Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We have the fastest Paralympian on the Planet

• 01-09-2012 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭

So we have the fastest paralympian on the planet in Jason Smith, so why don't we rejoice more in his success, probably be a Double Double Gold, Double in Beijing and Double in London

21/25

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I'm delirious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Because its late op. il celebrate in the morn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I felt a bit sorry for the others contestants as they immediately fell behind by a good distance. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm stocuous, I nean atrocious, I mean enticed, drunk even

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mberm

He was just brilliant :) Looking forward to he final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Because Jason won one of 29 other versions of the 100m in the Paras. He's legally blind and he competes along side able bodied people also. Maybe he should focus on the real games if he wants to draw a market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

mberm wrote: »
    He was just brilliant :) Looking forward to he final.

me too, in fairness he missed out on the olympics by something like 0.04 of a second (open to correction) 10.22 PB, according to the experts he has a perfect style for sprinting and is in the Tyson Gay training camp!

it was so so unusual to see 100m WR and PR with the Irish flag beside them, I would be thrilled if he got down to 10s or possibly under, a great competitor, all his rivals will be "chasin Jason" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Because Jason won one of 29 other versions of the 100m in the Paras. He's legally blind and he competes along side able bodied people also. Maybe he should focus on the real games if he wants to draw a market.

Rhymes with Bunt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

nice_very wrote: »
    me too, in fairness he missed out on the olympics by something like 0.04 of a second (open to correction) 10.22 PB, according to the experts he has a perfect style for sprinting and is in the Tyson Gay training camp!

it was so so unusual to see 100m WR and PR with the Irish flag beside them, I would be thrilled if he got down to 10s or possibly under, a great competitor, all his rivals will be "chasin Jason" :D

He actually ran a 10:18 but it was wind assisted but who's picky, he's a legemd

21/25

sxt wrote: »
    Rhymes with Bunt...

You don't like what I say? Maybe you should become more open you silly billy. Boards is a discussion site, there's no need for you to attempt to abuse me you little mouse of a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

uch wrote: »
    so why don't we rejoice more in his success,

because no one cares about the paralympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

This is AH. You could win a fucking Nobel prize. No one gives a fuck. And if you don't like that. No one gives a fuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

Tbh other than being mildly aroused at the womens beach volleyball, I didn't actually give a toss about the olympics either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Not that you care I am sure but:

He did try to qualify for the "real games" and was bitterly disappointed when he missed out narrowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

would it be cheating if you were a good runner, and cut off your arm to win the paralympics:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

Lets be honest, nobody really cares about the Olympics either. The media generate hysteria, as they do to create money, and the usual bandwagon jumpers get on and become all "into" these sports for a few days and then it's forgotten about.

The level of support shown for the Olympics and the complete and utter lack of f*cks given about the Paralympics supports this theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jason Smyth is the "Usain Bolt" of the Paralympics. He's not only the fastest Paralympian, but he's the fastest by a big margin. He's also trying to do what Bolt did and win double sprint gold for the second straight Paralympics.

And here's the clincher: he's Ireland's second fastest man ever! His final is on at 19:15 this evening for those interested.

Michael McKillop has CP and also races in abled bodied races. He is the defending T37 800m champion and he also holds the WR. He's run 1:57.3 for 800m. His race is at 20:58 this evening.

Both have represented Ireland in able-bodied international competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

You don't like what I say? Maybe you should become more open you silly billy. Boards is a discussion site, there's no need for you to attempt to abuse me you little mouse of a man.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mberm

Another great run by Jason Smyth in the final tonight, breaking his own earlier record. Really looking forward to seeing him run in the 200m on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You must be one hell of special type of Human being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Yep what a run, roll on the 200M

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

He's legally blind... .
    Maybe he should focus...

That's pretty harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

We should be super proud of this guy: he’s world class despite his disability. Very few people can run as fast as he can. Why exactly do we hear so much about our rubbish football team - have they ever been otherwise? – and the same old stories from GAA? Surely the nation can afford a little time and thought for genuine individual talent operating at the international level. At Ukraine-Poland Irish fans excelled – now live on TV (C4 at least) Irish talent does.

You must be one hell of special type of Human being.

Whats your problem with what I said? I didn't criticise the chap, I just suggested that he may want to focus his ability on the real competition to further his exposure. I believe that he's talented enough to do so, he just missed out on replacing Hession on the Irish Olympic team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

wow sierra wrote: »
    Not that you care I am sure but:

He did try to qualify for the "real games" and was bitterly disappointed when he missed out narrowly.

Lots of other people missed out. They just didn't happen to be blind.

It gets a little hard to be proud of Irish people when our media claims pretty much everyone who has an Irish great grandfather or someone who visited Ireland in 1962 as Irish and take credit for everything they've done. It just gets sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm going to sound like a complete bastard but if there was an alternative Olympics where all the athletes competed blindfolded or with one arm tied behind their backs, nobody would care about it. Well this is basically the same but with contrived enthusiasm born out of sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

humbert wrote: »
    I'm going to sound like a complete bastard but if there was an alternative Olympics where all the athletes competed blindfolded or with one arm tied behind their backs, nobody would care about it. Well this is basically the same but with contrived enthusiasm born out of sympathy.

Wait until you see the winter paralympics. One-legged skiing is awesome.

dirtyden wrote: »
    LOL

What's the Lol about? I was viciously attacked on the internet. I merely tried to defend myself. This restraint makes me feel like Howard Stern before Sirius.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

humbert wrote: »
    if there was an alternative Olympics where all the athletes competed blindfolded or with one arm tied behind their backs, nobody would care about it.

Nobody would care because it would be stupid.
    Well this is basically the same but with contrived enthusiasm born out of sympathy.

It's not.

Lots of these people have survived awful accidents, illnesses, conditions, explosions, being born with a severe impairment etc and have gone on to become athletes who compete against equally determined survivors.

Lots of these people have survived awful accidents, illnesses, conditions, explosions, being born with a severe impairment etc and have gone on to become athletes who compete against equally determined survivors.

So assuming all disabilities are the same, i.e illnesses, conditions, explosions etc. are all equal so we should just throw all these people in the mix together and see who's fastest. That doesn't really sit well with many people.

This restraint makes me feel like Howard Stern before Sirius.

Stern was pretty terrible both before and after Sirius TBH

al28283 wrote: »
    So assuming all disabilities are the same, i.e illnesses, conditions, explosions etc. are all equal

Stupid assumption tbh.
    so we should just throw all these people in the mix together and see who's fastest.

No, that would be stupid.
    That doesn't really sit well with many people.

Yes, because it would be stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Tell you what Deft, when you run faster than him we'll take your armchairlympian opinions on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Attack the post and not the poster.
    Your post was posted by a complete numpty.

Tell you what Deft, when you run faster than him we'll take your armchairlympian opinions on board.

I've already been through this petty sh1te with clowns from the last thread. I've competed in cross country and middle distance track, I'm not an arm chair observer. I never bloody questioned Jason Smyths ability anywhere I just pointed out that he would be better served dropping the paras and trying to run for the real team full time. Whether that be GB or Ireland considering he's a Derry boy.

• Advertisement

Lads with no arms racing each other in the pool?

I'd drown in water with no arms - forget racing.

Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

sxt wrote: »
    Rhymes with Bunt...
    :D

:D[/QUOT

Laugh away rereg, how dare you find humour at my expense, I've been verbally assaulted for stating an opinion and I don't particularly like it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

So the **** what? So what? We put something on Mars this year. ****ing bastard Mars. Roughly 250 million kilometres away from Earth. Yet this irrelevant **** (not just para, all Olympics) continues to capture the minds of the bovine amongst us. Give me ****ing strength! Watching your man, Usain Bolt, acting like he's Dr ****in Dre. You can run fast, you ****. You know what else goes fast and considerably faster? My car. So **** you and **** athletes in general for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

So the **** what? So what? We put something on Mars this year. ****ing bastard Mars. 250 million kilometres away from Earth. Yet this irrelevant **** (not just para, all Olympics) continues to capture the minds of the bovine amongst us. Give me ****ing strength! Watching your man, Usain Bolt, acting like he's Dr ****in Dre. You can run fast, you ****. You know what else goes fast and considerably faster? My car. So **** you and **** athletes in general for that matter.

Jasuzzzzzz

Chill the ****out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Jasuzzzzzz

Eat me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

:D[/QUOT

Laugh away rereg, how dare you find humour at my expense, I've been verbally assaulted for stating an opinion and I don't particularly like it.:mad:

I reckon you've changed location lately. Definitely since you last changed your profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Jasuzzzzzz

Eat me.

I probably would, but chances are you'd leave a bad taste in my mouth.

:pac:

If After Hours is a good representation of modern Ireland, then I can't wait to get the eff out of here.

I don't care about sport in general, for me the Olympics meant nothing. But I find it astonishing how good some of those athletes are, despite the conditions of their bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

ermahgerd wrote: »
    Lets be honest, nobody really cares about the Olympics either. The media generate hysteria, as they do to create money, and the usual bandwagon jumpers get on and become all "into" these sports for a few days and then it's forgotten about.

The level of support shown for the Olympics and the complete and utter lack of f*cks given about the Paralympics supports this theory.

I love the Olympics as many people do. I rarely watch sport in between the olympics. Not because its not the Olympics, but because I hate soccer, horseracing, Golf, and I'm meh about Formukla 1 -> about the only sports that get and proper coverage in between olympics.
    Usain Bolt, acting like he's Dr ****in Dre

Bolt >>>>>>>>> Dre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So the **** what? So what? We put something on Mars this year. ****ing bastard Mars. Roughly 250 million kilometres away from Earth. Yet this irrelevant **** (not just para, all Olympics) continues to capture the minds of the bovine amongst us. Give me ****ing strength! Watching your man, Usain Bolt, acting like he's Dr ****in Dre. You can run fast, you ****. You know what else goes fast and considerably faster? My car. So **** you and **** athletes in general for that matter.

I know the Americans put something on Mars, but what we put there must have been kept very quiet, what was it, a speed van or something?:confused:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I know the Americans put something on Mars, but what we put there must have been kept very quiet, what was it, a speed van or something?:confused:

:p

There's a Murphy's Irish bar up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's a Murphy's Irish bar up there.

...selling Red Biddy no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Its not exactly an achievement though is it? He's blind, its not like he only has one leg. I watched the 100m final in the Olympics to see the fastest man ever, this guy has all the same muscles etc needed to run the 100m, yet his time couldn't qualify him for the real Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its not exactly an achievement though is it? He's blind, its not like he only has one leg. I watched the 100m final in the Olympics to see the fastest man ever, this guy has all the same muscles etc needed to run the 100m, yet his time couldn't qualify him for the real Olympics.

Being blind makes it very difficult to even walk in a straight line never mind running at speed. Its not as easy as you seem to think

• Advertisement
Advertisement