Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Olympics

• 31-08-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

After seeing the superb opening ceremony put on by London a month ago it got me thinking. If Ireland were ever to host an Olympic games, what should be in the opening ceremony?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Topless riverdance /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A re-enactment of the battle of the Bogside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

a theme pub & 4 hours of diddley diddley music

then Dana can be carried shoulder high by Boyzone and light the flame off a woodbine

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Bono making a speech on the plight of the third world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just 5 hours of Dáithí Ó Sé hitting on athletes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

A good catholic mass/ thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Des Cahill awkwardly MCing, starting by interviewing Dustin the turkey behind a cardboard podium in the middle of Croke Park, a Boston school's marching band, a young girl and a goat in a trailer being pulled around by a tractor, Paul Brady singing The Island, Des Bishop telling jokes about how Irish people and Americans are different, followed by an all-star rendition of The Hucklebuck perfomed by Crystal Swing, Brian McFadden and a specially-reformed Six.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

The Special Olympics were held in Dublin a number of years ago and the Opening Ceremony was bloody fantastic. So, there.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Alot better than the english one, at least ours would make sense to the rest of the world:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Alot better than the english one, at least ours would make sense to the rest of the world:D

Awwww, always having to compare yourself to England. Like a ginger stepchild in so many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

summerskin wrote: »
    Awwww, always having to compare yourself to England. Like a ginger stepchild in so many ways.
    Sorry to disappoint but was repling to the op who mentioned london:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭SystemsGuy

Sorry to disappoint but was repling to the op who mentioned london:rolleyes:
    I wasn't comparing ourselves to London. I used it as an example seeing as its the most recent Olympics. I could have used Beijing, Athens, Sydney, Atlanta,etc. whose opening ceremonies were just as superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

We'd win gold medals in 47 different types of GAA events, we won't tell anyone that the're apart of the Olympics until after the opening ceremony and we'll just make them up as we go along.
    The opening ceremony should be a Pogues concert.
    The closing ceremony should involve Eamon Dunphy giving a rambling drunken speech about ethics in sport for 4 hours that end with his tears extinguishing the Olympic flame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

SystemsGuy wrote: »
    After seeing the superb opening ceremony put on by London a month ago it got me thinking. If Ireland were ever to host an Olympic games, what should be in the opening ceremony?

nothing of any substance, mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A drinking session ending in rides and fights, followed by the next morning featuring massive guilt, fear, and hurried phone calls explaining heads on other peoples wives/husbands bosoms lap being just a drunken thing, bad form at the moment, won't happen a fourth time. Then rashers, eggs, coffee, quick shot of whiskey and orange juice and out the door for the first fag of the day and off to training.

Nodin wrote: »
    A drinking session ending in rides and fights, followed by the next morning featuring massive guilt, fear, and hurried phone calls explaining heads on other peoples wives/husbands bosoms lap being just a drunken thing, bad form at the moment, won't happen a fourth time. Then rashers, eggs, coffee, quick shot of whiskey and orange juice and out the door for the first fag of the day and off to training.

what a charmed life you live, Nodin.

Pantsface wrote: »

?

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You'll have to speak up!

Don't get what you mean at all. 'opening ceremony to irish olympics' is the theme of thread, and that was my take on it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

MadsL wrote: »
    You'll have to speak up!

Can you hear me now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It would be nothing but Gaa and jobs for the boys

What?

Don't get what you mean at all. 'opening ceremony to irish olympics' is the theme of thread, and that was my take on it....

You're quick enough to scorn anyone who dare's say a word against anyone who isn't Irish, yet pour scorn on your own?

What?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

There was an Irish version of the Olympic Games. The Tailteann Games took place in 1924, 1928 and 1932. http://www.theirishstory.com/2011/02/23/the-tailteann-games-1924-1936/#.UEE9YqOnKSo

You're quick enough to scorn anyone who dare's say a word against anyone who isn't Irish, yet pour scorn on your own?

O, you're being a snide fellow. Apologies for not getting it there, bit tired. I'd say you've a selective and limited knowledge of my posts.

By the way.....

...I'm not seeing an attempt at humour or satire. In fact that looks rather like self loathing nonsense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Croke Park;
    The President 'Michael D Higgins' opens the evening and the Dublin olympics with an address in Irish; The lights dim and the show begins;
    Que green spotlights > Hoards of man in leprechaun outfits holding up fake pints of Guinness while doing river dance for the first thirty minutes, simultaeniously a cast of hundreds (hairy red-haired unshaven men) ercet a full size cardboard replica of Newgrange while a giant Tayto bag 100ft wide slowly floats up into the sky from the centre of the park! Que Jedward doing a U2 medley with Sinead O'Connor on backing vocals dressed as a Priest while smoking a fag. Next up is the cast of the HSE and Crumlin Childrens hospital along with Mary Harney on lead vocals & (Mary Black rapping) the Fields of Athenry & Danny Boy to the beat of a Donegal bodhrán while the sick children lay in the beds bewildered while drinking Red Lemonade. Into the last hour now and a naked Michael O'Leary rides a blow-up Ryanair 747 on a high wire while shouting humerous abuse at a Gay Byrne double who sits astride an Aer Lingus 747 going in the opposite direction. The show then culminates with The Wolfe Tones belting out their greatest hit (whatever that is) followed by the sound of loud bangs and flashes outside the stadium. The End.

Everybody in the stadium is pissed, all 80 thousand of them, sick all over the toilets, fights brake out, & the last DART has just left the station :D

That is feckin QUALITY! Just what I was looking for! It's too late to bid for 2020 but 2024 is now on the cards!

• Advertisement

O, you're being a snide fellow. Apologies for not getting it there, bit tired. I'd say you've a selective and limited knowledge of my posts.

By the way.....

...I'm not seeing an attempt at humour or sat
    ire. In fact that looks rather like self loathing nonsense to me.

as you have clearly displayed yourself, :)

as you have clearly displayed yourself,

....dear o dear. My anti-irish credentials have been uncovered. O the horror of it all.......

....dear o dear. My anti-irish credentials have been uncovered. O the horror of it all.......

Hold tight. Someone will be on giving out about Foreign nationals soon, hold your fire :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Ginger stepchildren compare themselves to England???

I hope you're not talking about a nigerian family here, Nodin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What?

Speak up....ffs

• Advertisement

I hope you're not talking about a nigerian family here, Nodin.

Are you unable to distinguish humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Opening would be top quality I think, we can put on a good show. The only problem is that we don't have a proper 4 sided stadium worthy of opening the games and we sure as hell aren't going to be able to afford one in the near future.

Further problems would arise in our infrastructure. Also the red faced embarrassment when we win fcuk all medals in our home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

The London opening and closing ceremonies were mostly garbage. Ireland wouldn't have to try hard to do a much better job.

Advertisement