Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hugo Lloris - Our new No.1

Options
  • 31-08-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

French football expert Matt Spiro reports: "Fabien Barthez aside, French goalkeepers have rarely enjoyed success in England. But those who have watched Hugo Lloris consistently excelling for France and Lyon have no doubt he will be a big hit at Tottenham.

"A quiet character off the pitch, the former OGC Nice goalkeeper is unflappable and extremely assured on it. Lloris is brilliant on his line but also quick to advance for crosses and is not afraid to come out to play the 'sweeper' role - a quality Andre Villas Boas appreciates.

"The one question mark surrounds his size. Although tall at 6ft 2in, he has a slender build and some feel that might hinder him in the fast and physical Premier League. Chelsea's goalkeeping coach Christophe Lollichon expressed concerns last year, saying: 'The Premier League is different to the Champions League and other leagues. Lloris is too small for English football.'

"Lloris' talent is not in question, however, and like most people in France, I believe Spurs have just pulled off one of the coups of the summer."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

always liked him to be honest.

but while we are being honest i would rather a proven goalscore or creative midfielder at the min. brad is good for another year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The question really is when did he get a chance to do the interview and take the pics when we only signed him a half hoour ago :-P awful bright in London this time of night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

My only concern is that his form has dipped over the last 2 seasons,and our defence isn't excatly rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Nobody can replace Bradley.Nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Brad will be out number 1 for most of this season i would say.

LLoris needs to go to the gym , like de Gea.

A slender goalkeeper cannot be one of the top in the premiership becuase its so physical but with a bit of beefing up then he will hopefully be good

4 year contract for a 25 year old is very short though , especially when he is a goalie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mickman wrote: »

A slender goalkeeper cannot be one of the top in the premiership becuase its so physical but with a bit of beefing up then he will hopefully be good

4 year contract for a 25 year old is very short though , especially when he is a goalie

Disagree mate, he'll be a our regular keeper for the season from the International break onwards imo. Brad will play the cup games. You hardly think one of the most highly rated keepers in Europe is signing to sit on the bench ;)

No but when european keepers are just thrown into the premiership head on then they often come up short.

I think he should be brought on physically before making him number 1 .

Look at the difference between him and brad, brad would pick him up with one hand and eat him for his breakfast

No but when european keepers are just thrown into the premiership head on then they often come up short.

I think he should be brought on physically before making him number 1 .

Look at the difference between him and brad, brad would pick him up with one hand and eat him for his breakfast

:D we'll see mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Would bulking up not harm his agility and speed as a goalkeeper? Look how Agbonlahor went to shit after spending too much time with weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Brad can't be dropped after a display like today IMO.

KingdomYid wrote: »

He was exellent alright, but if Lloris is gonna be the keeper, he needs to be just put in, no point in messing around. Make the decision and stick with it I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

KingdomYid wrote: »
    +1 and his performances since's he's arrived. Rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Edwin Van Der Saar

Van ser Saar was much broader than loris

Seriously?

Lloris is like Neville Southall compared to VdS

ok then - u always know best :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

No he wasn't, they're both quite similar in build. Anyway, if Christopher Samba is attacking the same ball as him, it won't matter whether he is 13 stone or 17 stone!! I'd much rather a keeper that was ligher and more agile, while able to time his jumps properly so that he doesn't need to barge through people to catch the ball, rather than someone who has masses of physical strength and is great under the high ball, but suffers agility-wise.

Let's just wait and see how he gets on before suggesting he needs to fill out. De Gea was only 21 whereas Lloris is 25, which will help him too.

"SIZE DOESN'T MATTER";);)

De Gea, Gordon Banks, Shay Given...... Andy Goram? :D

• Advertisement

De Gea, Gordon Banks, Shay Given...... Andy Goram? :D

Iker Casillas has fared ok over the years against English teams.

You keep listening to your missus :D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Here Precious

He looked steady tonight , came and took a good few crosses. I reckon he'll be a super signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

He looked steady tonight , came and took a good few crosses. I reckon he'll be a super signing.

His distribution was great to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19678295

Barthez criticising Friedel, where does that even come close to acceptable behaviour. If you ask me Friedel is a better pro than Barthez ever was.

Epic win yesterday but the long balls to nowhere in the 2nd half invited a recurring wave of attack from United. Maybe with Adebayor on the pitch we could have challenged for more 50/50 balls however "Keeping the ball on the floor is key when retaining possession. It doesn’t guarantee it, but it stacks the odds in your favour. Brad made 17 passes. His accuracy percentage was a woeful 18%. Anders Lindegaard by contrast passed 13 times, his accuracy percentage was 85%. So 82% of the time Brad had the ball, he gave it to a bloke wearing a Manchester United shirt."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ya I would agree I think Brad could of done better for both goals yesterday but it worked out in the end I guess.

I would like to see more of Hugo though!

I'd play him on Thursday and again on Sunday, put him in he fcuk..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

He will be your best signing of the year in my opinion.

Advertisement