Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB laser didn't work in UAE atm machine

Options
  • 31-08-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My AIB Maestro laser card didn't work in a UAE atm machine. I arrived in Dubai a few hours ago and needed cash. The atm machine had the maestro symbol, and my account has plenty in it, so why would it not have worked? And what should I do to remedy the situation?

Had to use my visa card instead.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Just keep trying different banks ATMs. I had a similar problem in Kenya at Xmas with my NIB laser and it took trying about 5 different banks until i found one that worked. Was very stressful as i didn't have a visa on me...lesson learnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

ok, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I'd start with the British banks, HSBC, Lloyds and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Did you tell your bank you were going? Sometimes they block the card if its used in an unusual location without you notifying them of your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi guys,

My AIB Maestro laser card didn't work in a UAE atm machine. I arrived in Dubai a few hours ago and needed cash. The atm machine had the maestro symbol, and my account has plenty in it, so why would it not have worked? And what should I do to remedy the situation?

Had to use my visa card instead.

Thanks

Mine worked in Abu Dhabi airport. earlier in the year, a local bank, cannot remember which bank, so they can work in UAE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

Hi, yes, I informed AIB before I went. It's OK -- it works at other ATMs, so crisis averted. Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aren't Maestro (international) and Laser (Ireland) all about point of sale transactions being debited to your current account and shouldn't the OP have been looking for a Cirrus logo on the ATM instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

There is a note on the online banking about aib and the UAE I assume its something to do with that! Check it out

Advertisement