Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house training 1 yr old dog

• 01-09-2012 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭

Advice welcome... a month ago we rehomed a 1 year old terrier who hadn't lived indoors before. He's adjusted to family life very well, walks well on the lead, sleeps all night, playful, sits on command but he just isn't getting the idea of going outside to pee. We have successfully housetrained dogs before using a crate and doing the "outside every 2 hours" routine etc but it just hasn't worked with this dog. If the kitchen door is left open all day he will go outside but once winter arrives I'm not going to leave the door open all the time.

He doesn't give any warning that he's going to do something, no pacing around or going to the door etc. I always clean up after him using a mixture of water & vinegar so that no scent is left behind and he doesn't return to the same spot to pee so I know it isn't the scent that he's responding to.

I'd welcome any tips or advice you can offer!

Advertisement