Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Support The War In Afghanistan??

• 01-09-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Do you support the war in Afghanistan currently going on supported by NATO forces??

The initial goal was invade and overthrow the Taliban in Afghanistan who were provding a safe haven for Al Qaeda and Bin Laden. Its worth noting that the Taliban did not cause 9/11, nor did they have anything to do with it. The main objective as I say was to capture Bin Laden and destroy Al Qaeda. That objective is now done, so can someone please tell me why NATO are still in Afghanistan for? With over 100,000 ground troops still deployed? :confused:

American intelligence estimates there are less than 50 Al Qaeda members in Afghanistan, most them have left and are elsewhere in the world, which makes the "war" more astonishing IMO.

To suggest that if troops pull out of Afghanistan means another 9/11 is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've heard. Given that majority of the planning for 9/11 was actually done in places like Spain, Germany, the UK, and even yes the US (where they learned to fly/land), proves Afghanistan wasn't really that relevant in 9/11 tbh. Heck 15 out of the 19 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia, we could have made an argument to invade them if we wanted. :eek:

I'm under the assumption the war and its supporters are backed by people who support invading Afghanistan by providing freedom and democracy and allowing to live a more westernised lifestyle. Reading the story regarding the Taliban beheading is disturbing, but can anything be actually done about it? Invading these countries by force engaging in war only accumulates the death toll even more. I mean think about the amount of children killed by US drone strikes and other aerial attacks?

NATO are looking for an end to the war with the vast majority of troops being withdrawn by 2014 (although there's now rumours that special American forces will stay till 2024).

Anyway clearly I'm not a supporter of the Afghanistan war so I just want to know if anyone supports it and what are your reasons for supporting it. :)

Do You Support The Current War In Afghanistan?? 44 votes

Yes and as many troops should stay as possible post 2014
    0% 0 votes
    Yes however a withdrawl timetable should be by provided by NATO
    59% 26 votes
    No all troops should leave immediately its completely pointless
    40% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I support my legs, cos they support me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

They have no business being there,either way the country is fuked.
    You can't change them and they don't want to be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I don't really understand it but I thought the basic idea was "Bin Laden makes a video claiming he was responsible; logically America invades to get him. He's dead now." Is it a sort of "pride" thing or something that they're still trying to root out the last members?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It might have something to do with the fact that Afghanistan has massive oil and mineral reserves and it also borders one of the only "free" countries left in Asia/Middle East - Iran. When I say "free" what I mean is a country that is not (yet) either occupied by US forces or friendly and suppliant to US interests. Only Syria, China and Russia remain "free" in the eastern hemisphere.

Afghanistan is not a western country. Trying to stamp, with a bloody jackboot, western values onto a third-world, incredily poverty stricken and deeply devout Muslim country will not work. When the US finally do pull out, the puppet government they install will eventually be toppled by the Taliban, just like the Soviets puppet government eventually crumbled.

I am all for democracy, women's rights and peace, but the tactics and strategy employed by the US and NATO or "Coalition of the Willing" will never work in Afghanistan. And truly, it's not something that ultimately the Pentagon or the White House cares about. They wanted those resource rich former Soviet and Soviet sphere central Asian countries to be on their side of the table, all those countries that are hard to spell like Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Krygistan. They have bases in all these countries and "friendly" governments there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There is no oil or gas in Afghanistan and the mineral deposits are limited to gem stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Where's the No but the troops should stay option.

I'm against it. But I think as long as they're there they should try to do some good and bring some stability to the place.

I'd like an option of 'No but they're there now so it's their responsibility to get the country back on its legs'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

The way i see it Afghanistan can make a perfectly good case for invading America, Built on much stronger logic than that used be america to invade them in the first place.
    However if they done that there would be a worldwide public outcry and they would be labled as terrorist (presuming that they would be able to which they wouldn't).
    My question then is why isn't the American troops in Afghanistan labled as terrorist? I dont see much difference between the american troops in Afghanistan and 'terrorists cells' except that American troops tend to have alot more support from polititions and the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I didn't vote.
    I was dead against the war all along, as I was against the Iraq war, but now I feel they should stay until the country is made safe, they made the mess, they clean it up.
    I fear though, that whatever is done there that Afghanistan is doomed to live in the stone age for a long time to come.

Well, anyway,
    I'm off to have a big mad fry up and plan tonights drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

no not anymore.it was justified after 9/11 and they succeeded in breaking up the terrorist network and training camps in the country,but they simply moved on to other countries.its high time now for a complete withdrawl before any more young men are maimed or killed needlessly

There is no oil or gas in Afghanistan and the mineral deposits are limited to gem stones.

"The country's natural resources include: coal, copper, iron ore, lithium, uranium, rare earth elements, chromite, gold, zinc, talc, barites, sulfur, lead, marble, precious and semi-precious stones, natural gas, and petroleum among other things. In 2010, US and Afghan government officials estimated that untapped mineral deposits located in 2007 by the US Geological Survey are worth between $900 bn and $3 trillion" - taken from Wikipedia. I've also read a few articles in papers like the Guardian about it but a quick search of the site wasn't enough to bring up the relevant article, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Augmerson wrote: »
    "The country's natural resources include: coal, copper, iron ore, lithium, uranium, rare earth elements, chromite, gold, zinc, talc, barites, sulfur, lead, marble, precious and semi-precious stones, natural gas, and petroleum among other things. In 2010, US and Afghan government officials estimated that untapped mineral deposits located in 2007 by the US Geological Survey are worth between $900 bn and $3 trillion" - taken from Wikipedia. I've also read a few articles in papers like the Guardian about it but a quick search of the site wasn't enough to bring up the relevant article, sorry.
    looks like the yanks will stick around then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The way i see it Afghanistan can make a perfectly good case for invading America, .

It's been done already. Some terrorist woman organised it
    http://zerode.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/mousethatroared09.jpg

Am I right in thinking the soviet invasion was partly because of an oil pipline dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

'The U.S.’s total combined resource value is $45 trillion.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Yes I hope the Goodies rescue those heroin producers from the Taliban

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

But whats important to us & the rest of the West (or oil & gas users) are the piplines travelling through the country carrying gas & oil from (X) easten block countries....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Nobody cares what you think. Or what I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

What amazes me is that America spends billions on their military but fail in providing basic healthcare for the poorest of their citizens.

• Advertisement

czx wrote: »
    'The U.S.’s total combined resource value is $45 trillion.'

Am I right in believing the point you are trying to make here is that the US doesn't need any more fossil fuels or other resources because it has so much of it's own?

Well, if so, it's a very valid point, but I'd put this out there. How much resources does the US consume? If the following figure is anything to go by, it's ALOT.

"The United States consumed a total of 7.0 billion barrels (19.18 million barrels per day) of refined petroleum products and biofuels in 2010 and 6.87 billion barrels (18.83 million barrels per day) in 2011. For both years, this was about 22% of total world petroleum consumption." - taken from EIA.Gov.

Old statistics yes, but if anything, those figures have grown since 2011. Energy security is a major part of US planning and strategy. They might have huge resources of their own now, but they are finite. Access and control of other resources is definitely needed. The next part is taken from Wikipedia but is reliable -

"Michael O'Hanlon of the Brookings Institution explains that if Afghanistan generates about $10 bn per year from its mineral deposits, its gross national product would double and provide long-term funding for Afghan security forces and other critical needs.The United States Geological Survey (USGS) estimated in 2006 that northern Afghanistan has an average 2.9 billion (bn) barrels (bbl) of crude oil, 15.7 trillion cubic feet (440 bn m3) of natural gas, and 562 million bbl of natural gas liquids."

Even if the US doesn't begin to take these resources out of Afghanistan for it's own needs, it's an incredible amount of resources to be effectively in control of. Now, there are major costs as to how to extract the oil and gas, and there are already major security costs due to the war, but if Afghanistan could be turned into a resource producer, it would be extremely wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

Am I right in believing the point you are trying to make here is that the US doesn't need any more fossil fuels or other resources because it has so much of it's own?

Well, if so, it's a very valid point, but I'd put this out there. How much resources does the US consume? If the following figure is anything to go by, it's ALOT.

"The United States consumed a total of 7.0 billion barrels (19.18 million barrels per day) of refined petroleum products and biofuels in 2010 and 6.87 billion barrels (18.83 million barrels per day) in 2011. For both years, this was about 22% of total world petroleum consumption." - taken from EIA.Gov.

Old statistics yes, but if anything, those figures have grown since 2011. Energy security is a major part of US planning and strategy. They might have huge resources of their own now, but they are finite. Access and control of other resources is definitely needed. The next part is taken from Wikipedia but is reliable -

"Michael O'Hanlon of the Brookings Institution explains that if Afghanistan generates about $10 bn per year from its mineral deposits, its gross national product would double and provide long-term funding for Afghan security forces and other critical needs.The United States Geological Survey (USGS) estimated in 2006 that northern Afghanistan has an average 2.9 billion (bn) barrels (bbl) of crude oil, 15.7 trillion cubic feet (440 bn m3) of natural gas, and 562 million bbl of natural gas liquids."

Even if the US doesn't begin to take these resources out of Afghanistan for it's own needs, it's an incredible amount of resources to be effectively in control of. Now, there are major costs as to how to extract the oil and gas, and there are already major security costs due to the war, but if Afghanistan could be turned into a resource producer, it would be extremely wealthy.

Enough for Afghanistan to yield a poor ROI. Northern Afghanistan has enough crude to last the US half a year at current consumption levels?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The initial goal was invade and overthrow the Taliban in Afghanistan who were provding a safe haven for Al Qaeda and Bin Laden.

The used that as a way of getting the country behind them, but in reality, Bin Laden, Al Qaeda or 9/11 had very little to do with it.

czx wrote: »
    Enough for Afghanistan to yield a poor ROI. Northern Afghanistan has enough crude to last the US half a year at current consumption levels?!

That's not how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

Grayson wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the soviet invasion was partly because of an oil pipline dispute?

No the Soviets were very reluctant to get involved in Afghanistan. They were repeatedly asked by the Marxist Afghan government throughout late '78 and early '79 to send in troops to help combat the Mujahideen in the north of the country. Initially they sent advisors, then some individual crews but it was only when it looked like Kabul itself might fall did they formulate a large scale intervention, and even then with the agreement of the Afghan regime. It was all political; as the Communist nation(s) the Soviets couldn't be seen to abandon a fellow ideologue in need right on their doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

In Osama's last interview with Robert Fisk he said the war will bankrupt america like the Afghanistan war bankrupted the Soviet Empire.

I don't know how I feel about the war, it has destabilised Pakistan who are a nuclear power with the means to deploy them anywhere on the planet.

I think now that they are in the war, they can't walk away because of Pakistan, but the Taliban have probably won this already.

It's one of those wars that the retard Bush shouldn't have started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

No!!

Spurs all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Support it? I do what i can, but i feel like its never enough

Colmustard wrote: »
    In Osama's last interview with Robert Fisk he said the war will bankrupt america like the Afghanistan war bankrupted the Soviet Empire.

I don't know how I feel about the war, it has destabilised Pakistan who are a nuclear power with the means to deploy them anywhere on the planet.

I think now that they are in the war, they can't walk away because of Pakistan, but the Taliban have probably won this already.

It's one of those wars that the retard Bush shouldn't have started.

Do you really believe that the Taliban and or Al Qeada would have left Pakistan alone?

• Advertisement

megafan wrote: »

But whats important to us & the rest of the West (or oil & gas users) are the piplines travelling through the country carrying gas & oil from (X) easten block countries....

That's right, an oil pipeline from Siberia to the US can only possibly go through Afghanistan........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

No, I absolutely do not support it nor the action towards Iraq.

It's hard to call it a "war", also, seeing as it was an invasion by a foreign nation and those who fought back were just defending their own homes and lives from the invaders.

The whole thing disgusts me and I hold it against the countries involved, their leaders all the way down to those who continue to sign up to kill in the name of these brutal, corrupt forces.

ermahgerd wrote: »

It's hard to call it a "war", also, seeing as it was an invasion by a foreign nation and those who fought back were just defending their own homes and lives from the invaders.

The whole thing disgusts me and I hold it against the countries involved, their leaders all the way down to those who continue to sign up to kill in the name of these brutal, corrupt forces.

Completly agree

American troops with obama/bush at the helm are terrorist. Simple as in my opinion.
    The rest of the world should be condemning there actions and putting pressure on them to get out of there

You do realise that Ireland was one of the security council members that voted in favour of the UN resolution and also contributes to ISAF right?

Do you really believe that the Taliban and or Al Qeada would have left Pakistan alone?

They did for a long time and Pakistan could contain them. Everyone accuses the yanks of arming them and training them in the first place, not entirely true.

When the Yanks supplied them with aid to fight the Russians they did it though Pakistani mediums, they chose to give the most aid to the Pashtun ethnic group because that is the predominant ethnic group along the border with Pakistan its were the Pakistani's had their most contacts.

It just so happens the Pashtun were predominantly the Taliban, so Pakistan made them the most powerful group in Afghanistan. But now the reverse is happening. The Taliban are training, arming and emboldening the Pashtun in Pakistan, hence the mess.

So The US cannot fight a full action in Pakistan, but they do every now and again, they can only contain the Taliban in Afghanistan and try get the Pakistani government to deal with the Taliban in Pakistan and they are half heartening and even that effort is causing the instability, which may draw India into it.

Its a very dangerous part of the world. Its a mess, this is what happens when you put a monkey in the whitehouse, as in bush.

That's right, an oil pipeline from Siberia to the US can only possibly go through Afghanistan........

There might be a oil pipeline crossing the Bering sea from Russia to Alaska but I doubt the Americans would rely on it. Most of what is going on with pipelines these days is that they want to build them outside of Russian territory. The Russians bully other countries into doing what they want by shutting down oil and gas flow, I think this happened to the Ukraine not too long ago.

• Advertisement

Completly agree

American troops with obama/bush at the helm are terrorist. Simple as in my opinion.
    The rest of the world should be condoming there actions and putting pressure on them to get out of there

You mean the US and the other 41 nations (including Ireland) that make up ISAF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

Completly agree

The rest of the world should be condoming there actions and putting pressure on them to get out of there

Oh absolutely. The atrocities highlighted by wikileaks were rapidly brushed over and the US remain being seen as some sort of heroes for their actions.

All the while, they continue to not only control countries they have no business in, but have drones flying over other territory launching attacks on people they deem to be enemies and sentencing them to die, without any form of trial.

They are the world's terrorists and yet nobody wants to pip up and say "STOP" to them, for fear of having their eyes turned toward them. The UN are pushing on the US over the drone strikes and the US won't even give them an answer.

This is all public knowledge too and yet, they're STILL seen as some sort of freedom fighters. Hell, they've one of their warships docked off the side of Dublin at the moment!

It's unfortunate that the victor writes the history books, because the future should know what utter scum the US government and those that supported their military invasions were.
    You do realise that Ireland was one of the security council members that voted in favour of the UN resolution and also contributes to ISAF right?

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Completly agree

Either you don't know what 'condoning' means, or this is some new word play on the word condom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Pretty sure he means condemning.

I voted for the third option because there was no "No; however a reasonable exit plan should be put in place to ensure political stability survives after they have left" option.

elefant wrote: »
    Either you don't know what 'condoning' means, or this is some new word play on the word condom...

Sorry. Fixed it. I am a little retarded when if comes to spelling and grammer.
    You mean the US and the other 41 nations (including Ireland) that make up ISAF.
    Yes...

• Advertisement

later12 wrote: »
    Pretty sure he means condemning.

I voted for the third option because there was no "No; however a reasonable exit plan should be put in place to ensure political stability survives after they have left" option.

There will never be political stability there, it's not a country its more collection of warring and rival tribes occupying the same place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Colmustard wrote: »
    There will never be political stability there, it's not a country its more collection of warring and rival tribes occupying the same place.
    So was Ireland in the early Mediaeval period, and you could argue the same about many African countries today. Starting off with an inherently tribal society is not a permanent obstruction to peace or relative stability in itself/ by definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

A suitable strategy for peace would be a healthy dosing of Western consumerism. They need to invest in 24 hour televised commercial advertising, large shopping centers and sensible (but subtle) product placement in popular tv shows like 'Jalalabad Shore' and 'Pashtun Housewives'. The nurturing of their interest in material wealth will allow people to loosen their grip on cultural pursuits and tribal divisions, and become united under one government. Eventually terrorism will be shunned as people grow to accept the compromises they have made in exchange for peace.

later12 wrote: »
    So was Ireland in the early Mediaeval period, and you could argue the same about many African countries today. Starting off with an inherently tribal society is not a permanent obstruction to peace or relative stability in itself/ by definition.

Its been like that since the Mongolian bespoilt the place in the 12th century it never recovered, before that it was cultured advanced and stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Theres not enough war in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

The West needs to stop meddling in other Countries business. No one cares what happens over there except the do gooders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The West needs to stop meddling in other Countries business. No one cares what happens over there except the do gooders.

No one cares??
    So the Taliban go around beheading children and you think that's ok? We should leave them to it?
    Fúck no.
    They were right to deploy in the first place and they're right to stay there for as long as it takes to restore some order to the place.
    There's too many people in the world willing to stand by and watch as these atrocities take place all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Dean09 wrote: »
    No one cares??
    So the Taliban go around beheading children and you think that's ok? We should leave them to it?
    Fúck no.
    They were right to deploy in the first place and they're right to stay there for as long as it takes to restore some order to the place.
    There's too many people in the world willing to stand by and watch as these atrocities take place all over the world.

Let the baby have it's bottle...

Until they train a group of lads to fly 757s into skyscrapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

There was a chance of the Neocon fantasy of 'nation building' working shortly after 9/11. The world was mostly with the US when they invaded Afghanistan but the Bush administration was incompetent and started ****ing up from very early on by not financing winning the peace.
    The total value of American reconstruction aid to Afghanistan in the fiscal 2002 budget that the Congress approved amounted to $942.1 million. That was probably $500 million short of what was needed that year, but analysts might have argued that the country could not absorb more money at that time. The initial fiscal 2003 request, however, totaled just $151 million, with foreign military financing reduced to a laughable $1 million.

Bill Taylor, who was coordinating assistance to Afghanistan for the State Department, was outraged. He made his views clear in an unclassified e-mail distributed widely throughout the government: "Our request for FY 03 is $151 million. This is not serious. ... FMF goes from $57 million to $1 million? On this we train the ANA [Afghan National Army] next year?. . . [the] FY 03 OHDACA [overseas humanitarian, disaster, and civic aid-a DOD program] request of $12 million had been reduced to $6 million ... can this be right? ... Zal [Khalilzad] is here and I just showed him the chart[listing the FY 03 request]. His response was the right one: `You're not serious.'"

foreignpolicy.com

There are a number of reasons for the US/Western occupation of Afghanistan.

Full spectrum dominance of the US military.

Neocon nation building experiment.

Encirclement Iran.

Resource/territory control.

• Advertisement
Advertisement