Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to breed my mongrel...

• 01-09-2012 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So my family have this dog for the last 9 or so years, he's a rescued dog and is about 10 - 11 years old. He's in perfect health, has been treated superbly over the years and has the energy and spark of a puppy still.

The family absolutely LOVE this dog, he's our best buddy in the house, and even though people have moved out and had kids and some of us have lived abroad, nobody can be away from him for too long without missing him terribly.

So, now that he's getting on (and is not neutered) we're starting to think we would REALLY love him to become a daddy and to keep one or two of his pups. But how do we go about breeding him? He is an absolute, 100% mongrel, and if possible it would be nice to breed him with one too, although if we had to breed him with a thorough bred of some kind we would be willing to do that too, but we were hoping that maybe someone could point us in the right direction?

He has more personality and charm than any dog we've ever seen and we are desperate to keep his blood line alive after he goes, even though he's irreplacable.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Any dog that you get is going to give you the love that your dog gives. Personally I think that he is too old oo breed and also, chances are the bitch will have more than two pups.

What's going to happen to the remainder if you can't find them homes? Rescues are full to the brims at he moment without other unwanted pups coking in.

Rescue a pup or dog if you want an addition to your family!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Your lovely dog is a product of his upbringing. Well done to you and your family on giving him a nice home which allowed him to become the treasure you have.

I think it would be very sad for you to not share this home with another pup who desperately needs it when the time comes for you to look for another dog.

You know the story with pounds and rescues, as you rescued your current dog. I really think you'd be doing your dog a disservice to breed him. You took him from a bad situation, so that 9 years later he can be the cause of other dogs ending up or staying in that same situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I agree with the others; at 11 your dog is too old to breed; no-one reputable will breed their bitch to an elderly mongrel and you will wind up having to go to an unscrupulous person, and the gods only know what physical and behavioural problems their dog will have which she could pass on to the pups.

On top of that there's a very high probability of anything up to 8 pups being born; would you really want to condemn 7 puppies to either being sold by a puppy farmer or winding up in the pound, or, even worse, in a bag in the river?

Your dog is a product of your family. Go to the pound or to a shelter and give some poor unfortunate pup the chance to grow up in a loving family that will teach it to be the best dog it can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I have talked to a few people who had the same idea as you with regards to breeding their fantastic pet to get a pup and carry on the personality. I am going to have to reiterate what everyone else has said to you - your dog is a great pet because of all the care and work you have put into the dog, and breeding him is not really a good idea. He is a bit too old to breed and there are so many dogs out there that do not have homes that if the litter if bigger than expected you may (without intending to) end up contributing to the problem of unwanted dogs in this country

I'm not saying that your dog didn't have a good personality in the first place but if you are looking for a puppy to have just as good a personality, the best way to get one if looking in pounds and shelters. You won't be contributing to the large number of unwanted dogs and you will have a dog that is brilliant because of all the love and care you have given to it. It's just a matter of standing back and seeing what is best for all involved!

If you do decide to breed your dog, there is not guarantee that the pups will be anything like your chap - due to his mixed breed (nothing wrong with that at all, just that it could be less predictable to see what the pups will be like) and that the bitch will be mixed you could end up with a litter that is quite dissimilar to both parents. Hell, even pure breed dogs can end up totally different to what was expected! Looking at people even, they can be totally different to their parents in both physical feature and personality, siblings can be like chalk and cheese and adopted kids can be like photocopies of their adopted parents - nature can be very unpredictable. Nurture is less unpredictable - if a dog is raised in a good domestic environment, the dog will be a good pet. If you give a rescue dog a new home and care for it like you have your current dog, chances are you will have a fab pet!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Blondes have more fun

Snip-See my pm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement