Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Support The War In Afghanistan??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Until they train a group of lads to fly 757s into skyscrapers.

If you've anyone to be getting annoyed at you should be getting annoyed with the British elite for sending your fellow countrymen out to Afghanistan to be slaughtered and maimed for obtuse reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

There was a chance of the Neocon fantasy of 'nation building' working shortly after 9/11. The world was mostly with the US when they invaded Afghanistan but the Bush administration was incompetent and started ****ing up from very early on by not financing winning the peace.

There are a number of reasons for the US/Western occupation of Afghanistan.

Full spectrum dominance of the US military.

Neocon nation building experiment.

Encirclement Iran.

Resource/territory control.

I doubt it, that seems tinhat stuff. One thing I am sure, America want out.

Besides you don't have troops lined up on Irans border like you have in Korea. What you have are bases, both big and small. As for resources why bother take them when you can trade for them at a tiny fraction of the price. War its a very expensive business and is breaking America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Until they train a group of lads to fly 757s into skyscrapers.

Any country that allies itself with that old rascal Israel, is destined to become a target of Arab hatred, and rightly so in my opinion. While terrorism is a pretty bent form of retaliation, it was probably the only warfare they could wage. Two wrongs don't make a right, but lets face it, there's absolutely no amount of diplomacy that will make Israel change their ways. The whole thing would be laughable except for the horrific cost the innocent have payed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you've anyone to be getting annoyed at you should be getting annoyed with the British elite for sending your fellow countrymen out to Afghanistan to be slaughtered and maimed for obtuse reasons.

To be honest, I'm more annoyed with security council members voting to send young men and women to war, but who don't have the balls to send their own.

The Irish army should be in Afghanistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I deplore any US evoked wars and that would include many since the end of WW2. What really makes me sick is that the US government treats their war Veterans as human garbage after they have"served" their country..

I lived there for two years and it was quite common to see veterans in wheelchairs and crutches with loss of limbs pan handling on the streets.

It seems that now since the Al Qaeda boogeyman mantra is finally wearing itself out, the latest up and coming domestic "terrorist" in America is to its very own war veterans.

With the help of social media it will only be a matter of time before we hear cases of war veterans that voice their own opinions being arrested and detained indefinitely under NDAA powers.

To be honest, I'm more annoyed with security council members voting to send young men and women to war, but who don't have the balls to send their own.

On principle, I get what you're saying. But that is just lunacy.

Colmustard wrote: »
    I doubt it, that seems tinhat stuff.

'Tinhat' stuff?

Did you even bother clicking on the links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

'Tinhat' stuff?

Did you even bother clicking on the links?

All of them
    and IMO it conspiracy shyte.

Under greater Britain is it Fred?

Na. We booted ye out of most of the Island a while ago. Maybe you didn't get that memo.
    Colmustard wrote: »
    All of them
    and IMO it conspiracy shyte.

Well then you haven't a clue and I have no further interest in discussing it with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Well then you haven't a clue and I have no further interest in discussing it with you.

To be fair, these links that you posted do seem very conspiracy theory-esque.
    There are a number of reasons for the US/Western occupation of Afghanistan.

Full spectrum dominance of the US military.

Neocon nation building experiment.

Encirclement Iran.

Resource/territory control.

Usually if somebody posts any link that mentions NWO, I switch off altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Na. We booted ye out of most of the Island a while ago. Maybe you didn't get that memo.

i laughed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

As far as I know the Irish Army is serving in Afghanistan,allbeit not in the front line.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Usually if somebody posts any link that mentions NWO, I switch off altogether.

I just did a CTRL+F 'NWO' search of the links and it came up with nothing.

Were you reading the same pages?

(Not sure I should even bother having this discussion at all in AH.)

What the **** are you on/on about?

I just did a CTRL+F 'NWO' search of the links and it came up with nothing.

Were you reading the same pages?

(Not sure I should even bother having this discussion at all in AH.)

Full Spectrum Dominance: Totalitarian Democracy in the New World Order
    This was listed in the further reading section of the first link. To be honest that whole "Full spectrum dominance" thing just smacks of New World Order conspiracy theory shíte.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for sensible discussions on the subject and those links you posted did make for interesting reading but I don't go for the whole conspiracy theory thing myself.

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    As far as I know the Irish Army is serving in Afghanistan,allbeit not in the front line.

They are. There are about four people there at any one time.

What the **** are you on/on about?

Rather than you condemning your own elite in the UK for getting involved in Still being in Afghanistan and getting involved in Iraq (against the wishes of the UK population in the latter case) all you can come up with is 'Ireland should be in Afghanistan'.

Well no. We don't want our troops there and for someone from the UK to be suggesting we should is a fucking joke. Quit trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The initial deployment was 5,300 troops from 30 countries, mainly concentrated on Kabul. Ireland's contribution is seven personnel, who operate in ISAF HQ, four being employed in the Liaison and Negotiations Branch.
    Duration
    December 2001 to date
    Operation type
    NATO-PfP led Peace Support Operations
    Commitment
    7 Personnel
    Visit the official ISAF Site

This was listed in the further reading section of the first link. To be honest that whole "Full spectrum dominance" thing just smacks of New World Order conspiracy theory shíte.

Full spectrum dominance is a US military doctrine. It's not even a secret.

Here it is being talked about in a US DOD website.
    Full-spectrum dominance means the ability of U.S. forces, operating alone or with allies, to defeat any adversary and control any situation across the range of military operations

www.defense.gov

Yes I know that but I still don't understand why you listed that as a reason why US forces entered Afghanistan.
    Full spectrum dominance is a military aim. It is to achieve dominance in the battlefield. It's aim isn't to control the world in some New World Order. This is the part I have a problem with. People try to see the conspiracy in everything. There is no conspiracy in Full Spectrum Dominance as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

Yes I know that but I still don't understand why you listed that as a reason why US forces entered Afghanistan.
    Full spectrum dominance is a military aim. It is to achieve dominance in the battlefield. It's aim isn't to control the world in some New World Order. This is the part I have a problem with. People try to see the conspiracy in everything. There is no conspiracy in Full Spectrum Dominance as far as I can see.

That's the conspiracy.

IceFjoem wrote: »
    That's the conspiracy.

I see you're part of the tinfoil hat brigade too.

It's aim isn't to control the world in some New World Order.

I didn't say it was. You brought up the NWO. The west will not be able to bring China/Russia (and probably not Iran) under it's sphere of influence no matter what it does imo.

There is no one reason for the US/West to be in Afghanistan. There are many reasons. Some reasons may have had noble, if naive, intentions and some not so noble. The US/West had a strong interest in Afghanistan well before 9/11.

I see you're part of the tinfoil hat brigade too.

Another well hidden conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's all the direct result of decades old US foreign policy. There's no conspiracy theory. America directly exploits in order to maintain global dominance of power. Afghanistan and far more so Iraq and Iran were always going to be corralled. 911 allowed a lot of things to happen at once and in drastic fashion, but it's not that they weren't on the radar already. That's why CT nuts love to say the thing was orchestrated, which is not what I'm saying, just throwing that in fyi.

I didn't say it was. You brought up the NWO.

I just brought it up because it was mentioned in one of your links. I thought you were implying that the US entered Afghanistan as a step towards an NWO.
    Crossed wires obviously. My mistake there.

This thread has gone on long enough without any Israel bashing, which to me seems a bit unreasonable.

Rather than you condemning your own elite in the UK for getting involved in Still being in Afghanistan and getting involved in Iraq (against the wishes of the UK population in the latter case) all you can come up with is 'Ireland should be in Afghanistan'.

Well no. We don't want our troops there and for someone from the UK to be suggesting we should is a fucking joke. Quit trolling.

LOL.

There is no reason the Irish army aren't there to be honest, all it needs is a vote in the Dial and the triple lock would be released.

But obviousl it is ok for you to rant and rave about other countries, but anyone mention Ireland and they are trolling.

You're losing it mate.

Shryke wrote: »
    That's why CT nuts love to say the thing was orchestrated, which is nor what I'm saying, just throwing that in fyi.

Oh I'm with you there. I don't talk politics over in the CT forums because there are too many people who think that there are men in rooms controlling every aspect of their lives. If they were really in control there would be no Shia influence in Iraq, no Russian and Chinese oil/mining companies Iraq/Afghanistan.

The thing is - there is a lot of valuable information pushed to the edges that only pops up in media outlets that are deemed CT bastions. It's being able to filter out the bits that are realistic from the mad **** that's difficult.

I like to think I have a little bit of skill in telling the paranoid bollocks apart from the (deliberately) marginalised truths. There's also quite a bit of pandering to the CT audience too in certain media outlets - people like Alex Jones make a career out of it (****ing idiot).

There is no reason the Irish army aren't there to be honest,

In your little fantasy world is it Fred? Why should we send our men out there to be blown to pieces for... for what?
    all it needs is a vote in the Dial and the triple lock would be released.

While you're looking into your crystal ball will you get me the results of next weeks lotto numbers? There's a good lad.
    You're losing it mate.

I'm quite lucid thanks.

The problem here is that you're all butt-hurt because the British blew it in Afghanistan and can't beat the Taliban. Look closer to home for the reasons why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I support the war in Afghanistan but I want our troops out. I have friends' whose husbands are deployed and every time another story about a casualty pops up, my heart sinks. I sit on the DoD website and refresh the page looking for updates. I wait and reach out and pray that it wasn't their spouse. I want out because our troops are just plain exhausted. This is not a war that can be won. We rotate new troops in every 9-12 months bringing inconsistency in mission and values; in contrast, it is their home. Their warriors will be born there and trained there. No teary departures, no skype family sessions, nothing like that. They water the crops, pick up a rifle, and then go back to the house to eat dinner with the family. We are two entirely different cultures; perhaps if the old Afghan King's dynasty had survived, it would be a different place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I support the war in Afghanistan but I want our troops out. I have friends' whose husbands are deployed and every time another story about a casualty pops up, my heart sinks. I sit on the DoD website and refresh the page looking for updates. I wait and reach out and pray that it wasn't their spouse. I want out because our troops are just plain exhausted. This is not a war that can be won. We rotate new troops in every 9-12 months bringing inconsistency in mission and values; in contrast, it is their home. Their warriors will be born there and trained there. No teary departures, no skype family sessions, nothing like that. They water the crops, pick up a rifle, and then go back to the house to eat dinner with the family. We are two entirely different cultures; perhaps if the old Afghan King's dynasty had survived, it would be a different place.
    Why the f** do you support it then....

Advertisement