Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An example of why this country is Screwed

• 31-08-2012 11:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭

I was looking for a car part yesterday. I rang a few car breakers and got the usual response "Er, I'll have a look out back, and get back to you". Never heard anything (no surprise).

I then had a look on the net and came across a UK site. I filled in the request form (at 10:30pm). At 8:55am my mobile phone rang and it was a a guy from the UK, saying he had the part I wanted and to check my email. The price was also good (even with the crap exchange rate and posting).

You go to a breakers yard here and you will be greeted by a vicious Alsatian dog. :rolleyes:

I notice this all the time - far superior customer service from other EU countries, and especially the UK. The car part is just a small example.

I worked for an Irish plastics production company for 9 years, that made every possible building product available (PVC windows, land drainage, down-pipes). Probably the biggest in Munster. You wouldn't believe the quality control - absolutely shocking. Once a team of Germans visited, trying to sell us raw materials, and you could see the genuine shock in their faces of what was going on.

Okay, the major US companies here are well managed and profitable (and are here for the low corporation tax and nothing else), buts let's all pretend they're here for our education and skills.

The Irish can indeed be good workers when guided and trained probably. We just don't have the drive and know-how in this country. Something seriously missing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I notice this all the time - far superior customer service from other EU countries, and especially the UK.... The Irish can indeed be good workers when guided and trained probably.

hehe. How quaint, with the proper guidance and training the Irish could reach the jackpot and be as good as... the British, the very people whose state has lost around 1 billion tax-paying customers across the world since 1945. With customer service success like this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

He has a point. I work for a multinational but am shocked when I hear about the work ethic some Irish companies. It not par for the course but seems to effect certain industries here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Seanchai wrote: »
    hehe. How quaint, with the proper guidance and training the Irish could reach the jackpot and be as good as... the British, the very people whose state has lost around 1 billion tax-paying customers across the world since 1945. With customer service success like this....

Typical Nordie response ...the poster has got in a clean head shot in my opinion and is spot on in his observations.

In the case quoted the poster got on to a bored non motivated gimp who was not best pleased that his hole scratching exercise was interupted...or...heaven forbid that the poster rang at 4.35 and he was due to meet the lads in the pub at 5.

Happens all the time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Typical Nordie response ...the poster has got in a clean head shot in my opinion and is spot on in his observations.

In the case quoted the poster got on to a bored non motivated gimp who was not best pleased that his hole scratching exercise was interupted...or...heaven forbid that the poster rang at 4.35 and he was due to meet the lads in the pub at 5.

Happens all the time.....

....not that you'd generalise or wildly speculate or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Yes, the Irish government wants to get small (and big) business moving again and they want business to become more export oriented.
    But, as you have rightly pointed out - there is a serious problem with the level of professionalism shown by some Irish businesses.

I am talking here about a general sense of laziness, apathy and promises not kept. I have been dealing with UK companies for years. Always spot-on, always reliable. Always helpful if there is a hiccup with an order. In Ireland, not so. For example, if I email an Irish company about an inexpensive machine part. You will be lucky to get a response back. Email a UK company - you always get a speedy response back with a price and shipping cost. This makes it much easier and quicker to do business. Even with the exchange rate- who I am I more likely to order the €20000 equipment from?

If we try to export to other countries with this ethos in place - we will be in serious trouble and the "ah sure we're great craic anyway" excuse won't wash.

• Advertisement

Typical Nordie response... [blah, blah, blah]

?? Are you alright in the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Plenty of professional car breakers in Ireland who do ring back and are very well run businesses. Gerlan in Cork, Whelans in Portlaoise are just two that spring to mind.
    I hate it when people make sweeping statements like this. I've dealt with plenty crooks in the UK who seem to think you're fair game when they hear you're Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Or when you stand at the "customer service" counter of almost every Irish company, get ignored for 10 minutes, then asked "You ok?". Being a cnunt, I always answer "yeah, I'm fine, you ok?" then say nothing. The usual responce is a curt "how can I help you?" to which I usually reply "well that's a bit better". It gets me loved everywhere, but in fairness, customer care and standards here are absolutely beyond brutal. I laugh when I hear "such and such has gone into recievership" - yeah, because they treat their customers like shit. Big surprise. Brooks Thomas springs to mind, or Paperlink, or Chadwicks, or pretty much anyone else you'd like to mention. Customer is king??? Yeah right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Nonsense, just nonsense.

AngeGal wrote: »
    Nonsense, just nonsense.
    What is?

• Advertisement

jetsonx wrote: »
    But, as you have rightly pointed out - there is a serious problem with the level of professionalism shown by some Irish businesses.

True, very true, but these are usually ones which have very little competition in their industry or are dominant in a region. That's a different thing to saying the Irish people need to be trained and guided. The market is often not big enough to make it worthwhile for somebody to enter and challenge local dynasties and power structures.

The problem is the bad service which results from lack of competition, and British firms in Ireland are just as bad when it comes to screwing the public here - witness the prices charged by British firms like Argos in their stores in Dublin, compared to Newry. And so on. Competition, and not some innate national customer service ethic, shapes customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Sounds like a lot of companies need to hire me. I can kick people in the hole real good.

On topic OP. What did you do to change things in your job? Off topic, the local car parts place is very good up here. Never going to a breakers again. 90% of the time what you get is expensive crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

Plenty of professional car breakers in Ireland who do ring back and are very well run businesses. Gerlan in Cork, Whelans in Portlaoise are just two that spring to mind.
    I hate it when people make sweeping statements like this. I've dealt with plenty crooks in the UK who seem to think you're fair game when they hear you're Irish.

Gerlans don't even answer the phone. They're also closed on Wednesday and Saturday (the busiest day for breakers).

I'm from Cork and Gerlans are hardest to get in contact with.

No idea of Whelans. Doubt they'd phone me @ 8:55am (like the crowd in the UK) though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Nodin wrote: »
    ....not that you'd generalise or wildly speculate or anything.

A drinking session ending in rides and fights, followed by the next morning featuring massive guilt, fear, and hurried phone calls explaining heads on other peoples wives/husbands bosoms lap being just a drunken thing, bad form at the moment, won't happen a fourth time. Then rashers, eggs, coffee, quick shot of whiskey and orange juice and out the door for the first fag of the day and off to training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Agree with OP, too many big headed fukers who are still trying to live off the celtic tiger, thinking they have right to something or other, I think however we are starting to realise that value for money and a bit of manners are actually worth something and attitudes are starting to change

21/25

squod wrote: »
    On topic OP. What did you do to change things in your job?

Tried lots of things, but was too far down the ladder to make a difference or have a voice. No taking to them - a family run business and they thought they were the Ewing's from Dallas. The artificial property boom of ours had this effect on a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Great, another moany arsed thread complaining about why the country is screwed and how we're all stupid and lazy.

Just what we need in AH on a Friday night... some more poxy misery and gloom.

Whoop-de-fucking-dooh.

Tried lots of things, but was too far down the ladder to make a difference or have a voice. No taking to them - a family run business and they thought they were the Ewing's from Dallas. The artificial property boom of ours had this effect on a lot of people.

Know how that feels.

uch wrote: »
    Agree with OP, too many big headed fukers who are still trying to live off the celtic tiger, thinking they have right to something or other, I think however we are starting to realise that value for money and a bit of manners are actually worth something and attitudes are starting to change
    Feckin slowly though. I still seeth every time I go into a builders merchant, and I spend a fortune - god help the average punter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

have to agree with op, many smallish irish companies set up a website but never update it, never answer an e-mail, and never ring back, any uk company i have ever e-mailed have always answered and in general are very keen for business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

IRELAND; The only country where customer service is sacrificed in the pursuit of profit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I used source my computer parts from a large well known supplier in Germany with an Irish mirrored website (komplett)- complete farce as far as customer service was concerned, so then I switched to a well known French company with an Irish mirrored website (pixmania), again- a complete farce as far as customer service were concerned. Then through word of mouth I discovered a not so well known Irish supplier (elara) who have proven efficient, competitive, and their customer service is fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

thats good i would perfer to hear about positive stories than negative ones, but im sure you will agree they are the exception

Great, another moany arsed thread complaining about why the country is screwed and how we're all stupid and lazy.

Whoop-de-fucking-dooh.
    Start another uplifting one then. Jasus Star, you're getting to be a moaney drip lately tbf.

If this was a foreign country we were talking about someone would be on here pretending to be offended. I think Irish companies are better than the picture painted of them here so far.

Lots of people praise US companies that migrate here. I've yet to work in one of them that wasn't full of weirdos. That's my experience so far.

Support your local businesses please. Oh, and also please stop voting for quears, criminals and people who have never worked a day in their lives.

Good night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I used to work as a Project Engineer and would have had to source various components (pipes, pipe fittings, valves, motors, etc.) in Ireland and if needed in Europe.

There are some big name Irish companies that I found appalling but equally there were others that I would rank as the best for customer service (looking for quotes, spec sheets, etc) I found in Europe.

I did find it a bit hit and miss in the U.K. with what type of customer service you'd receive and similar in Europe. Some companies wee pretty good and others I never went to again.

I personally never found a trend for anyone one company to be honest. You just have to shop around til you find a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭padser12345

Pottler wrote: »
    Or when you stand at the "customer service" counter of almost every Irish company, get ignored for 10 minutes, then asked "You ok?". Being a cnunt, I always answer "yeah, I'm fine, you ok?" then say nothing. The usual responce is a curt "how can I help you?" to which I usually reply "well that's a bit better". It gets me loved everywhere, but in fairness, customer care and standards here are absolutely beyond brutal. I laugh when I hear "such and such has gone into recievership" - yeah, because they treat their customers like shit. Big surprise. Brooks Thomas springs to mind, or Paperlink, or Chadwicks, or pretty much anyone else you'd like to mention. Customer is king??? Yeah right.

That reminds me of all the times I go to the Chemist and ask for Solpadiene....the same lady always asks me: Now'...you do Know how to take these don't you?....And proceeds to tell me the dangers of codeine Etc.,Etc. , in a jobs worth type of fashion - for all the other customers to hear.

Over the years, I got a little tired of the same almost patronising rendition...and one day while suffering a bad tooth ache and asking for the Solpadiene' the same question was asked of me - in front of a load of customers....before she finished the question - I blurted.....YEAH! With a glass of water! Chuckles all round! She wasn't offended I think she got it! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Pottler wrote: »
    Start another uplifting one then. Jasus Star, you're getting to be a moaney drip lately tbf.

And by some of your more recent posts you're starting to sound like Bill Cullen.

I know which one I'd prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

dharn wrote: »
    thats good i would perfer to hear about positive stories than negative ones, but im sure you will agree they are the exception

Well I know plenty of Irish entrepreneurs who are self employed and are able to provide fantastic customer service, I myself am one of them, but through various networking events and seminars I've met others that are just as determined to retain their customers and form long-lasting relationships through excellent customer service as opposed to many multi-nationals that couldn't give a fiddlers about their customers and only care about extracting as much as they can from their wallets. Take a stroll around PC World and you'll see what I mean. They have to pay for those big glass windows somehow so they can see you coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Whoop-de-fucking-dooh.

Don't like, Don't post

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I'd definitely agree re: mechanics, especially independent ones. You walk in the door and you're already down €100, they charge premium rates for the parts and then a huge amount for labour, then add it all together and round it up. Before you know it you're handing over €500 for a small problem to be fixed.

The service industry seems to be a bit like this too. Very large amounts of money is expected to change hands for dinner and a few drinks or a room in a bog-standard hotel.

The pricing of a lot of things here is way out of line with the rest of the continent and there always seems to be a whiff of chancer around.

A lot of the time it's the very same small business people that will jump at the chance to go on RTE and whinge about how hard they've been hit by the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 joemcg18

Cowboys ted, a bunch of feckin cowboys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd correct that again to 'there are some very well run businesses'. I deal with them
    on a regular basis and the biggest majority of them are as described by the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

I agree that in some business they still think it is boom time but they won't survive with this type of thinking or pricing.
    I know a lot of people who are self employed, who price fairly for the type of job, service or product they provide. These people are working hard to keep there business going, keep on staff, pay the bills and keep the tax man happy.
    Meanwhile some people are charging very low prices for the same but are not paying suppliers or the tax man. I have known suppliers who due to a few non paying customers are lucky to be still in business.
    I have got items from companies in Ireland and outside Ireland. If I find a good place that I am happy with I will let other people know.
    The companies that will stay in business now are the ones who look after the customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I hear ya OP as I started an identical thread over in Motors not too long ago. I needed a handbrake cable for a 04 car. Rang around the Irish breakers and got lots of being put on hold and then being told we'll call you back. I ended up having to call them back. Eventually got 2 quotes, one for €55 the other €65 + delivery costs.

I gave up and put it up on www.partsgateway.co.uk , within 2 hours I had a number of emails from UK breakers and a call saying he could have it in the post by close of business. I ended up going with him, he was based in Norn Iron and charged me £12 for the part and £4 for postage. Unbelievable.

Since then I've gotten all parts from the UK and wouldn't even bother looking at the Irish based businesses due to bad experiences. I wouldn't say that about all industries in Ireland but I would about breakers- they come across to me here as ignorant and as if you're a tyre kicker who isn't serious about making a purchase. In the UK they want your money and go the extra mile to get it. But it doesn't bother me because the Irish breakers who are lazy or have bad or non-existent customer service will sooner or later go out of business as cheaper products are to be had elsewhere. I no longer ask my mechanic to get a part as he'll add a mark up just for handling the thing, I just get them myself for cheaper from the UK and have him do the labour. More and more people will see the value in this way of operating (plus the guarantee on 2nd hand parts- doubtful you'll get that from an Irish breaker) and import parts themselves. It's cheaper and quite easy to do and you don't have to deal with people who never get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭padser12345

This Country is surely pricing itself out of it...and the jobs that people can't normally do like fixing the Car is no exception!

You know that orange light that comes on with the little engine sign on it..it is linked to a sensor that has to do with the efficiency of the fuel being used (cat converter etc.)....the sensor is called a "lambda sensor". When one went recently on the car...asked mechanic for a price - he said €183 for the part and €30 for the Labour.......I went on to the web and you guessed it €43 posted from Drogheda, and fitted it myself within 15 min. and a little help from utube. It's just like a 'spark-plug' at the front of the engine!

Over pricing is rampant......it stops at the Internet for me!

RATM wrote: »
    I gave up and put it up on www.partsgateway.co.uk , within 2 hours I had a number of emails from UK breakers and a call saying he could have it in the post by close of business. I ended up going with him, he was based in Norn Iron and charged me £12 for the part and £4 for postage. Unbelievable. .

I used the same site. I couldn't believe it when one of them phoned me before 9am with a great price (even with overseas delivery and now the worst exchange rate ever).

A few UK dealers were fighting for £40 worth of business when I put up the request; but in the end I went with the guy that phoned me. Incredible, as not a single Irish dealer could be arsed getting back to me.

Thanks to all who agreed with me. I can't thank posts, as my own post count is too low. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Had a similar issue myself last week picking up some parts, was in touch with two places in Dublin and even though they couldn't help they were sound about Tina's rang back. Another place down the country actually answered the phone by saying "****ing phones". Was in touch with traynors up north and actually bought a part from them but won't be dealing with them again as they never let me know that the wing mirror I was buying was cracked and held together by masking tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Here's an example

Two slices of bread, buttered, one slice of ham - take away

Centra in Killeshandra Cavan €2.00

"Super"valu Cavan town €3.99 !!!!

That's why this country is fooked :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was looking for a car part yesterday. I rang a few car breakers and got the usual response "Er, I'll have a look out back, and get back to you". Never heard anything (no surprise).

I then had a look on the net and came across a UK site. I filled in the request form (at 10:30pm). At 8:55am my mobile phone rang and it was a a guy from the UK, saying he had the part I wanted and to check my email. The price was also good (even with the crap exchange rate and posting).

You go to a breakers yard here and you will be greeted by a vicious Alsatian dog. :rolleyes:

I notice this all the time - far superior customer service from other EU countries, and especially the UK. The car part is just a small example.

I worked for an Irish plastics production company for 9 years, that made every possible building product available (PVC windows, land drainage, down-pipes). Probably the biggest in Munster. You wouldn't believe the quality control - absolutely shocking. Once a team of Germans visited, trying to sell us raw materials, and you could see the genuine shock in their faces of what was going on.

Okay, the major US companies here are well managed and profitable (and are here for the low corporation tax and nothing else), buts let's all pretend they're here for our education and skills.

The Irish can indeed be good workers when guided and trained probably. We just don't have the drive and know-how in this country. Something seriously missing.

I went to a breakers yesterday, got to mooch round at my own convenience, got the 2 parts I was after and was charged €20. All the breakers in the UK I contacted before wanted £40-50 for one of the parts.

1 example why the UK is screwed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I went to a breakers yesterday, got to mooch round at my own convenience, got the 2 parts I was after and was charged €20. All the breakers in the UK I contacted before wanted £40-50 for one of the parts.
    It defo depends on where you go alright. On the car parts front, I almost never buy parts here. When you get charged more for a spurious third party part than an original you have to wonder. A while back I was looking to replace a few oily bits on my car. Rang around locally and the cheapest came to around the 300 quid mark. Independent motor factors, third party parts. The main dealers wanted around the 500 quid mark, not including VAT. Online? Got the lot for just over 100 quid, all original manufacturer parts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Here's an example

Two slices of bread, buttered, one slice of ham - take away

Centra in Killeshandra Cavan €2.00

"Super"valu Cavan town €3.99 !!!!

That's why this country is fooked :mad:

Super Valu are robbing bastards everywhere, and worse in the places where there is little competition. They generally locate in such small rural towns that are too small for the bigger operators. Tomas Garvey's Super Valu in the English town of "Dingle" being the most repulsive example I've ever seen. It makes Joe Doyle's Donnybrook Fair look like a charity shop. No wonder the Garvey family appears on lists of Ireland's richest families. The best thing that ever happened that backward robbing hole of a town is that Lidl arrived recently. The horrifying thing is that prices in Garveys now are supposed to be more competitive. I felt physically sick the last time I walked through that shop.

Thank God for the Germans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

Seanchai wrote: »
    Super Valu are robbing bastards everywhere, and worse in the places where there is little competition. They generally locate in such small rural towns that are too small for the bigger operators. Tomas Garvey's Super Valu in the English town of "Dingle" being the most repulsive example I've ever seen. It makes Joe Doyle's Donnybrook Fair look like a charity shop. No wonder the Garvey family appears on lists of Ireland's richest families. The best thing that ever happened that backward robbing hole of a town is that Lidl arrived recently. The horrifying thing is that prices in Garveys now are supposed to be more competitive. I felt physically sick the last time I walked through that shop.

Thank God for the Germans.

you wrote that in english, therefore you are an english man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Totally agree with OP. I was trying to get our chimney swept last winter because we couldn't light the fire without it. Me and the wife both work and I must have rang every chimney sweep in Dublin and asked if they could come after 5 or on a Saturday.
    Every one of them from the old men to the flashy professional companies said "ah no bud, don't usually work past half 4" and one of them lived about 300 metres from us.
    God forbid they'd miss an hour in the pub. You'd swear they didn't want the money. Bet you'd see the same ****ers on tv bitching "me business is going to the wall, I blame the gubberment!"
    I was actually scanning the phonebook looking for a chimney sweep with a foreign name because I knew they'd take the business but couldn't find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

i worked for a few Irish internet companies when i started working first. Then I moved to a large multinational. I was shocked by the difference in attitude. The multinational was incredibly professional and had an attitude that every single customer contact mattered. The Irish businesses had a "feck them" attitude towards unhappy customers.

To be honest it's not like Irish people can't do this properly. the fact that there are so many US based companies in Ireland is a sign that we are damn good workers/managers/etc... I think part of the problem is that in order to be good at something you need experience at it. And until the 70's we were very isolated with very few big businesses based here. That meant that our workers weren't exposed to the ethics that permeate other businesses.

The Celtic tiger saw many new start-up businesses being created. And a shocking number were dodgy shysters. And we see them in the news every day. But a large number were very professional. Most of them would have been people who were experienced professionals before they went independent. And they brought the skills and ethics they developed in industry to their new businesses.

It's sometimes said that one of the benefits we had from centuries of migration was that our young would go abroad but many would comeback with skills they learnt abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Gerlans don't even answer the phone. They're also closed on Wednesday and Saturday (the busiest day for breakers).

I'm from Cork and Gerlans are hardest to get in contact with.

No idea of Whelans. Doubt they'd phone me @ 8:55am (like the crowd in the UK) though.

Try ringing during opening hours......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

There are very good and also bad dismantlers here I would assume that this applied to other countries

And by some of your more recent posts you're starting to sound like Bill Cullen.

I know which one I'd prefer.
    Jasus, I'll do my best to stop immediatly. Harsh. Bill?? Jasus. As old Mammy Pottler used always say, first up, best dressed. And always mind the customer, customers king so he is, king I tell ya. Can I sell yis an apple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There are plenty of Irish companies that are extremely professional and win orders all over the world.

There are some unprofessional outfits everywhere. There were a few who didn't actually have to try very hard during the boom. The recession will sort the wheat from the chaff.

I wouldn't really rate UK customer service as universally y wonderful either. I've had pretty horrendous customer service from several UK outfits. I wouldn't blame it on their nationality though, they were just crap companies.

I'm really getting a bit tired of these kinds of threads that all (insert nationality) are (insert trait).

It's just lazy, sweeping generalisations.

as for the country being screwed, you'll find it was the speculative, non productive economy- banking and property investment that caused the crash. The vast majority of Irish companies actually continue to be pretty good at selling and exporting products and services.

As for scrapyard, they're far far bigger in the UK due to the scale of the population and the much bigger motor trade.

The other companies mentioned supplied property developers in a bubble... You'd hardly expect them to have had high standards as it was very much build then fast and cheaply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Such negativity

McDonalds source their beef here

Dawn Foods in Kildare won a 700 million euro contract to supply every Subway in Europe

The Irish can indeed be good workers when guided and trained probably. We just don't have the drive and know-how in this country.

You sound like a British administrator when Ireland was part of the Empire

• Advertisement
Advertisement