Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I know if my ankle is broken?

• 01-09-2012 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

In bed & the pain in my ankle is after waking me up. I can't put any weight on it really.
    Bone feels ok but the pain is unreal.

So, without having to go to a&e just yet, does anyone have any war wounds worth posting about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Smash it of the wall, it will be grand.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Them oul striped socks are not up to much good then.
    I once got a splinter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I fractured my ankle a few years back.

You would know.

Swelling and agony are two main symptoms.

any or both of these would warrant a trip to a&e

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If there's swelling and you can't put weight on it there's a possibility of a broken bone. Sleep on it and try later on, if the problem persists, you probably have broken it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

AIDS.

• Advertisement

AIDS.

Really!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Break your other ankle with a hammer, if it looks and feels like the sore one then yeah, it's probably broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Walking AIDS.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

If there's swelling and you can't put weight on it there's a possibility of a broken bone. Sleep on it and try later on, if the problem persists, you probably have broken it.
    Ah feck.
    I really could do without the broken ankle

Last night when you where in bed, did anything like this happen to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Really!!!:eek:

As shure as eggs is eggs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ah feck.
    I really could do without the broken ankle

What happened to ya? Don't worry it might only be a sprain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Jumping jacks. If you hear a crack, its more than likely going to warrant a trip to a+e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Try to get some sleep, thought I broke mine a few weeks ago but the pain was miles better the next day. If its still unbearable tomorrow get it checked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Is it swollen?
    Discoloured?
    Does it severly hurt when you touch it?
    Can you move your foot around freely without a problem?
    Can you walk on it
    Can you wriggle your toes?
    does it severly hurt in general?

If yes to a lot of the above, then you should probably get it checked out.

You probably just have a strain or something OP. I often wake up with an extreme pain in my foot, but it goes away after a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Is it swollen?
    Discoloured?
    Does it severly hurt when you touch it?
    Can you move your foot around freely without a problem?
    Can you walk on it
    Can you wriggle your toes?
    does it severly hurt in general?

If yes to a lot of the above, then you should probably get it checked out.

Sh*t I can move my foot freely, wriggle my toes and walk on both my feet.

Both my ankles must be broken!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

mauzo wrote: »
    Sh*t I can move my foot freely, wriggle my toes and walk on both my feet.

Both my ankles must be broken!!!!

quiet you! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Pain, swelling, bruising and bony tenderness would suggest a fracture or break. If you have these symptoms stay off your feet, get a taxi and go to a hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

In bed & the pain in my ankle is after waking me up. I can't put any weight on it really.

So, without having to go to a&e just yet, does anyone have any war wounds worth posting about?

I just dreamt i broke my ankle.
    Spooky.
    My ankles fine tho, thanks.

How did you break your ankle in bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It could be Gout.

Re my war wounds i remember being in the trenches in 1944,It was tough then,real tough,The rain, well the rain was very wet more wetter then than the petty rain you get nowadays,anyway a shell came over from the bad germans and landed right beside me,it blew of both my ankles which was just as well as I had tremendous pain in them at that moment,God works in mysterious ways,for every wrong there is a right...................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

It's probably bone cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Or you could have AIDS.

Have you been golfing lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Was it broken before you went to bed? If not, then it's probably not broken now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

First wash your feet thoroughly and then clean your ankle with some alcohol. Next get a knife and make an incision through the medial side, 2inches above the ankle to 2inches below. Dissect and seperate the skin and fat layers. Look for any obvious breaks all around the ankle joint. Use a magnifying glass to look for smalller fractures and cracks. If you find any breaks or cracks, use some superglue and a stapler to secure the bones in place. Once done, use the stapler to then close back the skin. You should be fixed in no time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

If the bone feels "ok" it might be a hairline fracture or imo more likely that there is tissue damage. If it's a fracture an x-ray will pick it up, if it's tissue damage you need an mri to see it.
    If you're in pain and not able to put weight on it you need to see a doctor, although they may well just tell you to take the weight off, put ice on it and give you something for the pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Have you started bleeding through your eyes? This is normally the first/second symptom of a broken ankle. Depending on how you broke your ankle. If it was in a wooded area, then excessive flatulence is usually the first symptom.

Press up some dandelions in a jar, add some guava berry and scream into the jar for exactly 42 & three-quarters of a minute. You'll now have a fresh ankle and a lice free beard.

You're welcome OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I took a tumble in high heels. It didn't seem too bad when I was out, I got home & went to bed & the pain of it woke me up.
    Just got up there now & I'm limping bad. Very sore & very tender.
    I'm going to rest it up & see how it is tomorrow, I don't fancy a few hours wait in a hospital to be told its a bad sprain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It sounds like west nile fever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I've just got a cast off my broken ankle. How did I know mine was broken? The big CRACK noise was a pretty good inital indication. After that, my entire leg was bruised, from my toes to my knee. Although I was flat out on my back, my right ankle was twisted around so as both my legs together looked like "lL". It was about 3 times the size it should have been, and when my dad lifted me up, and I accidently stood on it, I almost fainted from the pain.

The good news? The drugs in hospital are amazing. I was sedated while they fixed the dislocation, and I got all the lovely morphine after my operation. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I took a tumble in high heels. It didn't seem too bad when I was out, I got home & went to bed & the pain of it woke me up.
    Just got up there now & I'm limping bad. Very sore & very tender.
    I'm going to rest it up & see how it is tomorrow, I don't fancy a few hours wait in a hospital to be told its a bad sprain.

To be honest, I doubt you would be hobbling around on it if it was broken. Keep ice on it, rest it, elevate it and compress it if you have anything. You probably be better off having an xray on it though just to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Sprained 4 ligaments in my ankle playing a football match. Cause we had no subs I played on for the remaining 85 minutes of the match. Went home, did not leave my house for 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks I could hobble around and get on with my business. After 3 months with the pain still there I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with the sprain on 4 of my ankle ligaments. He said I should have been put in a cast as soon as it happened, but it was too late now that I could walk about. He sent me to the physio, prescribed painkillers and anti-inflammatories.

Any pain in my ankle did not go away for another 9 months. A year of pain. And a year of not being able to exercise properly. My adivce is to take some neurofen and see the doctor as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

If you are in pain and you can't walk on it you have gas gangrene, you need to be fitted with a wooden ankle.

Your cruel friends will call you peg leg, just be prepared for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

it sounds like Gout... if you woke up in the middle of the night with an inflamed ankle, and dont remember hurting it, it is probably gout. Tylenol will help it, you will also see alot of references to baking soda online. Gout is a build up of Uric acid in system, what can trigger it is alcohol (especially beer), anchovies, tuna, red meat, pork, etc.. anything high in purines avoid. The ankle will get less painful in a day or two, you will need to avoid beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I tore ligaments in my ankle a few months ago after going over on it with a few pints in me. Couldn't walk on it, couldn't move it, and really did think it must've been broken or something. Was woken up several times most nights with the pain.

Doc just gave me some anti-inflammatories to take and told me to take solpadeine as needed for the pain, and just keep it elevated and iced for the swelling.

You will need to stay on crutches for a couple of weeks. Don't do like I did and think it was ok without crutches too soon. The pain was unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The best way to find out is to go to the hospital. They'll take a magic picture called and 'X-Ray' and tell you whether it's broken or not. As a bonus, they'll even put it in a cast and give you painkillers if it is broken. Problem solved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Go to A and E

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

kylith wrote: »
    The best way to find out is to go to the hospital. They'll take a magic picture called and 'X-Ray' and tell you whether it's broken or not. As a bonus, they'll even put it in a cast and give you painkillers if it is broken. Problem solved!

Woah hold on there science boy and less of your nerd babble about exer rays on this thread.

He getting some excellent medical advice on this thread, without your mad science stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Terminal boneitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Go to a professional for medical advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement