Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did i kill hedge

Options
  • 31-08-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi i sowed a whithorn hedge in april out of the bag with root on them, they were about 1-1.5feet tall. I sprayed roundup at the base 2wks ago and i thought i was carefull but not enough. Some of the leaves are brown on some trees, does this mean there dead or could they come back when they grow again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,460 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Roundup kills the roots by taking in poison through the leaves. If you just caught one or two leaves you might get away with it, you need to get a good bit of the plant when you are trying to kill weeds.

Not a lot you can do about it at this stage except wait and see what happens. I wonder if it would help if you gave a foliar feed? I don't usually recommend feeding shrubs but it might help if the plant is a bit stressed, any thoughts on that anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Seaweed feed is supposed to be a great tonic. Cant hurt I guess. What about something high in Phosphorous to aid root development to balance any damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

if any of the active ingredient of roundup, glyphosate, got onto the leaves then it is going to kill off the plants leaves it touched and some of the roots. It would all depend on how much was absorbed. spray drift is a menace and you would normally need to protect the plants with a barrier of plastic or cardboard.

A seaweed foliar feed is like a vitamin injection rather than an anti venom.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,460 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oldtree wrote: »
    if any of the active ingredient of roundup, glyphosate, got onto the leaves then it is going to kill off the plants leaves it touched and some of the roots. It would all depend on how much was absorbed. spray drift is a menace and you would normally need to protect the plants with a barrier of plastic or cardboard.

A seaweed foliar feed is like a vitamin injection rather than an anti venom.

Er, yes oldtree, that's what we were saying!

I dont think taking a vitimin pill would help if you have been bitten by a black mamba, do you? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

im going to prune this hedge now,is now the time. hopefully it might come back in spring. there about 2ft tall so i was thinking of taking them back by half at least as they were not pruned when planted.

best left to mid winter, nov to feb, as if hedge still alive it will be preparing for winter now and is one of the two times Spring and Autumn that are not good to prune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

thanks, maybe il put up a photo of the hedge later.

Advertisement