Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding rings

Options
  • 31-08-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi

- I put deposit on our wedding rings about a year and half ago got receipt and prices of rings on it ,

- I went in start of this year paid some more money off they said price had gone up due to price of gold

-Went in today to pay balance and was told the price had gone up again

- Can they do this or can I do anything about this

This is a well known Jewellers

Thanks
    Nige

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Maybe; maybe not.

It depends on the agreement that you made with them. Do you have some written record of the deal you made?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A year and a half is a long time for a shop to hold stock for you. Or did they tell you your rings would be ordered for you closer to your collection date? I think thats an important factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

In the last 18 months the price of gold has gone up by about a third, so prices will have gone up accordingly.

As someone else said, the price shouldn't have moved if they were holding the rings, even if 18 months would be considered by most to be a long time to hold goods (unless a very substantial deposit had been paid relative to the price of the goods).

If the shop is only ordering the rings now, then obviously the cost will be higher. However, if this is the case then they should have advised you that this may happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nige

The only thing i have is a recipt no contract they were holding them and for us
    They never rang to say prices were going up or had gone up
    They never said we had to pay be a certain date and we told them the date of wedding .
    We would have paid them off if we had been contacted by them

• Advertisement

Does your receipt show the total price you are to pay?

Yeah it shows the price of the 2 rings and then total including vat

Then I would consider that is what you have to pay, tho my opinion isn't legal advice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

There's all kinds of issues here - Consumer legislation, Deposits, Commodity pricing - I'd be looking to get my money back and shop around or at least using the threat of that to leverage a lower price. That's just me not any sort of legal advice.

I will say that leaving money 'upfront' with any business for that length of time is bordering on madness! Savings are for banks or credit unions.

Got this sorted out ,

Got onto consumer affairs about it and they gave good advice , got the rings for the original price

Thanks for the replies

Nige

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

nige wrote: »
    Got this sorted out ,

Got onto consumer affairs about it and they gave good advice , got the rings for the original price

Thanks for the replies

Nige

Good man - thanks for the update.

How did you get the rings? Did you tell the seller you had been on to CA?

Advertisement