Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun oil

Options
  • 31-08-2012 10:23pm
    Subscribers Posts: 335 ✭✭

hi all just wanted to know what is the best oil for cleaning your gun and keeping the rust away . I was out shooting monday and the weather was bad so the gun was wet when i got home i dryed it and oiled down put it back in the safe and took it out tonight and the rust was starting to form on the barrel . I oiled it with berreta gun oil is there any better way to stop the rust,, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

+1 for Rem oil.

+1 for Hoppe's #9

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Here's a little test, not sure how scientific but its interesting.

I use Break Free CLP for protection of metal surfaces with continual excellent results over the years, no rust ever. http://www.break-free.com/

For cleaning the rifle bore, Hoppe's #9 will do just fine for most applications. Also gets out copper if you let it soak, comes out with pretty purple/blue patches. Many hi tech stuff out there, but this is cheaper and works.

After cleaning the bore, run patch coated with CLP for protection and storage. The patch may come out with some more black. If that bothers you just finish the cleaning with some patches of CLP and leave a coating in the barrel. CLP can also be used as the sole bore cleaner in a pinch. Its fine for shotguns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The black stuff is just carbon and no matter how much you clean if a gun has fired a right few rounds you're bound to always get some, even just after cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Rem-oil or Ballistol. I prefer the latter but either are excellent

http://www.ballistoluk.co.uk/

+1 for Ballistol, a biodegradable water based lubricant / oil with 1,000 uses, an all purpose miracle liquid. I use that too with great success, especially for cleaning my military surplus rifles shooting surplus ammo with corrosive primer compound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

EWQuinn wrote: »
    http://www.ballistoluk.co.uk/

+1 for Ballistol, a biodegradable water based lubricant / oil with 1,000 uses, an all purpose miracle liquid. I use that too with great success, especially for cleaning my military surplus rifles shooting surplus ammo with corrosive primer compound.

Do you still do the boiling water and funnel job the odd time ? Works a treat on modern stuff as well if you happen to get the barrel plugged with mud or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

Ive been using BRUNOX oil for a wile and find it keeps the rust away. Its about 7 euros a can, stakelums in thurles have it, probably in all gun shops have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

The oil is one thing but if you put it on when the gun is anyway wet it seals in the water and can cause rust. If your oiling do it when the gun is bone dry. I'm new to shooting but am third generation blacksmith!

Do you still do the boiling water and funnel job the odd time ? Works a treat on modern stuff as well if you happen to get the barrel plugged with mud or the likes.

Live in humid climate (when not in 50-year drought). When cleaning with water often got rust spots before drying it out. So I only use Ballistol or Black Powder Solvent for cleaning black powder or corrosive ammo, no rust even if not perfectly dried out.

+1 to the other gent about drying gun out. Sometimes get condensate on firearms, so have to ensure they are dry after cleaning session prior to applying protective oil, or prior to storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Ive been using BRUNOX oil for a wile and find it keeps the rust away. Its about 7 euros a can, stakelums in thurles have it, probably in all gun shops have it.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

+2 decent sized can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

My guns gets the 3in1 oil, think its 2 or 3 euro for it it Lidil and its a can of spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

4200fps wrote: »
    My guns gets the 3in1 oil, think its 2 or 3 euro for it it Lidil and its a can of spray.

I was always told by the father not to use 3 in 1 oil (the old pour can) Cant remember why,,

I use beretta spray oil

3 in 1 is a little too thin, not a great gun lubricant and less than ideal rust protection. Lots of choices listed in this thread, recommend go with something better designed for firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I do agree its too thin of oil for lubricating a gun but its a great oil to clean of any finger prints of the barrels. Thats all I use it for. Finger prints and blood ruin the bluing

Advertisement