from 4 fields away in them lovely floods....op was talking about ballina, as with all salmon fisheries and many other forms of fishing, high/low water levels, poor water visibility, consistent above average rain or low water levels for extended periods, all have a huge affect on the fishes behavior! As will wind, temp, light in others.

Excellent point weather has everything to do with fishing... but i do think the other lad had a good point too... a good fishermen will catch fish in all types of weather maybe not as much but will catch..

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hiho1967

Im just back from hill walking in county mayo and stopped at a bridge over the moy just outside foxford near the dublin road and i seen 2 men fishing. I got chatting and i asked them was the season not over to which they replied that "they fish it anytime they want because it doesnt get patroled much". I also noticed a sign say it was protected by CCTV but seems the sign is either a ploy to deter any poachers or the cameras werent working because noone came to move them. Seems strange because i always thought the moy was over run with bailiffs

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Inland Fisheries Ireland have a freefone number to enable members of the general public to report poaching and pollution incidences - 1890 34 74 24 or for easier recall 1890 FISH 24. This phone line is designed to encourage the reporting of incidences of illegal fishing, water pollution and invasive species.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Creteboom1

I think the main reason for the poor catches, in and around Ballina/Foxford, personally speaking, was the high water levels. From Whit weekend in June, there were fairly unprecedented high water levels on the moy, and as the general summer salmon runs begin normally around july, I think because the fish are normally in the bay around this time, they just ran, and ran, and ran. When this is the case, Ballina to Foxford generally fish poorly, but having said that, I know many who had a very good bag for the season. I believe the salmon stocks are improving overall, and as any 2 consecutive years are never the same, here's hoping for a dryish summer, at least one that might give us some low water levels for a change Hope you fill a bag in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Creteboom1

Chancers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement