Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

provident athlone

Options
  • 31-08-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but i dont know where else to post it
    I was just wondering if anyone atall knows why the provident branch in athlone has not answered there phones all week as i applied for a loan that i really need last sunday and d when i heard nothing by tuesday i rang and have been ringing everyday since but yet noone is picking u,before someone says it yes im very aware of the interest rates any help sincerely appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but i dont know where else to post it
    I was just wondering if anyone atall knows why the provident branch in athlone has not answered there phones all week as i applied for a loan that i really need last sunday and d when i heard nothing by tuesday i rang and have been ringing everyday since but yet noone is picking u,before someone says it yes im very aware of the interest rates any help sincerely appreciated
    Dont no if its related as im in dublin but I have a loan with them and my agent never turned up this week to collect money and never rang to say why

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PrincessHolly

I rang the free could be related id advise u to pay by card though as u could go into arrears

Well actually in saying that the navan branch that i was mistakenly put through to today is open

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HITC

I had the same problem so I went to there address and it's not there anyone know where it's gone any Athlone agents on here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HITC

And also the number they have listed does not exist something dodgy going on here

• Advertisement

anybody else know anything ?

the address i have is 28 McCormick center castlemaine street Athlone anybody here to verify ?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

I know nothing about this company, but I was curious and went to their website. I presume this is the same firm.
    http://www.providentpersonalcredit.ie/

I see that they quote a representative APR of 157.3%. :eek:

If you have problems with debt, entering into a contract where you're going to pay 157% interest will only make the problems worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know nothing about this company, but I was curious and went to their website. I presume this is the same firm.
    http://www.providentpersonalcredit.ie/

I see that they quote a representative APR of 157.3%. :eek:

If you have problems with debt, entering into a contract where you're going to pay 157% interest will only make the problems worse.

The OP did finish off his/her first post with this which you may have missed....
    before someone says it yes im very aware of the interest rates any help sincerely appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Thanks. I did miss that line. Would still advise staying clear of this shower nonetheless.

Thanks. I did miss that line. Would still advise staying clear of this shower nonetheless.
    You only get that rate if your loan is over a year. For 6 months its 60%. They lend when banks wont. And treat their customers well. Its ok for you to say dont borrow from them but others myself included need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

PucaMama wrote: »
    You only get that rate if your loan is over a year. For 6 months its 60%. They lend when banks wont. And treat their customers well. Its ok for you to say dont borrow from them but others myself included need them.

60% over 6 months, even in simple terms is 120% interest. Also, Provident front load their interest...they charge 25 euro per hundred borrowed. If you miss a payment, they charge interest on the interest.

Try your local credit union, both Pucamama and the OP. Ok maybe this time nothing can be done, but open a credit union account, and try to save a few euro every week....if some emergency occurs in the future, your Credit Union might be able to help, and the interest is generally 9-12% per annum.

Anyone wrote: »
    60% over 6 months, even in simple terms is 120% interest. Also, Provident front load their interest...they charge 25 euro per hundred borrowed. If you miss a payment, they charge interest on the interest.

Try your local credit union, both Pucamama and the OP. Ok maybe this time nothing can be done, but open a credit union account, and try to save a few euro every week....if some emergency occurs in the future, your Credit Union might be able to help, and the interest is generally 9-12% per annum.

not true i didnt have the money one week and he just took the same amount next week. no extra interest. i hear every time about credit union. i dont have an account eith them. they are no good to me. i would have to save with them first. if i had the money to save i wouldnt be needing to borrow it. :mad: provident are there for people like us. not credit union/banks. im very happy with the service. dont see why they get so much of a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

PucaMama wrote: »
    not true i didnt have the money one week and he just took the same amount next week. no extra interest. i hear every time about credit union. i dont have an account eith them. they are no good to me. i would have to save with them first. if i had the money to save i wouldnt be needing to borrow it. :mad: provident are there for people like us. not credit union/banks. im very happy with the service. dont see why they get so much of a hard time.

Because they rip people off.

Seriously though Pucamama, try open a Credit Union account, I know you cant save right now, but even if you put a couple of euro in the account every week or two it will stand you good.

I know Provident generally deal in smaller amounts, so if you are talking about a loan of say 500 euro, you would need to have maybe 150-200 in the credit union account. To give you an idea of the interest you would save...500 from Provident would cost 125 euro, from what I know, they ask you to pay that back over 25 weeks, at say 25 per week. 500 from a Credit Union at 25 per week payments would cost aprox 10-12 euro total in interest.

Anyone wrote: »
    Because they rip people off.

Seriously though Pucamama, try open a Credit Union account, I know you cant save right now, but even if you put a couple of euro in the account every week or two it will stand you good.

I know Provident generally deal in smaller amounts, so if you are talking about a loan of say 500 euro, you would need to have maybe 150-200 in the credit union account. To give you an idea of the interest you would save...500 from Provident would cost 125 euro, from what I know, they ask you to pay that back over 25 weeks, at say 25 per week. 500 from a Credit Union at 25 per week payments would cost aprox 10-12 euro total in interest.

they realy dont. they give me a loan that i wouldnt get anywhere else with no credit checks. and im gratefull for it.

dont get me wrong i would save with credit union if i had the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Its unfair to make any comment on individual's circumstances on a forum.

Yes, they are expensive, but they also provide a service. And sometimes people need to take advantage of that service in order to steady things.

I would agree that opening a credit union account should be high on priorities - even if its a fiver every second week and then possibly in 6 months / 12 months they can become an option to you for a loan. But sometimes we need to crawl before we walk, but I would set myself a goal of credit union account if I ever needed the likes of provident. (thankfully I don't see that happening)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..and back on topic we go. This shower are borderline rip-off, but that isn't the point of the thread and it's not under discussion by the OP, is it?

Sorry only getting back now its been a week and a half since i applied still no loan
    I got through to the athlone office and was greeted by a rather horrible excuse for a person
    I have ever come across who told me that an agent will call in two days no sorry for the delay or anything i needed the money for food and rent and to answer a poster no im not in debt and if i could borrow from the credit union i wudnt need provident ( i realise that sounds condescending but dont know how to sound polite over the net sorry) anyway provident isnt as nice as the claim well in my experience anyway thanks for listening .

Advertisement