Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need. Sleep.

Options
  • 01-09-2012 8:47am

Junior is nearly 2 now, he never sleeps past 5:30 AM. He only has a 1.5 hour sleep in the late morning and goes to bed around 8:00, but wakes up every day at around 5:00 - 5:30 and is ready to go.

He is extremely active very high energy.

Has anyone any idea of any way to make him sleep in. Wife and I are trying for another but at this stage I don't think I want another one because I'm so damn tired ALL the time.

He is a very good child otherwise, great fun and very happy. Just doesn't seem to need sleep.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

This happened with my son though he still wakes now at 6.30-7 he goes to bed around 7, hes 3 now i cut out the sleep during the day that your talking about and kept him busy if he got tired id bring him outside for fresh air, sleeps great now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Had a similar issue with my 2yo so I cut his nap to half an hour and started letting him stay up a bit longer. Sleeps in most mornings till after 8

Even when he goes to bed exhausted he will still be up as usual. It's going on over six months at this stage. Will try and cut down his morning sleep to no more than an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Have you got black out blinds in his room? It could be the brightness waking him? The dark mornings might solve it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Even when he goes to bed exhausted he will still be up as usual. It's going on over six months at this stage. Will try and cut down his morning sleep to no more than an hour.

Just on this... You may not remember yourself, back BC (before Children) when you had the chance at a lie in, or were out late, you woke up at the same time the next morning anyway. Night shift is a doozy for this. It takes a few nights of the lates to establish a new sleep pattern in us all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Take him out to a park and let him run! Wear off some of that energy. Hope you're not too tired to run after him though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

My sister was having a similar problem with her son, he was always waking up around 3.00 am every night.

She went away on a break down the country and he didn't wake at 3am.

She realised when she got home that there were seagulls/birds waking him at 3am.

Could there be something similar where you live or is there something or someone waking him at this time maybe a neighbour leaving for work?

Just a thought.

Hope you get some proper sleep soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Put him to bed later. People seem to be locked into this idea that 8pm Is Bedtime for some reason, it makes no sense at all. My 1yo goes to bed at 10pm most nights and wakes up at 9am most mornings. Of course it would be nice to get more of our evenings together, but I think we'd prefer the sleep, thanks all the same....

We'll probably need to adjust his bedtime now he's going for full days in the creche, but we'll just move his bedtime back over a few days and he'll be fine. They're incredibly pliable, sure our fella wanted to go to bed at 9 the other day because we had dinner early and It Must Be Bedtime By Now!

And, as others have suggested, cut the naps and wear them out. Our fella can't be allowed more than 2 hours total or he won't sleep properly, and an hour outside works wonders. At 2 they're getting to just the right age for challenges: How many times can you walk up and down the road? :)

Advertisement