Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone view their scripts yet?

• 31-08-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Just wondering how it went?
    Is it casual? Can you take breaks?
    Are you allowed calculators?
    Do you find out oral marks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Bit annoying! So much pen everywhere! :eek: Hurt my eyes!

Is it casual?
    Not really, everyone was fairly quiet!

Can you take breaks?
    You can i'd imagine!

Yes!

No! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

It went alright knowing where you got the marks or lost marks.

It was pretty casual in mine , but quiet . And yeah you're allowed to leave the room.

Yeah and mine even gave out a few there weren't many looking at papers anyway.

I didn't look at any which had the oral but you don't see it as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

It went alright knowing where you got the marks or lost marks.

It was pretty casual in mine , but quiet . And yeah you're allowed to leave the room.

Yeah and mine even gave out a few there weren't many looking at papers anyway.

I didn't look at any which had the oral but you don't see it as far as I know.

sounds good! :) how long did it take around? for each paper? or if you viewed all them how long did it take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    sounds good! :) how long did it take around? for each paper? or if you viewed all them how long did it take?

I only viewed four I'd say 30mins each I was finished at about 8pm :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I was in there until about half eight. It was really casual in mine. People were talking and catching up. I thought it would be much more intense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Really casual :) it wasnt silent in there but there wasn't talking between students just with their teachers! No phones! Ya could leave when ya wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    I was in there until about half eight. It was really casual in mine. People were talking and catching up. I thought it would be much more intense.

thanks for all your answers guys :)

i'm dying to see them haha.. did you view them in a hall or classroom? are there actual superintendents there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

thanks for all your answers guys :)

i'm dying to see them haha.. did you view them in a hall or classroom? are there actual superintendents there?

We viewed ours in the study hall (big room the size of 3 classrooms), there was a table on the way in with marking schemes, and you could go up and get whatever ones you wanted but there was also someone there to help you if you couldn't find the right one.

We got all our papers at once, and then we just waited until the teacher you asked to view it was free. There was a good few teachers hanging around asking what you're doing next year etc. etc. and asking if you want any help. I guess the teachers hanging around were supervisors but everything was really laid back. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jrmb

Mine was very informal. I didn't think I'd ever want to see those papers again but it is nice to see how it was all graded. There were a few places on language papers where I got a zero, X'd out to a 2 and then to a 5, which I thought was interesting :p

The signs say you can't have pens, pencils, phones or calculators but they didn't have a problem with me checking the sums with a calculator. They don't have the papers but you can look at one mark scheme at a time.

Unfortunately I'd need to gain 8% to turn one of my subjects into a pass so I haven't filed any appeals but it's still enlightening to take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

jrmb wrote: »
    Mine was very informal. I didn't think I'd ever want to see those papers again but it is nice to see how it was all graded. There were a few places on language papers where I got a zero, X'd out to a 2 and then to a 5, which I thought was interesting :p

The signs say you can't have pens, pencils, phones or calculators but they didn't have a problem with me checking the sums with a calculator. They don't have the papers but you can look at one mark scheme at a time.

Unfortunately I'd need to gain 8% to turn one of my subjects into a pass so I haven't filed any appeals but it's still enlightening to take a look.

Keep in mind that a pass for any LC subject is 38%, not 40 as most think. But you may already have known that and rendered my comment moot. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jrmb

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Keep in mind that a pass for any LC subject is 38%, not 40 as most think. But you may already have known that and rendered my comment moot. :P

Believe me - I had that in mind!! But thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Yep!
    I only had an hour though cos I was late, I didn't really mind.
    There was no marking schemes though which was pretty useless.
    I was just looking at a load of crap and now I'm even more confused wether I should appeal anything or not.
    I have a course I love and I wouldn't change it even if I went up in points for my first choice, so everyone is saying no point in appealing.
    But my principle was saying on a personal level if it's gonna annoy me in a few years to just go for it.
    Ahhh, I dunno.

biohaiid wrote: »
    Yep!
    I only had an hour though cos I was late, I didn't really mind.
    There was no marking schemes though which was pretty useless.
    I was just looking at a load of crap and now I'm even more confused wether I should appeal anything or not.
    I have a course I love and I wouldn't change it even if I went up in points for my first choice, so everyone is saying no point in appealing.
    But my principle was saying on a personal level if it's gonna annoy me in a few years to just go for it.
    Ahhh, I dunno.

Appeal If you feel you deserve the second chance at the grade. It could haunt you in years and be a regret if not. It could be an entry requirement for certain jobs. You never know. It's only 40 euro. And you may get it back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Appeal If you feel you deserve the second chance at the grade. It could haunt you in years and be a regret if not. It could be an entry requirement for certain jobs. You never know. It's only 40 euro. And you may get it back!

This.
    As your Principal says, it'll start getting in on you and you'll never know. At least if you appeal it, you find out one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'm a bit the same...my maths paper was laid out quite messily because I went back and redid questions that I got didn't get first time round. My marks were miscalculated and at the very least I'm 2 marks off a C2, probably have it because I only checked the one I knew I should have had full marks in.
    I don't know for sure but the exact points I got have been UCD's cutoff for my course's scholarship for the last few years, and I asked and they said they're still doing them this year, though I haven't seen anything about an increase or decrease in points. I can't imagine that I'd go down in maths but I'm not certain if I'd go up either, and even if it does it's just a C2. What would you guys do? I don't really like the idea of losing 40 euro over it, and also waiting for results again would be a pain.

spurious wrote: »
    This.
    As your Principal says, it'll start getting in on you and you'll never know. At least if you appeal it, you find out one way or another.

Theres 2 I wanna get appealed really.
    I'm not too worried but what are the chances I go down in points and lose my course?
    I'm 15 over as it is.
    Thing is, I'm thinking of a transfer of a course that's 510 and if I went down that wouldn't happen.

biohaiid wrote: »
    Theres 2 I wanna get appealed really.
    I'm not too worried but what are the chances I go down in points and lose my course?
    I'm 15 over as it is.
    Thing is, I'm thinking of a transfer of a course that's 510 and if I went down that wouldn't happen.

It's quite unlikely you'll go down, especially if you are borderline next grade. Also, the reason you're appealing is that you feel yourself that you deserve a higher grade, and logically, after seeing your paper, there shouldn't be any reason why you'd go down a grade.

I appealed them. Not really to go up in points but just for peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I put my recheck form carefully in the bin...it's time for me to move on. </3 :pac:

Advertisement