Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Year Computing Project

• 01-09-2012 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hey lads,

I'm just wondering a few things :

A) : How many people were allowed in a group. Was there any lenience on how many were allowed in the group, say 3-4 in a group?

B) : What kind of project did you work on? Say , a game , or a pay roll system?

C) : What technologies did you use? What programming languages did you use , along with frameworks, like C# along with XNA, C++ and Allegro, etc.

D) : Was the first semester paper work based, and second semester all programming like the 2nd year project, or will we be programming from the get go?

E) : Do you have to implement a database in the project?

Thank for the answers guys, appreciate it :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A) 2 per group, fairly strict unless there's an uneven amount in the class.

B) I done a website for mine, people done football games, card games, etc...

C) Can't remember exactly, but C#, XML, jQuery and a few others, but you can generally use what ever languages you want, two French emarus students used Pearl (iirc) which I think only one of the lecturers new anything about it.

D) The paper work is different, in 1st Semester you do very little, think it was like just a brief outline and what not, 2nd Semester you're expected to have paperwork upload every 2nd week while working on your project.

E) You don't have to but the more complex and difficult your project is the better grade you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭theGavin

Thanks very much man, appreciate it alot :D

Just out of curiosity, was there much paper work involved?

theGavin wrote: »
    Thanks very much man, appreciate it alot :D

Just out of curiosity, was there much paper work involved?

Looking at my stuff for last year.

5th Semester I done 11 pages. 1 page on "Project Idea", 7 pages on "Research Requirements" and 3 pages on Sample Code. Obviously this takes a bit of time while you think up ideas and functionality but it's just a brief outline, think it's due like a few weeks after you go back to college.

6th Semester you have an Iteration every couple of weeks, the first one is fairly heavy work (13 pages) but it basically the same layout for the next few uploads you just have to edit it for each Iteration. First work will take a bit of work remembering how to do certain diagrams from 1st year and whatnot but after the first one they become fairly handy.

Looking at my stuff for last year.

5th Semester I done 11 pages. 1 page on "Project Idea", 7 pages on "Research Requirements" and 3 pages on Sample Code. Obviously this takes a bit of time while you think up ideas and functionality but it's just a brief outline, think it's due like a few weeks after you go back to college.

6th Semester you have an Iteration every couple of weeks, the first one is fairly heavy work (13 pages) but it basically the same layout for the next few uploads you just have to edit it for each Iteration. First work will take a bit of work remembering how to do certain diagrams from 1st year and whatnot but after the first one they become fairly handy.

Cheers man, can't thank you enough, I appreciate it :cool:

Cheers man, can't thank you enough, I appreciate it :cool:

No bother, might be seeing you in 3rd year in a few weeks if my repeat results don't go to plan! :(

Wouldn't stress to much about the project tbh yet, once you've an idea of what you want to do that's the basis for 5th semester, make sure you're in a group with someone who isn't going to slack and you can work with. Not sure if you work part time outside of college but if you do seriously try to sort consistent hours, with college hours and project hours, that's generally why I've struggled through college is working part time! :mad:

• Advertisement

No bother, might be seeing you in 3rd year in a few weeks if my repeat results don't go to plan! :(

Wouldn't stress to much about the project tbh yet, once you've an idea of what you want to do that's the basis for 5th semester, make sure you're in a group with someone who isn't going to slack and you can work with. Not sure if you work part time outside of college but if you do seriously try to sort consistent hours, with college hours and project hours, that's generally why I've struggled through college is working part time! :mad:

Nah, I have a couple of lads who are hardworking :) And I should be grand with getting the hours in ; got no job and live really close to the college.

Ah, good luck with the results man, I'll get my nanny to light you a candle :cool: haha But seriously, good luck.

Ah, good luck with the results man, I'll get my nanny to light you a candle :cool: haha But seriously, good luck.

It didn't work! :( I passed SDEV6 but not 5, WTF!?

It didn't work! :( I passed SDEV6 but not 5, WTF!?

That happened to a friend of mine as well. That shouldn't be allowed. If you pass the more advanced stuff, the other stuff shouldn't matter.

That happened to a friend of mine as well. That shouldn't be allowed. If you pass the more advanced stuff, the other stuff shouldn't matter.

This year? I've emailed Barry to see if there's anything I can do. Repeating a year for one subject is a disaster.

This year? I've emailed Barry to see if there's anything I can do. Repeating a year for one subject is a disaster.

Yeah this year.

It would be great if you could repeat your failed subjects in the evening, but continue on doing the following year during the day. That's the kind of world I want to live in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement