Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Here! Very Curious about Ireland! :D

Options
  • 01-09-2012 7:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Howdy everyone!

I just happened to run past this whole website and just found out it was an Ireland based site! Can some people tell me about Dublin and just just everything! I find it very interesting learning about different cities! I'll start first and then maybe we could go back and forth asking questions! Do people in Ireland actually say "Top of the morning to you lad!" I hear it a lot but is it really true?? I live in Dallas, Texas if anyone knows where that is! Or as you guys call it, "The States!" haha

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have been to Dallas during the summer of 2004 and found it very hot - about 40 degrees. I went to the JFK museum which was excellent. I saw JFK when he visited Dublin in 1963. He was in an open top car and was close enough to touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PGA2020

Thats awesome! And yes, I have pretty much gotten use to the heat but last summer was the hottest in history! We reached 39 days STRAIGHT above 100 degrees! It was insane! I still haven't checked out that JFK museum! I have driven past where he was shot all the time though! Thats just a usual down-town street!

So im a very curious person! What is the weather like there??? Mid 90's or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Its -22C right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

PGA2020 wrote: »
    Howdy everyone!

I just happened to run past this whole website and just found out it was an Ireland based site! Can some people tell me about Dublin and just just everything! I find it very interesting learning about different cities! I'll start first and then maybe we could go back and forth asking questions! Do people in Ireland actually say "Top of the morning to you lad!" I hear it a lot but is it really true?? I live in Dallas, Texas if anyone knows where that is! Or as you guys call it, "The States!" haha

Thanks!
    i am not irish but i spend a lot of time in ireland,from a tourist point of view i can tell you they are some of the nicest people on the planet,very laid back and welcoming,dublin itself is like many a big city around the world,OK for the odd weekend to visit,but i you really want to see ireland and meet people get out of the city and tour,some of the sights are breath taking, ,i may get some stick for this post,but thats my take on it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Howdy everyone!

Thanks!

Welcome to Boards PGA!

No we don't actually say Top of the Morning to you! It's kind of cheesy :)

Some men do address each other as lad but they tend to be younger men and friends with each other, it would be an informal fun greeting as such.

Any plans to visit Ireland/Dublin PGA?! I think you would like it.

• Advertisement

The weather in ireland is neither very cold nor very hot. But one thing we have in abundance is rain! It tends to be raining a lot. But not a heavy rain, just a drizzle of grey rain.

So bring your rain jacket when you come! Or else you might just have to stay in the pubs all day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Howdy everyone!

Thanks!

We don't need to write Dallas, Texas either....we actually know where cities, states, countries etc are on this planet. Don't mention religion...this is more or less a secular state. Practice driving stick shift, hire a car when you are over here and get out of the city for a day or so. Do buy a round or two in a pub. Don't be loud and crass. It's better to keep your mouth shut and be presumed an idiot than open it and remove all doubt. Spend a day watching European news channels. It will open your mind. Don't mention Israel and absolutely do not mention the US presidential race. Irish people probably know more about it than you....unless you are a Democrat, then its cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

It is quite cool at the moment about 14 degrees - I don't know what that is in fahrenheit but I would guess about 50+. We did not have much summer weather this year.

I was staying in east Texas - about 100 miles east of Dallas - and the lady of the house used carry a gun in the glovebox of her car. I don't know if she ever used it but she was prepared to. Ireland is not the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

joolsveer wrote: »
    It is quite cool at the moment about 14 degrees - I don't know what that is in fahrenheit but I would guess about 50+. We did not have much summer weather this year.

I was staying in east Texas - about 100 miles east of Dallas - and the lady of the house used carry a gun in the glovebox of her car. I don't know if she ever used it but she was prepared to. Ireland is not the same!

We are different. We believe in let the opposition know what they are going to get so we carry our weapons exposed and ready for a quick draw.

"
    We are different. We believe in opposition know what they are going to get so we carry our weapons exposed and ready for a quick draw."

Where are you Luca?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

amdublin wrote: »
    "
    We are different. We believe in opposition know what they are going to get so we carry our weapons exposed and ready for a quick draw."

Where are you Luca?

Luca Brasi is sleeping with the fishies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

greenpilot wrote: »
    We don't need to write Dallas, Texas either....we actually know where cities, states, countries etc are on this planet. Don't mention religion...this is more or less a secular state. Practice driving stick shift, hire a car when you are over here and get out of the city for a day or so. Do buy a round or two in a pub. Don't be loud and crass. It's better to keep your mouth shut and be presumed an idiot than open it and remove all doubt. Spend a day watching European news channels. It will open your mind. Don't mention Israel and absolutely do not mention the US presidential race. Irish people probably know more about it than you....unless you are a Democrat, then its cool.

What an arrogant post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Einhard wrote: »
    What an arrogant post.

I'm going to change your post slightly .

With all due respect ' What a very arrogant post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056615361
    Is this a rehash of a recent thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

mattjack wrote: »
    Einhard wrote: »
    What an arrogant post.

I'm going to change your post slightly .

With all due respect ' What a very arrogant post.
    Yeah? Well when you live in a tourist town and have to listen to the pure ignorance some, and I do stress, some Americans portray about the rest of the world, you would understand. We did a tour of the east coast of the states with a band over a few months and it was shocking the arrogance that was leveled towards us, being in "the greatest country in the world and all" . A year later we invited one of the younger bands back to Ireland for a tour None of them had ever been out of their state before, (Virginia), and , upon landing, were surprised we had running water.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeah? Well when you live in a tourist town and have to listen to the pure ignorance some, and I do stress, some Americans portray about the rest of the world, you would understand. We did a tour of the east coast of the states with a band over a few months and it was shocking the arrogance that was leveled towards us, being in "the greatest country in the world and all" . A year later we invited one of the younger bands back to Ireland for a tour None of them had ever been out of their state before, (Virginia), and , upon landing, were surprised we had running water.

That may be the case but why be an arsehole to some random person on here posting asking genuine questions?

Not all Americans are the same just as not all Irish fit into our stereotype either, manners and politeness cost you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Howdy everyone!

Thanks!

As has been said op none of us say top of the morning, although it is a stereotype we sometimes like to poke fun at. If you have any other questions about Dublin or Ireland as whole feel free to ask :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Dallas Cowboys suck! :P

I'm guessing from your username and your thread in golf forum that you are mad into the golf

No better country in the world then Ireland for that :cool:

Dublin is grand but don't do what many do which is stay in Dublin for their entire time.
    Hire a car and get out exploring.

Head west my good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

you won't find any oil here ya crafty bollix

Hahaha! Wow, have i started something!!! Yes, i have heard much of were "full of our selves, we only know one language, blah, blah, blah!" But if you get to know us, were not all stuck up! And yes, i know, the cowboys suck, hahaha, not the first time ive heard that one before! Don't kill me yet about some of these questions because not everyone knows EVERYTHING about Ireland! :) Same thing for you, you, probably don't know everything about the US either. Is there pretty much a "pub" on every corner? And also, what percent of you have been over to the US before? And i can't believe how cold it is there! I today its around 37 degrees celsius! Which really isn't that bad for a September day!

• Advertisement

Yeah today was a good day weather wise.

Yeah there is pretty much a pub on every corner. The craic is mighty :)

I don't know the percentage of us who've visited the states. I've been about six times myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Hahaha! Wow, have i started something!!! Yes, i have heard much of were "full of our selves, we only know one language, blah, blah, blah!" But if you get to know us, were not all stuck up! And yes, i know, the cowboys suck, hahaha, not the first time ive heard that one before! Don't kill me yet about some of these questions because not everyone knows EVERYTHING about Ireland! :) Same thing for you, you, probably don't know everything about the US either. Is there pretty much a "pub" on every corner? And also, what percent of you have been over to the US before? And i can't believe how cold it is there! I today its around 37 degrees celsius! Which really isn't that bad for a September day!

Ignore the haters on this thread, most Americans I've met have been polite and friendly.:)

There's an abundance of pubs alright, often more pubs than shops in some of the smaller villages/towns in the countryside. You're spoiled for choice when it comes to drinking establishments. It is more expensive in Dublin for drink compared to the rest of the country (not only drink, expensive for a lot of things). So maybe, get out of Dublin and go to Cork city/county or perhaps Galway/The West.

I'd say a good deal of people would have visited the States at some stage. I have, and I'd say most of the youngish people (18-35) that I know,would have as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Greenpilot, stop trying to scare off potential tourists. We don't all hate Americans - the majority of Irish people hold Americans in high regard. So cut out the nonsense.

PGA - we'd be happy to have you visit Ireland. But I'd say to get out of Dublin, and visit the smaller towns and cities.. They are far more scenic, and operate at a slower pace... Ireland's weather is quite cold in contrast to Texas. But just dress for the weather and it won't matter.

All the best!

Wow! Thats very cool! I would have never of guessed that most of you guys come over here! I still have yet to meet some one from Ireland! Maybe it's just because Texas it pretty far "in" the country. Next question: Do you think that most of Ireland is the same (land, people, accent, food)? I know in the US that there are many many different parts of the country that are very different. Dallas is a whole ton different than New York City, and New York City is a whole ton different than Miami, and thats a whole ton different that Los Angeles, and so on. Sorry about the weird time difference, its almost 3 in the afternoon here and its probably pretty late there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wow! Thats very cool! I would have never of guessed that most of you guys come over here! I still have yet to meet some one from Ireland! Maybe it's just because Texas it pretty far "in" the country. Next question: Do you think that most of Ireland is the same (land, people, accent, food)? I know in the US that there are many many different parts of the country that are very different. Dallas is a whole ton different than New York City, and New York City is a whole ton different than Miami, and thats a whole ton different that Los Angeles, and so on. Sorry about the weird time difference, its almost 3 in the afternoon here and its probably pretty late there!
    Irish people are afraid of Texans, with all your guns and oil and big horns on the front of yo pick up trucks. I'd like to go there but I'm afraid someone will challenge me to a game of chicken using tractors.

Also, I don't own a stetson or a pair of cowboy boots, so I'd feel out of place.

I've been to New York though, that's awesome, you should move there.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Most Irish people would visit the coastal areas on summer working trips or on hols, New York, Florida, Boston, San Fran, LA, San Diego etc etc and maybe places like Chicago and Vegas too.

Ireland is quiet varied accent and people wise, especially city to country a bit like you but less. As Ireland is so small we arent as differentiated as most people get to all other parts of Ireland often enough, or travel for college or work. A 4 hour drive or so gets you most places from anywhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

The accent differs across the country, as does the land but the people and the food are pretty much the same. Also it's not very late here only 20:55 most of us will be here for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Food would be largely the same...it's a small island. But accents vary a lot though. Even just in Dublin, there would be a couple of different Dublin accents. Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Midlands, Northen accents, West-they are all noticeably different, though not sure how much so to a foreigner.

The midlands would be flat, with the coast usually having the mountains and hills. Generally, the counties that are on the coast are popular due to them having the major cities and can be very scenic as they have varied landscape.

I better not get into talking about the people in different areas cause there could be uproar.:) You'll have to form your own opinion on them.:)

Irish people are afraid of Texans, with all your guns and oil and big horns on the front of yo pick up trucks. I'd like to go there but I'm afraid someone will challenge me to a game of chicken using tractors.

Also, I don't own a stetson or a pair of cowboy boots, so I'd feel out of place.

I've been to New York though, that's awesome, you should move there.

That's funny because most people think that we "get on our horse in the morning and saddle on in to town to pick up a few veggies from the market and stuff! Then we all sing around the campfire and go to sleep in our little tee pee as we travel across the land!" Maybe about .5% of us, maybe less, farm! Though i do live walking distance from big fields of long horns and cattle. But most people do. Were not all big and mean, haha, and i dont have a tractor, not do i know of someone that owns a tractor! I find it very interesting! Do any of you guys happen to have any questions for me?!?!?!? Ask me anything, not offended at all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah? Well when you live in a tourist town and have to listen to the pure ignorance some blah blah blah blah blah blah blah... did I mention I'm in a band and we toured around the place? Rock'n'roll, yeah baby

Give us a break greenpilot! Most Americans I meet abroad, be it Europe, Africa, Indonesia etc.. are resourceful and very well educated people and great company when traveling.

PGA2020 welcome to the Dublin City forum, apologies for the silly comments. Ireland is diverse enough, Dublin is a fairly busy and vibrant city, a few hours in a car and you could be in the wilds of Kerry with some of the worlds most impressive scenery, fishing, wildlife, surf etc. Weirdly, the accent changes MASSIVELY from area to area. I see you're quiet young and in to golf, I'd buy a map of Europe and decide what courses you want to play on and start saving! Europe is shockingly diverse, a cheapish two hour flight can land you in a place that contrasts so much from where you have been it's amazing.

Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement