Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you feel a difference between North and South?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

To be honest you really have to feel for the nordies-it's like driving into a third world country when you get there.
    The roads are crap the people bitter it's like Biafra looking for indepence from Nigeria in the 70's.
    The shops are cheap and the people are so downtrodden looking.
    Never mind a penny for the black babies we should all be donating a penny for the poor Nordie babies.

I can see you're obviously trolling but I'll bite.

That will be those famously tatty stores like Sainsbury's and M&S which see folk from the south flooding into every weekend - and Christmas in particular.

Downtrodden looking? You've never been to Tallaght or Ballymun then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

But it is a separate and independant country from us in the republic and they always will be.

It wont Always be

the Nationalist population is growing a lot more than the Unionist,, as soon as the Nationalist are the majority there than i have every confidence they will vote for a United Ireland.

Just because it has been that way for nearly 100 years does not make it right or natural or mean it will always be like that.

its none of these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    It wont Always be

the Nationalist population is growing a lot more than the Unionist,, as soon as the Nationalist are the majority there than i have every confidence they will vote for a United Ireland.

Just because it has been that way for nearly 100 years does not make it right or natural or mean it will always be like that.

Of course its impossible to say what will happen with Ireland, and even if Nationalists became the majority in NI would they automatically vote to leave the Union? look at Scotland for example, will she leave the Union, or will she stay? or might there even be a new form of Union among the countries of these islands in the next hundred years? and looking further afield, will Italy break into two seperate countries like it has alway been threatening to? or will it remain as one, but always in a state of flux?

Nobody can say for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    It wont Always be

its none of these things.

In 100 years, six guys from Cork will attempt to take the local post office and force a republic. The Dail will send the army in in force but later be forced to negotiate. Cork will be give the modern equivalent of home rule, but then embark on a tragic civil war over whether or not this is in their own best interests. They'll take it, gain full independence for most of the county some time later, but then create a terrorist (sorry "guerilla" army) to force out the last of the "Jackeen scum" (even thought they are referring to the full 31 counties with this).

Another 50 years after that and this will still be ongoing.

That or the entire country will have become an Islamic republic, wich Chrsitians being the minority :D.

Or, as another thread is saying, robots.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Don't really get this thing about the roads in the south being infinitely better than the north. There's been quite a bit invested in N roads in the south in the last 20 years to bring them up to scratch and those which have benefited from this are now arguably better than most northern A roads, but I can't say that the R roads are any better than the B roads up here from my experience. Also in terms of investment, the Dungannon to Ballygawley part of the A4 was rebuilt and opened two years ago as a dual carriageway, the bits of the A5 (A5/N2 Derry to Donegal route) between Ballygawley to Omagh and Newbuildings to Derry are to be upgraded to a dual carriageway with work starting shortly barring a legal challenge - along the same road in the last 20 years there's been bypasses or throughpasses constructed next to Strabane, Newtownstewart and Omagh etc. A lot of work regarding main road upgrades west of the Bann has been some 50 years or so in the making, delays mainly coming from broken promises and deliberate neglect from the old Stormont parliament, the 70's oil crises and the Troubles. Through traffic in towns and cities up here, that's another matter entirely thanks to some bad planning.

I'd agree that there is a more socially conservative outlook in life among the population in NI compared to the south in general (though not too far out of place with say parts of Connacht), but again I don't get the class thing - it's much less pronounced up here compared to say most of England and the days of the Celtic Tiger boom led to more snobbish attitudes among many in the Republic even after that bubble burst. The cost of living in much of the south is significantly higher in the south in most areas, from groceries to pubs/restaurants to leisure activities. Parts of Northern Ireland can feel completely different from each other depending on what "community" is more dominant in a said village or part of the town/city. Other than that there are plenty of similarities, we watch much of the same television, follow similar sporting interests, speak the same language etc.

Oh, I suppose there is the Magners/Bulmers thing too.

Edit: Also with the sectarian head count, an increasing proportion of people born Catholic up here compared to Protestants isn't doing much to ensure the north and south being reunited outside the UK. There has been for quite some time a significant part of the Catholic population (at least one third) that are happy for NI to stay in the UK (the derogatory term "Castle Catholics" is often used to describe them) and many more are fairly passive about the border question, not really caring too much one way or the other. There are plenty who vote for Sinn Fein or the SDLP who aren't that fully committed to the idea of a united Ireland, more that they vote on identity and vague policy lines. Not too far away from the idea that many SNP voters in Scotland returned them to Holyrood not because they want Scotland to break away from the UK but rather that they were doing a decent job in power. In public most republican & nationalist politicians don't talk much about this or simply dismiss this idea, but in private there is a sense of lamentable resignation, particularly with quite a few of the Shinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

LordSutch wrote: »
    Of course its impossible to say what will happen with Ireland, and even if Nationalists became the majority in NI would they automatically vote to leave the Union? look at Scotland for example, will she leave the Union, or will she stay? or might there even be a new form of Union among the countries of these islands in the next hundred years? and looking further afield, will Italy break into two seperate countries like it has alway been threatening to? or will it remain as one, but always in a state of flux?

Nobody can say for sure.

Presumably we would get a vote about letting them in.
    Could be well awkward if they voted out of the UK and the republic didn't let them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Public service is actually staffed by people who want to serve the public.

Drivers have actually passed a driving test.

You pay rates to a council who actually provide services to residents.

Your uncle doesn't have to be high up in some public sector position to get a job in the public sector.

People are actually less hung up about religion, having not been ruled by priests for decades.

There was no state sanctioned abuse in magdalen laundries and industrial schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

psinno wrote: »
    Presumably we would get a vote about letting them in.
    Could be well awkward if they voted out of the UK and the republic didn't let them in.
    it may never come up in our lifetime,as the united ireland want is now on the back burner for most in the north,the last poll by the belfast telegraph in june ,came up with some strange numbers, the poll taken on the BORDER came up with,only 7% of all voters would go for a united ireland,significantly the proportion of the catholic populantion that favours unity now or in 20 years time has dropped dramatically to just 48%,..63% including 44% of catholics now want northern ireland to remain a separate entity even after 2032,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The main thing for me is the accent.

What accent? Is there one uniform accent for everybody as soon as you cross the border?
    Is there one uniform accent down south?
    Accents in Ireland change every five miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Similar people, but with more old-fashioned attitudes in many things.

Different jurisdiction, which is why a lot of these 'island of Ireland' things are nonsense - like the idea of training gardaí in Northern Ireland, equivalent to training gendarmes in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

free healthcare for everything up north :D

Ever seen a free state car at a roundabout??

They give out state cars at roundabouts in Northern Ireland? Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Maybe the roads debate should be left to those who are\were professional drivers, like me been driving both sides of the border for 5 years.

The motorways are better in the republic but i presume that is simply because they are newer, outside of the motorways the roads in Northern Ireland are far better, traffic lights are better and road signs make more common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Little My wrote: »
    People are actually less hung up about religion, having not been ruled by priests for decades.

Are you 'avin a laugh?

i went to see the stone roses in belfast.

there were no psni oficers anywhere to be seen on the way in, we went to the nearest pub to the concert, no huge crowds, just normal people having easy few drinks. no hassle, no queuing for 20 mins, then spilling your drinks over hundreds of other people trying to get a drink.
    very nice and relaxed people, having few drinks and having a chat.

nobody hammered out of their minds in the concert, absolutley no fights or rorws, no one getting sick.

after the concert, 8 psni standing aound, having the craic, no one causing hassle, no fights, everyone dispered within an hour.

will go up north for concert again, brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Lapin wrote: »
    You know you're back in the republic when the cycle lane comes to an end.

Derry Donegal border.
    Meanwhile a little further down the road, How about 100 yards into NI here,
    and 100 yards into the ROI here. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I find a lot of the men to be more tight-lipped with their opinions, politics is certainly a non starter as pub conversation. The women tend to have less hang-ups about casual sex. Both are more likely to work in civil service positions and, as such, have very different attitudes to careers than us in the republic. Cars tend to be better minded yet large sections of the population seem to enjoy graffiti and painting their pavements...

It's no more similar to the Republic than England, Scotland or Wales are in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It is a seprate country....totally different...we should respect that.

We are very different. I think it would be nice if we could get on..

But it is a separate and independant country from us in the republic and they always will be. We should make it clear we respect and acknowledge that and that it always will be. I think it would make a difference.

I like the 26 counties...and the six ..i think it's nice that they are separate ..somewhere to visit.

Culurally we are very different ..anyone i have ever met from the north has been a really nice person actually and i have had great friends from there. The whole thing never came into it...they were just good friends.

I'd say they'd love to hear that in Cushendall or Newry... :rolleyes:

Seriously, how different can people be on the same fucking island? Ireland (the entire island, not the state) isn't a big place (81,640 sq km), it's just slightly over half the size of the State of Georgia (153,900 sq km) in the US. Apart from the super jaffas who like marching and parading, and the super ra heads who also like a march/riot there isn't that much of a difference. It's like that joke by Dara O'Briain about a mixed marriage of a Catholic and a Protestant. The only big differences I've ever found is that nationalists will know more about GAA and more or less where you come from in south. Unionists won't know the 26 counties, which isn't more of a reflection of their schools political intransigence as opposed to their own personal feelings. By and large southerners have a lot in common with people in the north, but of course it's easy to focus on the 5% of difference than on the 95% of commonalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How different are the English and the Scottish? the Scottish and the Welsh? Dubs and Corkonians?

Very easy to have major cultural differences between the inhabitants of an island.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Little My wrote: »
    Public service is actually staffed by people who want to serve the public.

Drivers have actually passed a driving test.

You pay rates to a council who actually provide services to residents.

Your uncle doesn't have to be high up in some public sector position to get a job in the public sector.

There was no state sanctioned abuse in magdalen laundries and industrial schools.

Jesus wept, this is the most fact free post ever. NI is "less hung up about religion". Really? REALLY?

Everything else is wrong too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

will.i.am wrote: »
    We don't have Sainsburys down here!:mad:
    Ahh, but there's no Superquinn in Norn Iron!

I know who's getting the worse side of this lack of shops.

No amber for the go sequence is to deal with "amber gamblers"

Some people seem to be using this thread as a thin veil for spouting their own political views. The fact is there is no difference in the people between north and south, at least not one that you wouldnt find between east and west, carlow and cork, dublin and donegal.
    True, there are a few superficial things like signs etc but sure what the hell does that matter.
    Someone in belfast for example, coming from a city, is going to have a lot more in common with someone from Dublin than I will. Whereas I will have a lot more in common with someone from Louth or Monaghan than I will from Derry.
    These are the same little subtle differences and regional quirks that you will find across the island.
    To suggest that there is some sort of fundamental change in the people and the place once you cross an imaginary line that has only existed for a fraction of a second when compared to the time Irish people have been here is utter rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

For some reason I have noticed that schoolgirls across the border are *ahem* economical with the amount of material in their skirts...

...I take an interest in finely woven wool and that is why I noticed...there is no truth in the rumour that I have been taking any photographs, i just was answering me phone...officer...

Some people seem to be using this thread as a thin veil for spouting their own political views. The fact is there is no difference in the people between north and south, at least not one that you wouldnt find between east and west, carlow and cork, dublin and donegal.
    True, there are a few superficial things like signs etc but sure what the hell does that matter.
    Someone in belfast for example, coming from a city, is going to have a lot more in common with someone from Dublin than I will. Whereas I will have a lot more in common with someone from Louth or Monaghan than I will from Derry.
    These are the same little subtle differences and regional quirks that you will find across the island.
    To suggest that there is some sort of fundamental change in the people and the place once you cross an imaginary line that has only existed for a fraction of a second when compared to the time Irish people have been here is utter rubbish
    Spot on.
    You can say any two things are "different" or "the same" depending on what criteria you use.
    Cows and sheep are different, but compared to fish they are very similar with both being similar mammals, fish and sheep are the same compared to a rock with both being alive, and a rock and a cow are the same compared to dark matter with both being made of atoms.

The mix and variety of Irish people are what make up "The Irish People" and depending on what criteria you use to make someone different to another, we are either all the same or every single individual is different, with everything else in-between being equally valid.

The only exception to the above would be South Armagh, ye are all nuts. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

Women up North are mad for wavin.

• Advertisement

Always makes me smile when Northern people use 'wee' so much: "Would you put your wee credit card in the wee machine there?"

Yes I agree with most of that, but the thing is, might that argument also be used to say that little subtle differences and regional quirks would be found between the people of Northern Ireland and Scotland? Surely the UK mindset among many in NI would have them leaning towards the other regions within the UK (as well as the rest of this island). The imaginary line you speak of also exists between England & Wales, England and Scotland, and yet they are all part of one nation (the UK) as well as being seperate and individual countries/regions of their own right. For some people NI is identical to here, to others its foreign, and then there is every shade between those two points of view. My own view is that I find the North to be different, just different in a non quantifiable way. Parts of the North are very like parts of Britain, and I always get a sense that I am in a different country (not that I visit that often), then again if I was a travelling GAA supporter I would probably find no difference whatsoever up North.

So maybe its just a mindset?

Spot on.
    You can say any two things are "different" or "the same" depending on what criteria you use.
    Cows and sheep are different, but compared to fish they are very similar with both being similar mammals, fish and sheep are the same compared to a rock with both being alive, and a rock and a cow are the same compared to dark matter with both being made of atoms.

The mix and variety of Irish people are what make up "The Irish People" and depending on what criteria you use to make someone different to another, we are either all the same or every single individual is different, with everything else in-between being equally valid.

The only exception to the above would be South Armagh, ye are all nuts. ;)

Says West Cork. Was actually down there a fortnight ago for a few days, mad craic

it's definitely a mindset; the radio news in Northern Ireland treats the people and country a few kilometres to their south as if it doesn't exist, and their driving news refers to "the midlands" (of England). The only time you hear news of anything happening in, say, Galway or even Sligo is if it's a horrific crime or if it's some nasty piece of corruption.

Whereas in the Republic of Ireland, news programmes report on people who have gone missing in Down, or road accidents in Antrim, etc, quite normally.

Northerners simply don't know anything about how their neighbours to the south live. I was showing someone from Belfast a photo of a pretty Wexford Garda station recently, and she said "But how do you know it's a police station?" I zoomed in to show her the Garda logo, and a slow smile spread across her face. "Oh, really?" she said, as if I'd shown her some strange artefact.

Says West Cork. Was actually down there a fortnight ago for a few days, mad craic
    Just to reciprocate some of the best craic I have ever had was in South Armagh, going on the batter in Crossmaglen, Forkhill etc (a few years ago at least ;)) was a lot more fun than Schull or Clon, the helicopters gave it certain "flair". :)

• Advertisement

Yes I agree with most of that, but the thing is, might that argument also be used to say that little subtle differences and regional quirks would be found between the people of Northern Ireland and Scotland? Surely the UK mindset among many in NI would have them leaning towards the other regions within the UK (as well as the rest of this island). The imaginary line you speak of also exists between England & Wales, England and Scotland, and yet they are all part of one nation (the UK) as well as being seperate and individual countries/regions of their own right. For some people NI is identical to here, to others its foreign, and then there is every shade between those two points of view. My own view is that I find the North to be different, just different in a non quantifiable way. Parts of the North are very like parts of Britain, and I always get a sense that I am in a different country (not that I visit that often), then again if I was a travelling GAA supporter I would probably find no difference whatsoever up North.

So maybe its just a mindset?

Good point and kind of ties into what I was saying. If you go up expecting it to be different than it will be. Same as if i went down to Dublin expecting everyone to be a snobby D4 west brit or a slack jawed junkie then that's what I'd find.
    Regarding the differences between scotland/wales and England i think they are a lot more profound than you would let on.
    Celtic/gaelic culture has a lot of influence there, particularly in the scottish highlands and you really couldnt say they are the same as England, obviously however that doesnt apply to everyone in scotland and it's not something that just hits you as soon as you cross the border.
    Regarding Ireland and England there are fairly big and fundamental differences, not just among Irish nationalists but even among unionists.
    As much as unionists may not like to admit it, they are not british, within the UK, perhaps, bu certainly not british. In fact unionism has never considered itself british, this is a fairly recent phenomenon. Historically unionists had always considered themselves Irish (but were obviously in favour of the union.)
    As for parts of the north being like Britain, im not even sure what that means. Britain is three distinct countries, how can parts of the north be like it, that's far too wide ranging and broad a statement to be accurate.
    If youre referring to streets festooned with union jacks and UVF signs I assure you, that is nothing like britain.
    This is getting away from the main topic of the thread which is north and south. As someone who travels a lot and lives on the border i can honestly say i see no difference between north and south that i dont see, as a i mentioned, between Mayo and Monaghan.

it's definitely a mindset; the radio news in Northern Ireland treats the people and country a few kilometres to their south as if it doesn't exist, and their driving news refers to "the midlands" (of England). The only time you hear news of anything happening in, say, Galway or even Sligo is if it's a horrific crime or if it's some nasty piece of corruption.

Whereas in the Republic of Ireland, news programmes report on people who have gone missing in Down, or road accidents in Antrim, etc, quite normally.

Northerners simply don't know anything about how their neighbours to the south live. I was showing someone from Belfast a photo of a pretty Wexford Garda station recently, and she said "But how do you know it's a police station?" I zoomed in to show her the Garda logo, and a slow smile spread across her face. "Oh, really?" she said, as if I'd shown her some strange artefact.

Again, much like the over use of the word "wee" that someone mentioned earlier, your taking something from Belfast and attributing it to the whole of the north.
    Of course someone from Belfast doesnt know anything about wexford, people from belfast dont know anything about Derry, or Enniskillen or Omagh. They're notoriously Belfast-centric, they seem to think as soon as you get past Lisburn you'll drop off the edge of the world.
    As for the news, I agree that's a disgrace and long may RTE and Newstalk continue to provide truly national news.

Well, not really only Belfast; I've come across this Ireland-blindness from people in various parts of Northern Ireland. I wouldn't regard it and the (probably resulting) lack of news coverage as disgraceful, just as really, really odd. It'll probably lessen as people travel south more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Podgers

i don't like the brick housing estates up there ... but at least they are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Always makes me smile when Northern people use 'wee' so much: "Would you put your wee credit card in the wee machine there?"

I think it's probably a wee legacy of the Scottish influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭euddue

Podgers wrote: »
    i don't like the brick housing estates up there ... but at least they are finished.

i actually prefer them to the plastered boxes we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The reporting situation has changed a bit. BBC teletext from NI now regularly has some items from the south. Although you're right about the people. A friend from Carrickfergus recently asked me if the Republic has an army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

People are less hung up about religion. The problems between the two communities are not down to religious ideology, its rather a history of community tensions. If you think its still about religion you are seriously missing the point.

The majority of people from the republic know very little about Northern Ireland, if Galway people go to Sligo that's about as far north as they get. When the exchange rate was good and everyone wanted to go shopping I got asked 101 times if they needed a passport or what should they say if they get stopped crossing the border. It's ridiculous.

I can't think of any of my Northern friends who haven't been to the Republic, but I can think of many Galway friends who haven't been to the North.

Public service in the North is better, non of the bull****tery you get in the South. If you are entitled to money from the social welfare, the people in the office will be kind, considerate and professional, they will know how it works and what you will get from the start. You won't get as much, but you will get it from the week you sign on. The libraries are better, the public leisure centres are better, the schools are better equipped.

Our history has parted, but our grandparents were born in the same country ffs. How much difference, I mean real cultural difference, can be ingrained in the space of 2 generations?

Having lived in Northern Ireland for 18 years, England for 6, and Ireland for 6, there isn't much difference between any of them.

I guess that's because the media outlests in NI and in Britain see Northern Ireland as part of the UK National picture/Country!

And I guess that's because media outlets down here see Northern Ireland (The North) as part of this Nation/Country!

Bit like a media led tug of war really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

BBC and UTV coverage of Donegal events are infinitely superior to RTE.

• Advertisement

Fish suppers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

In fairness the lack of a security cage and twenty nine CCTV cameras around the building would have been confusing for the wee lass. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭euddue

Fish suppers?

cowboy suppers are the big hit nowadays

euddue wrote: »
    cowboy suppers are the big hit nowadays

Sausage, Beans and Chips.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Fish suppers?

And Ulster frys... with potato bread! And breakfasts sodas are way more popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Antisocialiser

Pastie Supper. Mate. Wha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I find them people north of the Blackwater very insular

I guess that's because the media outlests in NI and in Britain see Northern Ireland as part of the UK National picture/Country!

Of course they want to hear the political news of their jurisdiction - but it's a bit odd to be warning drivers about "the midlands" condition on a different island!
    And I guess that's because media outlets down here see Northern Ireland (The North) as part of this Nation/Country!

I don't think so. Political news is treated differently.

Where To wrote: »
    BBC and UTV coverage of Donegal events are infinitely superior to RTE.

Really? Didn't know that!

Incidentally, no cafe either north or south can cook a grilled tomato properly. It's supposed to be so well cooked that it's rich and sweet and red and juicy, lads, not a raw orangey thing that would break your teeth and tastes like mucus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Yeah when i go from my home in east donegal to derry, i break out in nervous sweats over the difference in accents and culture. Also I hear they eat their children:eek:

Advertisement