Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you feel a difference between North and South?

• 01-09-2012 12:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭

Me for one. Land much better on your drive up North

My gran always said, they took the best land, and left Donegal

Well...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

This will end well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Poles apart if you ask me....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Pantsface wrote: »
    Do you feel a difference between North and South?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The roads are better in the South.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

they really aren't :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Traffic lights that go amber for taking off as well as stopping.
    I dunno why we don't do it down here, makes so much sense.

Sauve wrote: »
    Traffic lights that go amber for taking off as well as stopping.
    I dunno why we don't do it down here, makes so much sense.

They love orange up North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

They love orange up North.

You'll go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

we talking landscape here? yeah, it's (roads, gardens etc) tidier up north. right, lock thread now, save the trees etc.

Well .. euros and sterling feel different.. if that counts ..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I go up a lot and I don't feel a difference apart from a few cosmetic things like different coloured road signs. They drive smaller cars and keep them cleaner than most down here. As far as the people go, I mostly go to Derry and they just feel like a more urban version of Donegal people if that makes sense. I feel a much bigger difference driving to Cork :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's about time those feckin penguins bowed to their natural masters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

One side of the border they shop in Tesco, Marks and Spencer, Top Shop, Argos, etc, support teams like Man Utd or Liverpool, watch ITV/BBC and read the Daily Mail. On the other side they are part of the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's about time those feckin penguins bowed to their natural masters

PENGUINS BOW TO NO ONE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Maybe in the 80s the roads were better in the North, but now we're streets ahead (Pun definitely intended) down here. Except in Clare, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

The main thing for me is the accent.

Maybe in the 80s the roads were better in the North, but now we're streets ahead (Pun definitely intended) down here. Except in Clare, maybe.

Have you driven Dublin to Belfast recently? Was a passenger, so could be wrong...

The main thing for me is the accent.

Dramadoll its like talking to a smothered barbie

Have you driven Dublin to Belfast recently? Was a passenger, so could be wrong...

In fairness, the Dublin to Belfast road is hardly representative of the entire road network in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Its gets colder up North in the winter. The traffic light sequence is different, they have have sterling, we have the Euro . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭wintersolstice

chalk and cheese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Our roads ain't got sh1t on Frances though, well behind in comparison but that's another story.

In fairness, the Dublin to Belfast road is hardly representative of the entire road network in NI.

true

where else do they meet?

flyswatter wrote: »
    Our roads ain't got sh1t on Frances though, well behind in comparison but that's another story.

same with our men

but do you hear me giving out?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

We're all from the same Island, whats the problem

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I suffer from cultural shock every time I cross the imaginary line.

uch wrote: »
    We're all from the same Island, whats the problem

roads, attitude & c0ck dude :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Apart from northern Ireland's two motorways the roads in the south are much better. NI haven't upgraded any of their primary or regional roads in 50yrs. If you get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle in the north then that's it, your stuck there, the road surfaces may be good, the road layouts are pure ****e.

Northern Ireland and in particular Belfast have piss poor road signage. Belfast is a nightmare unless you actually know where your going, it's the one city I absolutely hate driving in despite the fact I've been there countless times.

I will however concede to their traffic light sequence. Theyre much more effective and work better than the lights down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I work up there every month or so and I can't relax. They are worlds apart for me. Especially driving through areas with union jacks flying everywhere and kerbs painted. Crossing the borders alot years ago (Mothers from Leitrim so we went up alot) I still see it as 'not the south' so maybe thats why.

Their landscape is nicer/different because they have nice broad leaf trees and woods, we just got ****ty hedges and those ugly giant christmas trees that Coailte covered the place with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Class is a bigger deal up north.
    It's more conservative and religion is more of a big deal.
    People have better manners in general.
    Services are better.
    Property is maintained to a higher standard.
    It feels more sterile and less relaxed than in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Services are better.

Agree with this 100%. Although I'll take your word on the manners aspect.

With religion being entangled in identity/politics makes NI quite a backward society IMHO - especially in the bible belt of north Antrim.

Far fewer pubs in Norn Iron too.

They're also much more fond of a march.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Services are better.

that's why its so obvious

don't agree on the class / manners thing however

i think thats more based on personal circumstance to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I live,on the border, Donegal and Derry are the same people, efven the, Londonderry ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Northie girls are easier and wear shorter dresses, however they don't age aswell.

ted1 wrote: »
    Northie girls are easier and wear shorter dresses, however they don't age aswell.
    no they aren't. Yes,they do xx

• Advertisement

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The land isn't better but the people are, by and large, more blunt, which is very refreshing.

:eek:
    do you really have pants on your face? Aee they sexy pants?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love the northies. For me Northern Ireland is a separate state and I'm fine with that. Fair play to them, they've a population of one million and they've produced three major golf winners in Rory M'cilroy, Graeme Mcdowell and Darren Clarke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

CJC999 wrote: »
    Apart from northern Ireland's two motorways the roads in the south are much better. NI haven't upgraded any of their primary or regional roads in 50yrs. If you get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle in the north then that's it, your stuck there, the road surfaces may be good, the road layouts are pure ****e.

Northern Ireland and in particular Belfast have piss poor road signage. Belfast is a nightmare unless you actually know where your going, it's the one city I absolutely hate driving in despite the fact I've been there countless times.

the roads in the countryside in the North are alot better than the ones in the south. The country roads in Kilkenny and Carlow area are like dirt roads still with grass up the middle, you wont find that in many places in the North.

Also find Belfast one of the easiest cities to drive around:confused:

• Advertisement

bstar wrote: »
    the roads in the countryside in the North are alot better than the ones in the south. The country roads in Kilkenny and Carlow area are like dirt roads still with grass up the middle, you wont find that in many places in the North.

USED to be the case but not any.more. also tractor ans lorry drivers are ignorant and never pull in. It's the only place on the island where the gps is under. Generally arrive 30 minutes after eta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

I've drove in both areas in the past few months and still the same? The roads in towns in the south are overtaking the north but not rural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

As the people from the north say:

Lirdle lirdle lirdle lidlre lirdle lirlde lir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

It is a seprate country....totally different...we should respect that.

We are very different. I think it would be nice if we could get on..

But it is a separate and independant country from us in the republic and they always will be. We should make it clear we respect and acknowledge that and that it always will be. I think it would make a difference.

I like the 26 counties...and the six ..i think it's nice that they are separate ..somewhere to visit.

Culurally we are very different ..anyone i have ever met from the north has been a really nice person actually and i have had great friends from there. The whole thing never came into it...they were just good friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

The motorways are. But the really rural roads are better in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Trust me they are much better up north. Motorways are straight, connect what need connecting... so what it's only 2 and some spurs, it serves what it needs. The difference between n3 at belterbet and the a503 past teemore, derrylin, etc and on to Enniskillin is amazing. Enniskillen to Belfast is easy, even though it isn't mw the road is wide and straight. And yes they did extend the m1 to Dungannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Roads are way better, you notice that straight away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

bstar wrote: »
    CJC999 wrote: »

I'm sorry but I live 15 miles from the border/NI and I can safely say the roads are worse. They have plenty of small
    Narrow roads with grass growing down the middle of them too. They have potholes, craters and rough surfaces just like in Ireland. If you've ever approachedbelfast from Derry direction you'll know exactly how confusing the signs, road markings and lanes are. Maybe the rest of the city is easier to drive in but not the areas I know. There are no direct routes anywhere, there are countless one way systems, no right turns, multiple lane roads with piss poor signage and then in other places a complete lack of signage. I absolutely hate driving there and have driven in London, Munich, Sydney, Miami and Paris and all have been easier to navigate.

The hard shoulders are raised like foot paths so slow vehicles don't pull in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

stereotype alert: I always find northern Irish a bit more aggressive/confrontational, fair few chips on shoulders.

Just personal experience before anyone jumps on me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement