Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old power/telephone pole - want to move it

• 31-08-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I have an old power/telephone pole on my land (now garden.)
    Its old and unloved by the company who have since moved their lines off it to new poles many years ago without removing it so their loss is my gain :D so lets not have a debate about who owns it.

I want to move it to use it for mounting a satellite dish, antennas etc off

Anyone know if there are companies who have the plant equipment to just pull up the pole, move and push it back into the ground or is it more complicated than that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Technically it's not your pole to touch, but yes their is companies that have jcb's etc with pole grabs. Where are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

North Co.Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, I'd be fairly sure that if the cables have been removed, either ESB or eircom will be glad to leave it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

red sean wrote: »
    OP, I'd be fairly sure that if the cables have been removed, either ESB or eircom will be glad to leave it to you.

Super! Now, can you recommend someone who could pull it up and move it to another location within the same field?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A tractor or JCB with either a pole grab or else a double opening bucket on it.

Dig around the base of the pole,and then the JCB or tractor can lift it clean up out of the ground.

You could also just dig around the base of it and cut it out with a chainsaw,below ground level.

Fill the hole back in,and yoiu would never know the pole was there.

Then get 2 or 3 good strong lads to move the pole to its new position or else drag it there with a tow rope/heavy duty ratchet strap and a jeep or 4 x 4 car.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Super! Now, can you recommend someone who could pull it up and move it to another location within the same field?

They might even look for a fee to come back and remove it??;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

paddy147 wrote: »
    A tractor or JCB with either a pole grab or else a double opening bucket on it.

Dig around the base of the pole,and then the JCB or tractor can lift it clean up out of the ground.

You could also just dig around the base of it and cut it out with a chainsaw,below ground level.

Fill the hole back in,and yoiu would never know the pole was there.

Then get 2 or 3 good strong lads to move the pole to its new position or else drag it there with a tow rope/heavy duty ratchet strap and a jeep or 4 x 4 car.

Simples.

Paddy, I would'nt recommend the chainsaw route. (unless it's a hired one;)) The bottoms of those poles is usually saturated in creosote and makes sh1t of the chain!

Advertisement