Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Repair shop recommendations

• 01-09-2012 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I have a Dell laptop that got a blue screen and wont start up.

Any recommendations of a good repair shop in Dublin.

There is a lot of personal stuff on the laptop that I need off it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I have a Dell laptop that got a blue screen and wont start up.

Any recommendations of a good repair shop in Dublin.

There is a lot of personal stuff on the laptop that I need off it. Thanks

Remove the harddrive from machine. Purchase an external case, you can get these in maplin probably pc world. Place the harddrive into the external case and connect it to another pc. Now you can copy the important data.

Put the hard drive back in and format that sucker

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shogun1

Tko, That seems a bit much for a blue screen problem.Real world can you tell more about the problem?When did it happen etc? Did you install any new hardware/software.Does it let you get into Safe mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

I'd agree with TKO, while it might be possible to fix the blue screen usually it's not worth the time or effort.

I've wasted many hours trying to fix "blue screens of death" or with windows 7, we have the "black screen of nothing" as I like to call it :rolleyes:

shogun1 wrote: »
    Tko, That seems a bit much for a blue screen problem.Real world can you tell more about the problem?When did it happen etc? Did you install any new hardware/software.Does it let you get into Safe mode?

I know you can troubleshoot from the OP's current situation but if he is thinking about repair shops I would invest in the external housing (handy piece of kit to have around) and do the job myself.

Obviously I would put some time into fixing the problem but for some people a clean install is the best way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Some people do not have the time, the nerves or the skills to deal with such a problem. Sure, most of us regular posters here know how to do it in a breeze but the OP apparently was not interested in geek talk, hence the question for a decent repair shop. ;)

It may not even be necessary to remove the HDD: connect an external HDD, boot a live operating system from CD, backup the data (burning on DVD is also an option if you don't have an external drive handy) and restore/reinstall the OS, no biggie. But as I said before, not everyone is technically versed enough for what seems an easy enough task for others. That's why computer repair shops exist, you know. ;)

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Some people do not have the time, the nerves or the skills to deal with such a problem. Sure, most of us regular posters here know how to do it in a breeze but the OP apparently was not interested in geek talk, hence the question for a decent repair shop. ;)

It may not even be necessary to remove the HDD: connect an external HDD, boot a live operating system from CD, backup the data (burning on DVD is also an option if you don't have an external drive handy) and restore/reinstall the OS, no biggie. But as I said before, not everyone is technically versed enough for what seems an easy enough task for others. That's why computer repair shops exist, you know. ;)

.. and then he said boot a live CD :D

T-K-O wrote: »
    .. and then he said boot a live CD :D

That was for the geeks who complicate things unnecessarily . ;)

Torqay wrote: »
    That was for the geeks who complicate things unnecessarily . ;)

Stay on point, damn is there no mod around these parts :D

T-K-O wrote: »
    Stay on point, damn is there no mod around these parts :D

Ok, on topic...

The thread is 24 hours old and not one "good repair shop in Dublin" has yet been recommended. Sad state of affairs. :D

To be honest im with Torgay on this on.The Question was "Any recommendations of a good repair shop in Dublin?" Even my advice about safe mode was wrong,also if you dont know much about computers messing about when you have important data is to big a risk.I'm not from Dublin so cant help with the shop question.But try to stay away from pc world.They charge over the top.Sorry im not more helpful than that.Best of luck

• Advertisement

To be honest im with Torgay on this on.The Question was "Any recommendations of a good repair shop in Dublin?" Even my advice about safe mode was wrong,also if you dont know much about computers messing about when you have important data is to big a risk.I'm not from Dublin so cant help with the shop question.But try to stay away from pc world.They charge over the top.Sorry im not more helpful than that.Best of luck

I from Dublin and to be honest I do not know of a good repair shop and from reading threads on boards most people tend to have a negative view of 'Computer Repair Shops'

I know what your saying t-k-o.I'm in cork and must of them are rip offs. If anyone from cork is reading this Pc services in cork city is the best one( Dont worry I dont work for them!!!)

I know what your saying t-k-o.I'm in cork and must of them are rip offs. If anyone from cork is reading this Pc services in cork city is the best one( Dont worry I dont work for them!!!)

Now to be fair I would not be looking for one. However like I said before a lot of people seem to have negative attitudes towards these shops.

It's a fairly easy business to set up and chance your arm at.

The OP should retrieve the data himself the hard drive is probably the easiest component to remove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Wheres Karsini when ya want him?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Real_World?

Thanks for the comments.

The laptop has failed to restart in safe mode. I have attached photo of the error message.

The error occurred back in November last year. But I had another laptop which I could use so never looked to get it fixed before now.

I had hoped there was a good reputable computer repair shop in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

This Guy used to be reliable but he's mobile rather than a shop, cant seem to find phone no. I'll have a root and see if I can find his no.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

I can recommend the guys in Lucan Computers, beside the Garda station...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

that bluescreen maybe memory, if you have 2 ram modules in your laptop, take out one, and see if machine boots up. then test with other module to see which one is bad.
    if its inconclusive, download memtest and burn to cd, bootup the cd with memtest and it will check for errors.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Thanks for the comments.

The laptop has failed to restart in safe mode. I have attached photo of the error message.

The error occurred back in November last year. But I had another laptop which I could use so never looked to get it fixed before now.

I had hoped there was a good reputable computer repair shop in Dublin.

If your in the city centre, I can take a look at it for you. I've no shop tho

Advertisement