Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

charity to plant One Million Trees in One Day

• 01-09-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

see here for details.

http://www.onemilliontreesinoneday.com/index.html

My question is "what is the provenance of the native trees they intend to plant?", so I sent them an email... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 treefan

There is a thread for this in main farming section

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056729783

I did ask for it to be moved to forestry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

so did I too :D as news update:

"Their trees are all of certified native provenance grown in Ireland and from seed collected in Ireland. As far as possible they will be matching the trees to the most local sites to where the seed has been collected."

planting date in march 2013

blue5000 wonders where they are getting their Ash plants from, very topical!!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056729783&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

Hello to all Farmers and Smallholders,

First of all I want to say a huge thank you on behalf of the team to all of the farmers and smallholders who have applied to the One Million Trees in One Day project for trees over the last couple of months. There are about 1500 of you in all and we have been completely overwhelmed by the good will and enthusiasm that you have shown towards the project. A particular thank you to the people who have applied through the website on behalf of family members, friends and local people who do not use the internet, we are delighted to see this happening and hope that those of you who have done this can pass on these details to the applicants and let them know about this update.

The date for the planting of the trees will be announced soon. It will fall during March 2013 and we are just navigating between the various school holidays, St. Patrick's Day, Easter and a few other things to find the best day for the planting. Due to the very mild autumn we have had, up to about a week ago, the trees are not yet fully dormant for the winter and so cannot be lifted from the nursery. We hope that a March date will give us a bit of good enough weather and some precious extra hours of daylight.

Our team will be in touch in good time to arrange delivery of the trees to you. We will be setting up local networks for the delivery of trees from local distribution centres, anyone who would like to help us with the delivery of trees around their area can get in touch and we will make arrangements with you directly.

Almost all of you are managing the planting of the trees yourselves, however if anyone thinks that they will need any help on the day do please let us know so that we can arrange some volunteers to help you. The trees will be delivered up to a week in advance of the day of planting and we will provide detailed instructions on ground preparation, planting and long term maintenance of the different trees.

A note on fencing and tree guards: At the very beginning of the call for land, we offered the option of tree guards and / or fencing to farmers applying for trees. We had anticipated applications from only a small number of farmers, however, as we have had hundreds and hundreds of applications, we will only be able to provide tree guards for the trees and no fencing.

A note about the ash dieback that is affecting the UK and Ireland: We have had some enquiries asking whether we will still be planting ash. The ash dieback is currently thought to be limited only to trees that have been imported from europe and there are various detailed investigations being carried out into the status of the dieback in Ireland. All of the trees we will be using for One Million Trees in One Day are of native seed provenance meaning that they grown in Ireland from the seeds of Irish ash trees. At the moment this means that they are not likely to be affected and we are hopeful that this will remain the case. The trees are being watched carefully and our team is monitoring the situation in general to ensure that the trees remain clear and that we are happy to plant ash in March.

Any of you with friends, family or local community groups who would still like to apply for trees are very welcome to do so. We will be closing the call for land over the coming few weeks but for the moment the more the merrier and we won't turn anyone away.

Without every single one of you and your fields, hedges, boundaries, driveways, gardens, orchards, parks, hillsides and vegetable patches, this project would not exist. You are part of a very very large team of several thousand people who are going to make for a very large demonstration of the old saying that 'many hands make light work'.

As always, anyone with questions, please do get in touch either by email or on the phone. Keep an eye on our website, Facebook and Twitter pages for updates and news on the project and we will update you directly by email or by telephone on anything of importance.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Dates have been set for the planting. Friday 22nd March and Saturday 23rd March. Link; http://onemilliontreesinoneday.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Is ash off the menu now, or still under review?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Look, any reason to grow trees is a good one. Enough are getting chopped down by far right dudes who don't get our way, man.

Yesterday turned out to be one of the most difficult days we have yet had working on the project but also one of the most exciting and I hope that this update will give all of you the details you need to know for the moment. I will update all of you again shortly but for now we have a bit of news…

I was called to meetings yesterday regarding a paperwork delay on a couple of our flagship sites. This is a knock on effect of the Ash die-back disease which stopped a lot of paperwork processing and groundwork across the entire forestry industry and which almost stopped the One Million Trees in One Day project entirely back in the autumn. The team have fought hard since November to ensure that the project could continue, that we could supply enough trees without ash and that the project could still reach its targets and standards comfortably.

The paperwork delay involves unavoidable and mandatory clearing periods a bit like planning permissions and means that we must postpone planting until Saturday 27th April. We are disappointed that the paperwork was delayed entering the clearing periods due to general processing delays across the industry. The good news though is that these sites will be some of our most significant in terms of establishing native woodlands under ideal conditions and with access for the public both for the great planting event and for the future and we are absolutely determined to do them really really well.

This date technically falls outside the traditional planting season for native trees, however, we are extremely lucky to be working with nurseries who provide a cold storage facility for the trees. The million trees have been lifted from the ground and are now stored, fully dormant in their winter state, for later planting. This means that we can plant in April with no negative effect on the trees. This late planting of trees has become common practice across the industry with modern cold store use and our planned date change has the full support of our consultants across the industry as being the most practical alternative to delaying until next winter.

I realise that this will be a big change for some of you and it was certainly a difficult day here in the office given that the rest of project is ready to go for next week.

Having worked out a new date and telephoned through to the whole team to pass on the news, I received a call from the Global office for Earth Hour, which is an international initiative run by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) where about 1 billion people each year turn off their lights for an hour to save electricity and to reduce environmental impact.

They have asked One Million Trees in One Day to become a part of their “I Will If You Will” campaign which involves pledges from governments and organisations across the world to complete projects that benefit the environment and which inspire hope for the future. One Million Trees in One Day will be the biggest international pledge ever made through Earth Hour and will reach an audience of many millions across the globe. That this project has been created entirely by volunteers and brought all the way to the point of production by the people and communities of Ireland working together across every county makes it a remarkable story and one which leads Earth Hour to want to make it a high profile event. After what seemed like a terrible day for bad news, this cheered up the team no end and I hope it will cheer everyone up to see this huge project gain international exposure and recognition.

As next week was due to be the busiest in terms of raising awareness across Ireland and securing final donations to reach our funding targets, we will keep to this and aim to raise the profile of the project further and be sure that we raise all of the money needed to deliver every last tree. Your work locally has been so important to the project and I hope that you can all help to spread word of the change of date and indeed keep spreading the word about the project in general.

I realise that the change of plan will mean adjustments for everyone involved and I hope that in some cases the extra time will be a help to us. I will be out on the road as normal over the next few weeks visiting as many of you as I can and speaking to others of you on the phone to be sure that all preparations continue smoothly and that everyone has the support they need with their planting.

This project is made possible by all of you who are offering land and practical help to the project and without you it would literally not exist. Thank you for all that you have done to make this happen and looking forward to the last few weeks of organisation to get us to the final day of planting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Any update on this??? may not be getting emails?

Dear all,

I will be writing again to you all today to give out particular details of each of your orders and delivery times / collection places. We have a few last bits on local delivery points to arrange in the office today before we have all the details together to send you your order numbers and delivery details.

The first and most important thing is that everyone who receives this email replies to it by tomorrow, just with one word or two to confirm that you are ready to receive trees for the end of the week. We have been in close contact with plenty of you over the last weeks, but have struggled to contact others and before we release all the trees, we need to know that all orders are confirmed.

Every school, college, community group, farmer and landowner who has applied to us will receive trees to be delivered either on Thursday, Friday morning or in some cases Saturday morning for those of you only planting on Saturday. This is the good news. We are absolutely determined to get trees to all of you and to make the weekend a historic day of tree planting for the whole island.

As many of you have gathered, the last couple of months working on the project have not been easy. We have had huge delays on many aspects of the paperwork for the project. These delays have not just involved our larger woodlands but also many of our smaller sites and groups of trees. These were very much unforseen and we have worked hard to get much of it back on track from last months delay.

We have also continued with a funding gap which has been closed a good bit over the last few weeks but which looks unlikely to be fully closed to allow us to send out every last tree. So many people have been so kind with donations and we are sharing out trees in small packs to get to everyone and are spending 100% of the donations directly on buying trees. We have considered all options including cancelling and postponing again but the core team here feel it is better to go on with the event and get trees out in smaller numbers to you all.

This is a general update for you all and we will be emailing to each group and scheme for the project individually over the next few hours with specific details.

All orders for the full amounts of trees will stand and we will contact each group to re-arrange plans for the larger tree numbers being planted. I have worked on this for two years and am not going to walk away from it after all of the progress that has been made. I really hope that all of you who have been so good humoured and flexible will continue working with us to complete the project over time to reach the taget of a million trees and make it a great success.

Please reply briefly to this email to let us know you're ready to receive trees this week and looking forward to getting deliveries underway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hi everyone,

We are still working to fix up all local collection points. We have removed local distribution in order to spend every cent we have on trees for this weekend.
    Trees will arrive at their local collection points on Friday morning early and will be available for collection on Friday and Saturday all day.

We have stripped absolutely everything back to help the project to go ahead on a very small scale. Our funding situation has not held up and whilst we have had so many wonderful donations, we are still far short of our targets.

Tree numbers will be sent out to you with collection point details tomorrow morning. I realise that all of you have been waiting for details from us and are getting anxious. We will get these trees out to you, but you will all receive small starter packs to begin planting.

For those on the Farmers Scheme will be getting 10+ trees as a starter pack. Regarding applicants on the Landowner and Community Group Schemes, we have spoken to most of you over the last few weeks and have adjusted your tree numbers.

At this stage we are working to try to make a great community event that will involve a huge number of people taking part in one common mission. My team and I will work on over the coming weeks, months and years if necessary to reach our target of a million trees.

I hope that you will all understand the situation and I understand that some of you will not be very happy. All of our orders for trees will stand and we intend to get trees out to everyone on their full numbers. For now we will hope the weekend goes smoothy and re-group next week to work out a plan going forwards.

More details to follow on tree numbers and delivery points. Thanks so much to everyone I have spoken to today who have given encouragement to the team.

Imogen

• Advertisement

Hello all,

Your collection points are written here below. At an unreasonable time of night I realise... Order lists will be sent to each depot with each person's allocation of trees. You will find the exact tree numbers there but all please be prepared to receive only ten trees as a starter pack.

We have produced a very very basic skeleton distribution system and some of you are going to have to travel a little way to collect trees. From having to stop our local distribution we have today and yesterday pulled together a group of people who have been so incredibly generaous and have given their time and energy to helping us get through this without cancelling. It is not pretty and I am ready to take every bit of grief from any of you for any part of the recent near collapse of the project. The people giving out trees tomorrow are there out of the goodness of their hearts, so please don't give them any trouble. Aim your criticisms at me if you aim them anywhere... !

Please be sure to bring a carrier bag to transport your trees back to your site. Trees would have been individually packed but for simplicity and last minute distribution as donations have come in they are being transported in bulk.

The order points are below.
    Fruit trees have not been included and nor have willow or any of the less grown species that many of you already know are in short supply. All orders will be patched up later on once we get through the weekend.

We hope you all can manage with this plan. Any of you at all who would prefer to delay your planting until we are ready to get full numbers of trees to you, please let us know by email. You don't need to ring the collection points for this.

You can ring the collection points for directions.

I will be driving with the van across the country over the weekend sorting out additional numbers of trees for those of you who have made arrangements with us. My phone can't cope with too many calls as there are so many of you but do text me and I'll try to call back.

For the moment our ongoing plan is to re-group next week and see what we can do to move forward and secure funding to continue. We will keep working to the target of a million trees and every order made to us still stands.

Thank you all for bearing with us through such a long and drawn out process.
    Have loads of fun planting the trees and take loads of photos and we will be in touch to make the next and hopefully more smooth flowing plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Anyone get any trees on Friday or Saturday?
    I rang my local distribution guy but just got voicemail. Left messages and heard nothing back. Website not being updated with any info.
    Seems like the whole thing is an absolute shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Picked up some of the trees on Saturday morning, as per the email. The girl doing the distributing was just another volunteer who was going above and beyond, by being a distribution centre for two counties. I had tried to call her to confirm it was ok to call, but her phone was engaged the few times I tried. She was being inundated with calls from people who were collecting trees.
    I just went to the address Saturday morning, as per the email, and collected some of the trees. She had a spreadsheet with lists of who was supposed to be collecting what. There were a few people there before me, so I was just chatting while waiting. Apparently she had queues of people there for a lot of Friday. She did say that everyone was being incredibly nice and understanding and not put out by the changes at all. I think everyone involved, especially all the volunteers who organised the project and the distribution, deserve a lot of credit and praise for what they are trying to achieve and what has been achieved already.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Picked up some of the trees on Saturday morning, as per the email. The girl doing the distributing was just another volunteer who was going above and beyond, by being a distribution centre for two counties. I had tried to call her to confirm it was ok to call, but her phone was engaged the few times I tried. She was being inundated with calls from people who were collecting trees.
    I just went to the address Saturday morning, as per the email, and collected some of the trees. She had a spreadsheet with lists of who was supposed to be collecting what. There were a few people there before me, so I was just chatting while waiting. Apparently she had queues of people there for a lot of Friday. She did say that everyone was being incredibly nice and understanding and not put out by the changes at all. I think everyone involved, especially all the volunteers who organised the project and the distribution, deserve a lot of credit and praise for what they are trying to achieve and what has been achieved already.

Good to hear you got sorted. My local distribution point address was a country area. I rang a few people from there and no one knew the contact person. I even drove to the village and asked a few locals and none of them knew him!

Here's the latest update....

Update for all farmers and landowners:

First of all a huge thank you to everyone who took part in the planting over the weekend. All across the island trees were collected and planted and we made a great start to the planting of a million trees. The community spirit, good will and good humour from so many of you helped us to keep going through a difficult few days…. Thank you.

You will all know that things haven’t run to plan on many levels and for the next few days the team is re-grouping and working to fix up everyone who applied for trees with a plan going forward for the project. We are committed to planting a million trees and to fixing the problems that have occurred the last few days and weeks with funding and logistics.

We will send further updates but for now please do email into us with details of any missing trees or incomplete planting. We have a good idea of who got what and are finalising the tree count and plans to get some more trees out as soon as possible.

Please don’t contact the local delivery points for the moment but email to us directly instead.

Many of you emailed in to delay planting which we have taken note of. Those of you who telephoned in and didn’t get through, please do drop us an email so that we have your details if you were asking to delay for the next round of planting.

On many levels this weekend was a great success and we hope that having done what amounted to a first trial run, that we can learn from and fix our mistakes and deliver a smoother ongoing project. Many people have come forward offering ongoing help to us with deliveries and other things. Thank you to all of you; we’ll be in touch and are grateful for all offers of help over the coming weeks.

Thanks to all of you who have offered support and kind words

The 3 main sources of funding pulled out at the last minute. It was through great effort of the OMT team and all the people involved that almost 150,000 trees were planted last.

I would encourage people to volunteer instead of bitching !

I have no doubt that what the team learned this year will be put to good use next year.

Well done to all involved in this project.

Slates wrote: »
    The 3 main sources of funding pulled out at the last minute. It was through great effort of the OMT team and all the people involved that almost 150,000 trees were planted last.

I have no doubt that what the team learned this year will be put to good use next year.

And just to add, if everyone would donate just €3 it would see the project completed. Text "Donate Trees" to 57777.

Slates wrote: »

Since no one appears to be answering emails and you appear to have some inside knowledge maybe you might be so kind as to reply...

Who were the 3 main sources of funding?
    Why did they pull out at the last minute?
    Why were we not informed of this?
    Why were we only informed of reduced tree numbers the night before planting was to begin and all ground etc had been prepared?
    Where are the other 750,000 trees?
    Who is managing the finances of this?
    People donated assuming 1 million trees would be planted, will they be getting a refund?
    What is the 'funding' shortfall? Judging on numbers planted I'd guess 85%?

'We' volunteered our land for planting and made a considerable donation on the premise that we would receive the quantity of trees requested.
    Now we have no trees, no finance to purchase elsewhere and it's too late to plant even if we did. Yes well done to all involved, a resounding success.

Hello, this is an update for everyone - farmers, smallholders, schools, colleges, landowners and community groups,

After a few days of re-grouping I am writing to give all of you a quick update.

We have planted just over 100,000 trees so far across all 32 counties. We still have a long way to go but the team are all willing to keep working at this until we have funded, distributed and planted every last tree. We have circulated various updates to you in your different groups and I have spoken to a huge number of you individually. I will keep working on individual contact over the coming days but in the meantime you'll find brief updates for each type of planting here below.

Starter packs and completed planting: Most of you managed to collect your small packs of trees and make a start to planting and many of you taking small numbers of trees have completed your planting. Please do send in photos of your trees and planting or any stories or anecdotes; there was so much going on over the planting weekend and we hope to catch up with everyone to get all of the details.
    Fruit and nut trees and rarer species: We are working to source as many of the species that are either in short supply or which are more expensive to buy. For the moment we are sticking with trees that we have readily available; mostly oak, scot's pine, mountain ash, willow, birch, whitethorn, alder and blackthorn. All orders for fruit and nut trees still stand but will be delayed until we have full funding.
    Delayed planting: We have a note of everyone who wrote in to delay planting until the full numbers of trees are available and we will update all of you separately with details of funding progress and plans going forward.
    Schools and Colleges: All schools and colleges have been updated separately, do please write in reply to our last update if you haven't already and thank you to all of you who have sent in photos.
    Small numbers of trees: Everyone taking very small numbers of trees up to 16 trees has been updated separately, again please do write in reply to that update as necessary and again thanks for the photos you have sent already.
    Tree numbers between 15 and 200 - Farmers and Smallholders Scheme: Most of you have started planting with starter packs. We are working through updating all of you over the coming days regarding fulfilling your full orders. Those of you who have emailed in, we are working through individual responses as quickly as possible. I am seeking funding for all of you as one group and I hope that this funding coupled with more recent donations will allow us to distribute the full number of trees to you all either this side of July whilst trees are still available or in the autumn when the next planting season begins.
    Community groups: I have spoken with most of you individually and we are working through responses to your emails as well. Many of you completed or made a start to your planting and thank you to all who have sent in photos.
    Agro-forestry, coppice and permaculture woodlands: I have spoken to most of you and hope to speak again about further details next week.
    Small woodland sites with or without grant aid - 0.5 to 5 acres: I have spoken to almost all of you individually, we will circulate more details as we go forwards with plans and funding for you.
    Larger woodland establishment sites, grant aided sites and woodland restoration sites - 5 acres plus: I have spoken to most of you individually and will keep you all updated on progress over the next week.
    All of you as individuals and as groups taking part are equally important to the project and I will be working to find additional and much needed funding for all areas of the project to add to the steady stream of incredibly generous donations coming in. Whilst it is not traditional, if funding is secured in time, we can continue to distribute trees until July as they are in cold storage and quite safe for late planting. Otherwise we aim to finish raising funds between now and the autumn and to release all remaining trees net planting season.

I will not leave this project unfinished, however long and difficult the process becomes. I and the team have learned many lessons from this pilot project and we aim to fix the parts that haven't worked so well and to improve the project in all areas. Finding full funding is our main priority form here on in. Thank you to everyone offering support, encouragement and help to us and please do email in with any queries, stories or photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Pat McArdle

I got the following email this morning:

Hello to all schools, colleges, farmers, smallholders, landowners and community groups,

I would like to quickly wish everyone involved with the One Million Trees in One Day project a very Happy New Year.

2013 has been a wonderful year with some very difficult times mixed in for the One Million Trees in One Day project.
    The team has worked incredibly hard and all of the landowners and other helpers involved have been extremely patient and supportive through a run of teething problems. I want to thank you all for your encouragement and help during 2013.

We have made significant progress with funding during the later part of 2013 and will be sending out updates in January to put everyone fully in the picture. It looks like after a bit of a wait, things will move forwards more smoothly and a lot of trees will be planted in 2014.

All the very best for 2014 to all of you.

Imogen and the One Million Trees in One Day team

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Pat McArdle

I got the following email towards the end of last week. I hope it happens for them this time.

Hello to all schools, colleges, farmers, smallholders, landowners and community groups,

This is a group email to all of you - more detailed emails to follow to individual planting groups and schemes. After a long wait and a lot of nail biting I can report that we have raised enough funding to get the project moving this planting season and to distribute trees during the first week of March for planting on Saturday 8th March. We have been in touch with many of you but those of you who have not yet been contacted will receive a call or email next week to confirm planting details.

We are working from basic numbers of trees right now to ensure that everyone is able to receive tree packs. We will confirm tree numbers for each of you next week. In many cases these may not be the full number of trees you originally ordered, but we will do our best with numbers all round.

It has been a long and tense wait, but I hope that this is good news for everyone.

Imogen and the One Million Trees in One Day team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'm on the waiting list but TBH I'm a bit sick of them..
    They won't answer emails or messages on facebook... every now and then you get these sporadic messages about things being on track, leading you along and then no communication... its bordering on absurd.
    I made an offer to pay half the price of the trees and still no reply !

I hope it happens but I wouldn't be holding my breath !

bbam wrote: »
    I'm on the waiting list but TBH I'm a bit sick of them..
    They won't answer emails or messages on facebook... every now and then you get these sporadic messages about things being on track, leading you along and then no communication... its bordering on absurd.
    I made an offer to pay half the price of the trees and still no reply !

I hope it happens but I wouldn't be holding my breath !

They had the best of intentions I suppose, I think they were overwhelmed with the requests! They should have made groups contribute 50% of the cost of the trees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I wonder how many trees the storms took out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

I wonder how many trees the storms took out?

Almost none I'd imagine. They were only whips.

Hello to Everyone taking part in Saturday's planting,

Thanks so much to all of you for your emails confirming that you would like to take part this year. There are tree allocations made up for all of you and the trees are now on their way to the collection points.

We have 40 collection points set up so far and I will publish them tomorrow to you all. I have had a few short delays and there are gaps for collections which I'd be grateful if anyone would like to volunteer for. If these are not filled with collections, we have helpers who can make mobile collections at these gaps, so don't panic! I have attempted to get all collections within half an hour of you all or as close as possible. The gaps are:

North Cork / Limerick
    South Kerry
    Near to Cork City
    East Co. Galway / Galway City
    Offaly
    East Co. Sligo
    West Cavan / Leitrim
    Donegal

Tree Numbers:
    Anyone who ordered up to 50 trees - you will receive the remaining trees from your original order. A huge number of you fall into this category
    Those of you with larger orders of over 50 trees - I have allocated trees to you in sets of 50 and 100 with a focus on getting you all started with your planting.
    You will all get final details of your individual tree numbers with your collection points.
    I have still not managed to get to talk to you each individually but I hope you will all be pleased with your tree packs and that you will have a lot of fun planting them. As ever we are doing this on a shoestring with almost 100% of funding being spent on trees. We are trying to keep it simple and fair to all landowners and have shared out the trees we can buy between you as best we can.

Tree Species:

This year, as with last year, we have been tightly restricted by the native species available to buy in large quantities. It is a sad sign that so few places grow a broad range of native species in commercial quantities. There is virtually no native oak available due to a poor year for acorns a couple of years back. We have no ash again due to restrictions on account of the ash die-back disease. Other less grown species are almost impossible to find in large quantities and so we are keeping the species list very simple. The tree packs are made up of birch, alder, Scot's pine, whitethorn and mountain ash. These are a good, hardy mix and we have have allocated as close as we can to your original requests and as appropriate to your site. Many of you have asked for non native species which we cannot provide and we are also extremely short on fruit trees.

After this planting is completed I will continue fundraising for this initiative until we are set to do it all over again. I am using as much material from this 8th March planting as possible to seek further funding, so I'd be really grateful if you could all take plenty of photos on the day and send them in to us.

I am looking forward to Saturday and it is great to see trees on the move again. Please do let me know if any of you would like to help out as collections at the gaps listed above.
    Best regards,
    Imogen

Good Morning everyone

Thank you so much to everyone who has offered last minute help with collection points and moving trees. Everything is now in place and we have all of the collection points we can manage.

I am still rolling out details to you all so don't panic if you haven't yet received you collection points or tree numbers. I am working through the last few as quickly as I can.

In the meantime, I am attaching a video HERE which gives a demonstration of how to plant a tree. The trees you will be receiving are bare rooted and between a foot and 3 feet in height. Please ensure that tree roots do not dry out between collecting and planting them.

I will send an update to you all again when all collections and tree numbers have been announced.

Best regards,
    Imogen

Advertisement