Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money not being taken when it SHOULD

Options
  • 01-09-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Right, does anyone else have this problem?

Say, for example, I'm shopping and I use my Laser to pay..
    Why doesn't the money come out of my account immediately?
    It comes about a few days later, which is really annoying because I check my balance and think I have more money than I really have.

I was told this would stop happening when the new Visa Debit's came out, but it hasn't!
    I received and activated my new Visa Debit the other day, went shopping, paid and two days later the supermarket transaction has been taken from my account.
    What is the cause of this?

It isn't only with the supermarket, it happens in several different places too.
    Also, I notice BOI is "allowing" me to take out money I don't have, then writing me snotty letters saying "this is the fourth time you have overdrawn".
    So, obviously I have an overdraft, but I NEVER asked for one.
    Are they just automatically put on to your account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PaulDalyRoI

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but whenever I do a transaction (ATM or in a shop), it shows up straight away on my account and that money is not available for me to spend a second time....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

money comes off the shadow instantly and shows on the account as DEBIT CARD. The funds are checked instantly. The retailer has three days to submit the payment. and then the narrative changes to the retailer name, it comes off the shadow and is applied. There are small overdrawn tolerances built into ATM withdrawals which will allow you to go slightly over. Always check your balance first, if you don't want this to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi fussyonion,

Overdraft facilities are not automatically added to customers' accounts; an application will need to be submitted. You can apply online, over the phone on 1890 365 100, or in your local branch.

Please be aware that when you use your debit card in retail outlets, even though we may have authorised the transaction at the time of the in-store payment, it is not posted to your account until the retailer fully processes the transaction. We would advise customers to take note of all your transactions and check your balance regularly by logging into www.365online.com, or using our self-service phone menu on 0818 365 365.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 32 happym

This is amazing, I searched for this and found it Nine effing years ago!
    This is 6/8/19 and I regularly have this happen. The current example is a payment made online on Thurs last, taken from account, receipted by company, ba k in my account on Fri, and still in my account today Tues. This means, I have to remember to subtract the sum when I chech account. 
    It happens especially when I pay motor tax online but with other payments as well. 
    No explanation can justify this carry on, but I'd be interested to hear.
    I'm very close to leaving BoI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I found these threads because my online app is a mess
    Checked today and it still hasn’t updated after BH weekend.
    It’s nothing to do with retailers because it doesn’t happen with other banking apps ..plus it’s a cash withdrawal from a BOI atm on Friday not retail pos that’s not showing on my account.
    Any sign of this getting sorted at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Hi Happym,[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Thank you for reaching out to us here.[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]When you make a purchase with a retailer they will usually pre-authorise the amount on your debit card. This debits the amount of the transaction and will show up as a "pending transaction". When the retailer fully completes the payment on their side they will release the pending payment and debit the completed amount. This means the payment is fully updated and complete.[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Over the weekend and particularly at Bank Holidays, some retailers will release a pending payment and debit the full amount after a day or two. This is how your balance increased on Friday and the transaction disappeared. When the merchant completes their bookkeeping they will reapply for the funds and it will complete on your Online Banking.[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Many thanks,[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Kat [/font]

There's a flaw in the system which is visible on bank holidays especially. The shadow only holds the transaction for 3 days and then deletes it. The retailer posting only arrives on Tuesday, when the bank is back open. It's a bad design, that other banks do differently

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

I have this exact same issue constantly. For example a visa debit transaction went through (Revolut top up so I know it went through) on Thursday and only showed back up on Tuesday.
    Spotify came out on 17/07 (receipt received) and yet only appeared on my 365 on Thursday last week.
    It’s beyond frustrating as each month I have to check off each DD on the day it’s due so I know it went out as it will more than likely disappear from 365online for a few days afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

Yep. I'm sick of it. My 365 online balance is rarely correct unless it's payday. The balance at the weekend could be anything. It's useless.
    This week Its cost me 15 euro in two charges for having yet another minus total on my account after the weekend. Then I get a letter in the post telling me how much more its going to cost me next time it happens. This keeps happening.

Is there no way in this day and age that I can log into 365 and see an accurate up to date account balance?

Hi G Shock,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

We appreciate all feedback and we will certainly raise your concerns regarding how transactions process on accounts.

We are currently developing our new mobile application which will have enhanced features and faster processing times. Please see this link for more information on our upcoming changes

https://bit.ly/2TmZtts

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Advertisement

The new app won't address the balance issue unfortunately. That would require a redesign of the databases. The new app will use existing systems, as is

Hi Ally Dick,

Thanks for coming back to us about this.

Our app development team are working hard to incorporate all feedback from our customers. I will certainly pass your concerns along.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

That's bad news. I'm afraid I'm going to have to close my boi account after 22yrs.

Advertisement