Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm losing my mind!

• 31-08-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I need help, I feel like I'm making all the right moves but my depression is winning. I'm trying; I'm trying therapy and recently started anti-depressants. I read up everything possible on depression. I feel dead. I sleep alot, I try to exercise, to help me walking and that, but over the recent few weeks my epilepsy has taken a slight turn for the worst and new medication is causing me to have to physically slow down. I am also trying to battle an eating disorder.

Factually statistics show that people with epilepsy are more likely to develop depression than those without. And I guess worrying about an ED isn't helping. I'm anxious, lonely and depressed my self esteem is extremely low. I have been prone to depression for about 10 years now, I've had my better times, but it's always been there like a cloud, just waiting. I don't know if I can go on living like this. I guess I just need someone who can say I have felt like that and I beat it and now I'm living my life happily. Help me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'm moving the post to Personal Issues as Psychology isn't the forum for personal stuff.
    JC

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

First of all, with everything that you're dealing with, it's only understandable that you feel like you're about to lose your mind. I think a first good step would be to listen to your body and slow down a bit if that's what your epilepsy makes you do.

Battling an eating disorder is tough without the added stress of epilepsy and depression so please don't feel angry/guilty/sad that you can't work on everything at once, you need to break this down into smaller steps because it sounds like all of this is overwhelming you.

I think a first good step would be your GP. Tell him how you're feeling, that despite medication and therapy you feel like things are going downhill rapidly and see if there are other resources available to you. Are you going to counselling for your depression only or your eating disorder as well, as the latter one usually requires more specific treatment.

Whatever you do, don't battle this alone. Tell your friends, family how you feel so they can be off support to you. Make sure that your meds are compatible with one another and take things one at the time. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 moongal

Thank you for your reply. It is overwhelming at present. It's a very lonely illness although some of my friends know and have been fantastic I still feel alone in it. I don't worry for my epilepsy so much it's just the fact that it's forcing me to slow down is difficult because when I have to stay still, I have to think and worry and be guilty. It's like I was treading water but now that's been taken away so I've started to sink. I can't afford to see a specialsit to deal with the eating disorder as I'm not working so at the moment it's just a generalised therapist.

Just in a very dark place at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭jimbo79

moongal wrote: »
    I need help, I feel like I'm making all the right moves but my depression is winning. I'm trying; I'm trying therapy and recently started anti-depressants. I read up everything possible on depression. I feel dead. I sleep alot, I try to exercise, to help me walking and that, but over the recent few weeks my epilepsy has taken a slight turn for the worst and new medication is causing me to have to physically slow down. I am also trying to battle an eating disorder.

Factually statistics show that people with epilepsy are more likely to develop depression than those without. And I guess worrying about an ED isn't helping. I'm anxious, lonely and depressed my self esteem is extremely low. I have been prone to depression for about 10 years now, I've had my better times, but it's always been there like a cloud, just waiting. I don't know if I can go on living like this. I guess I just need someone who can say I have felt like that and I beat it and now I'm living my life happily. Help me.

it's very hard to give advice when it comes to depression, it can be very different for everyone, i have had bouts of it since i was 16, i took medication at first but felt that made me feel empty, so i decided to just accept it and keep an eye out for my early signs of a dose of it coming on, when im down i like been alone, i force myself to do things like climb a mountain or go for really long walks, i have always found this brings me back into good form or on the road to it anyway, i used to see it as a weakness but learning to cope with it has made me mentally very strong

ps. i'd never recommend anyone not to take medication some need people need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

First of all hello moongal, now I'm no expert on what you're going through and all I'm doing is trying to answer what you posted here in my own way, so let read what you first posted (I read up everything possible on depression) but yet before that you have (I feel like I'm making all the right moves but my depression is winning) now ask yourself one question "why is depression winning" and as for your epilepsy if your new medication is causing you to have to physically slow down then go back to your GP as soon as you can, and in fact copy what you have posted here and show this to your doctor.

Now I suggest you do something that make you feel good whether it writing or reading or watching a movie or even going for a walk but whatever you do, don't do or watch or read something that make you feel depress, and remember your thoughts are your they belong to you and no one else, so take control of them and if some depressing thoughts come into your head tell them to PISS OF, and like everything else moongal this is going to take time but your main thing now is to get rid of those depressing thoughts, and hopefully this will also help you with your epilepsy.

But remember, go back to your GP as soon as you can and whatever you do don't FECKING GIVE UP, and another thing if you do think you're losing your mind why don't you put it up on eBay and see if you can make some money on it, let me know if you do, and as the song goes my friend "Don't worry about a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!" ah, you have me singing now, so remember moongal, you're winning this battle, now smile, any good jokes.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    Thank you for your replies. Jimbo I'm very sorry that you also suffer bouts of depression, I understand how horrible it can be and coping with it can sometimes feel like you're trying to run up a downward going escalator, I am also glad you have found a method of coping that works for you and I hope one day you wave goodbye to this for good. I think at the moment I do need the medication for it with a view to get off it again in the future I hope.

And dogmax thanks for your reply, you're very funny. I will try not to give up. It just gets hard at times, it can be very frustrating. I keep trying to remember that depression is an illness it's not a character flaw. My GP knows eveything and appartently, come a few more weeks, my body will adjust to these new meds, they just cause nausea and dizziness in the begining.

Thank you for your replies, they mean a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

Now that more like it, so any good jokes. :D

Ok, I'll give you a good joke, but I have to admit I did not make this one up myself...

I got into a fight one time with really huge girl, she said "I'm guna mop the floor with your ugly face" I said "you'll be sorry"...she said "oh ya why" I replied "well you won't be able to get into the corners very well"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Folks,

The purpose of this forum is to offer advice - there is the PM function and lots of other forums for chat.

If you haven't already done so, please take the time to read the [URL=" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056181484"]forum rules[/URL] in the charter.

Many thanks.

As per site rules - if you wish to comment on/about this post, please do so ONLY via PM.

Advertisement